Did We Write Off Hawthorn Too Soon?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s due to the timing of the award. It’s handed out prior to the GF.
One of the reasons they moved it to pre grand final instead of pre finals last year

Isnt the coach award voted by media?

He isnt exactly a media pet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
voted on by the members of the AFLCA

It does.

Swans were favourites for the flag and the media was gushing over their season.
is that the same season where we had the same # of wins, but the Swans had a 1% better percentage (though if it went on for and against we had them comfortably)?

No wonder the media fapped all over them.

The coaches vote. And funnily enough, they all seem to claim to have voted for him during our successful years.
Maybe all of the coaches submission got lost all those years except clarkos so who ever he voted for won?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clarko will be relishing the challenge of Cyril Rioli and Puopolo being injured,even though frustrated by their loss.
Similar to last year.

He had Cyril, Pop, Frawley, O’Meara, Birchall, Ceglar and Stratton in the stands, then got us on a roll.

It's not that hard to understand. The coaches association made up an award, which they vote on at the end of the home and away. It's obvious this was done to differentiate the award from premiership coach who gets the Jock McHale medal. Any person would give up 100 CA awards for 1 Jock McHale medal.

It's not that hard to understand. The coaches association made up an award, which they vote on at the end of the home and away. It's obvious this was done to differentiate the award from premiership coach who gets the Jock McHale medal. Any person would give up 100 CA awards for 1 Jock McHale medal.

Yep. As nice as it would be for the coaches to have recognised Clarko, Im sure he sleeps pretty uncomfortably on a bed of Jock McHale medals...

Clarko won’t be bothered by the injuries because he will see it as a chance to bring in new players and prepare them in their roles.

It’s how he finds out who belongs on the list and who doesn’t. How do you think he continues to recreate power teams so quickly?

We are not a premiership contender by any stretch but every year he coached games one week at a time with a view of getting the most out of his plan and the learning of the players we have ... All said and done if he manages to get us a top 4 spot then he goes into beast mode to try and win us a flag. I love him and whether we win it this year or not is not what matters. What matters is he keeps making us better and if we don’t we’ll be right up there next year. And if we do, hail another 2008, but this time it won’t be Geelong supporters heartbroken, it will be Tigers fans.

It can’t be that much of a differential; when you remove Clarksons premiership years, the premiership coach has won 7 of the remaining 11 years.

Don't know why you're so touchy about this. It's actually a compliment.

Not all multiple premiership players are super talented.

Some players get lucky. But its rare to see s**t players selected year after year...

You left your run too late? Or Richmond took there foot off when they were 39 up. It can be looked at in 2 ways.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

We had a 6 day break vs a 9 day break. You can be sure Dimma was seriously pissed off at their final term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can’t be that much of a differential; when you remove Clarksons premiership years, the premiership coach has won 7 of the remaining 11 years.

Maybe the voters have a point. Winning a flag if you are not Clarko has proven quite difficult. In fact since 2012 the only blokes who have managed it were both Clarko proteges. Perhaps the voters are simply recognizing how difficult it is to succeed as a coach if you are not in fact Clarko. Winning flags is too easy for Clarko. He is after all Clarko. Giving him the award would make no sense.

Soooooo it doesn’t go to the best coach (in the opinion of the coaches) of the year? What’s the point?

Maybe the voters have a point. Winning a flag if you are not Clarko has proven quite difficult. In fact since 2012 the only blokes who have managed it were both Clarko proteges. Perhaps the voters are simply recognizing how difficult it is to succeed as a coach if you are not in fact Clarko. Winning flags is too easy for Clarko. He is after all Clarko. Giving him the award would make no sense.

Lol, yeah, kinda makes sense :think::thumbsu:

The idea that Hawthorn might not be as good without Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and Gibson is valid and correct.

The belief that this would suddenly mean Hawthorn would, by virtue of losing these few players, be spending 5 years in the bottom 4 with no youth, no prospects and no other talent only represented the fervent fantasies of some ...err..."posteriorly pained" individuals...

I have NEVER written off the Hannibal Lecter of the AFL.
The club is #1, the team is classy, the coach is #1.
Cyril out? No worries- watch Hardwick own that spot.

I have NEVER written off the Hannibal Lecter of the AFL.
The club is #1, the team is classy, the coach is #1.
Cyril out? No worries- watch Hardwick own that spot.
a few have wondered if he will get switched forward based on where he played during TAC

a few have wondered if he will get switched forward based on where he played during TAC
Having been involved with ER, I'd say it's a certainty. His aerial leap was great. He loves a goal. Having Played in defence will make him a super small forward now, imho.

Having been involved with ER, I'd say it's a certainty. His aerial leap was great. He loves a goal. Having Played in defence will make him a super small forward now, imho.
I reckon he will end up in the middle, I could see him going forward if Clarko thinks that is the right move for his development, if not though we will see someone else moved forward of brought in and Dimma will be left where he is

I reckon he will end up in the middle, I could see him going forward if Clarko thinks that is the right move for his development, if not though we will see someone else moved forward of brought in and Dimma will be left where he is
A very handy acquisition; can clearly play a number of roles. Does he remind you at all of Aker (minus the antics)?

A very handy acquisition; can clearly play a number of roles. Does he remind you at all of Aker (minus the antics)?
Hasn't shown the left foot of Aker for starters. I like him, has a ton of mongrel, has skill, has hardness. That will to compete and that willingness to not back down no matter who is fronting you, that is gold.

The fact that he can play footy on top of that makes him a great proposition. First time I saw him I thought we'd make him a mid, then we played him as a small forward and he struggled, got worried until they moved him down back.

Figured he'd found his place like Guerra and that he was going to fill that role, but I've heard that midfield theory is still on the table and I think if given the chance he could end up there.

Either way I'm a big fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back