Did you start Uni/Tafe later than most?

How old when you started studying post high school?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just do it! when you go to your graduation ceremony you will be so proud of yourself. There were days I thought I would never finish. Just do one or two units at a time. What were you studying?

I was initially doing journalism but kept picking history electives. In my first year of journalism you had young female school leaders who had no idea. "I don't care what I do, as long as I'm on television!" I actually found it really rewarding to see some young people go on to do amazing things.I was honored when some of them respected me enough to come to me for advice. There can be a lot of rewards as a mature age student, as long as you also have an open and accepting mind.

Started off with the vanilla commerce degree then eventually switched over to Psychology which was really really boring despite thinking I'd enjoy it as I did it during school and in hindsight I wish I just stuck with commerce. But yeah I really do want to finish a degree one day it's just it would've been a whole lot easier doing it straight out of school. I'll be 23 next year so if I can somehow smash it out by the time I'm 26 or so then it's not the worst outcome, as I would like some sort of earning capacity above base rate in my lifetime. And the HECS can go and get stuffed.

Started off with the vanilla commerce degree then eventually switched over to Psychology which was really really boring despite thinking I'd enjoy it as I did it during school and in hindsight I wish I just stuck with commerce. But yeah I really do want to finish a degree one day it's just it would've been a whole lot easier doing it straight out of school. I'll be 23 next year so if I can somehow smash it out by the time I'm 26 or so then it's not the worst outcome, as I would like some sort of earning capacity above base rate in my lifetime. And the HECS can go and get stuffed.

I turned 52 a few days ago *gulp*. It's never too late! I grew up during a time in Australia when girls were not encouraged to go to university. My dad was of the opinion that you either married well or went to secretarial college. I was fortunate to have a husband who encouraged me to go to uni :)

Poll is stuffed because none of the choices apply to me.

I made the primary school cut-off by 6 days so I was always one of the youngest kids in my level. I did not turn 18 until after Semester 1 exams in 1st Year Uni. I don't know what the rules are these days but given my experience, I would not recommend anyone starting uni that is not at least 18. Anyway, for one reason or another, my first stint at Uni was not a great one, and after deferring once then returning, I withdrew.

I applied again for Uni a couple years later and was accepted into the course I wanted. I was 21y 8m this time around and my experience was very different. I maintained a HD average, got a scholarship to study in Europe, did my final year (SAP) project at Toyota Australia, found it easy to find work.

I've done many industry courses since but have not returned to University. I have always considered it, perhaps doing a Masters but I don't know how helpful an MBA would be to my career. I came close this year to starting a Postgraduate course in Cybersecurity but decided to postpone.

Poll is stuffed because none of the choices apply to me.
Yeah I agree because as I mentioned earlier in the thread , likewise

I would not recommend anyone starting uni that is not at least 18
I disagree with this though , because many of the most awesome alternatives to do before uni eg travel are difficult whilst under 18 and poor anyway .

I disagree with this though , because many of the most awesome alternatives to do before uni eg travel are difficult whilst under 18 and poor anyway .
Kids should not start primary school at such an age that they are not 18 if they go to Uni immediately after high school.

Kids should not start primary school at such an age that they are not 18 if they go to Uni immediately after high school.
When I finished school , hardly anyone was 18 in first year unless they weren’t a school leaver as the cutoffs matched calendar years ie only those with Jan/Feb birthdays were 18 by the time uni started . The school entry (and therefore leaving ) age has risen in WA since then , but even with the new cutoffs , about 1/4 of the year 12 cohort will still be under 18 for at least part of the first semester of uni . I don’t think that’s a bad thing

I skipped a year which meant that I was under 18 for all for first year and almost half of second year though . I survived (mainly because I hardly drank alcohol and still don’t ) , but I did miss out on some activities which I would’ve otherwise loved to do eg the ball

Back in 1991 here in VIC when I started Uni, 75% of students would have been 18 by March 4 when Uni started. I was in the 25%.

Not only that, but I was in the 5% that were still not 18 after having finished 1st Semester exams.

For those that went back to uni at a later age 30+~, did you do so to further your current education to progress your current career or so that you could get yourself into a career?

Might be a hard question to answer without the perspective of different ages but do you think it was harder/easier to find a job after completing your degree as a mature student?
I'm doing it to change careers. Finishing my degree in a couple of weeks so I'll see how I go in getting a job. All I know is being a mature aged student and already having a career in another field I feel a lot more confident than the young people finishing their degrees. I also took the degree more seriously as I'm doing it for a reason and not just there because I didn't know what to do after school. Seen so many fade away over the last few years or limp through with multiple unit fails/low marks due to their social lives being more important.

For those that went back to uni at a later age 30+~, did you do so to further your current education to progress your current career or so that you could get yourself into a career?

Might be a hard question to answer without the perspective of different ages but do you think it was harder/easier to find a job after completing your degree as a mature student?

I did my undergrad straight out of uni (engineering) ****ed around, partied etc and barely passed (failed a shitload of subjects on the way through). Went back a few years ago for my MBA (I'm now 37), it was a lot easier than eng but I have a family and full time job now of course but had a 75 average i think, was in a way better space to do well.

I did this to further my current career and facilitate a move into management, though it appears management consulting may be an option if I get sick of my current industry.

Ultimately it is each to their own. Some thrive in transitioning straight into uni from year 12; others find their feet at a later stage in their life.

I went straight into uni, graduated and proceeded into my chosen profession. On reflection, if I started uni later on I am confident to say my exam prep strategies etc would be a lot smarter and I would use my time more effectively. But that is informed by the time management skills I have gained from professional employment and also being older and having a lot more responsibilities than as an 18-23 year old.

Credit to anyone who completes uni while juggling full time work and/or a family and/or other major responsibilities.

Yes, l completed a certificate four training and assessment in 2013, lm passionate about my career and keep educating and learning.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t see many negatives to NOT going straight into tertiary education. I had traveled more by the time I was 22 than most of my mates had by the time they were 35.

Take at least a year off, mature a little, get some life experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello folks :)

Yes, I commenced Uni second semester this year at age 47 - studying full time externally though. Attempted on campus study 2 years ago, but....well, it just didn't work. But I love studying and the discipline of being a student - really, really enjoying it. Saddled up for trimester 3 over the coming summer months. I never finished high school, sat a mature age student ATAR equivalent exam at the start of 2016 to get an entrance score and did well enough to jump straight into university study. To the OP, don't be nervous at all - go in there and get into it! :)

I'm studying to change the world lol :) Money, (fame? :D), a good job and the like aren't my motivations at all - making a difference to society however, is :D

I don’t see many negatives to NOT going straight into tertiary education. I had traveled more by the time I was 22 than most of my mates had by the time they were 35.

Take at least a year off, mature a little, get some life experience.
Can depend on what course you're doing. My memory of year 12 math and physics was already shaky after just the summer off, I would have struggled to pass my first year if I took extra time off. The pass rate in my course was definitely skewed in favour of those who went straight to university rather than take the gap year.

Can depend on what course you're doing. My memory of year 12 math and physics was already shaky after just the summer off, I would have struggled to pass my first year if I took extra time off. The pass rate in my course was definitely skewed in favour of those who went straight to university rather than take the gap year.
Yes, good point. STEM would be harder to take a break away from.

Just started an engineering degree at the spritely age of 39 with 3 kids under 9... tough at times but a much more consistent effort from myself from when I was 20 something doing business. Being a shift worker has allowed me 4-5 days off at a time to tend to study but got a long road ahead! Really enjoying it and find it thoroughly rewarding, go for it no matter what your age:thumbsu:

Back