Senior List
Sep 22, 2003
Behind You !!
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide est.1870
Didak swap for Stevens ??

I have heard that there is talk of a clean swap ......... Nick Stevens for Alan Didak, can anyone confirm this ??

A player capable of 30+ possession games for a player who, at his best can get the ball 10 times a match and maybe kick 2 goals............ummmmm, no.
Not to downplay the skill of Alan Didak but in his current incarnation, even though Stephens last few games have been pretty ordinary he is still in nowhere the same league as him.

Would need some sweeteners from Collingwood, like their first round pick at the least, but from what has been posted on this board, Port has said he won't be traded to the Pies under any circumstances. Not the first time this has happened. Eagles did it with Gehrig and Freo did it with Heath Black. I wonder why? ;)

Originally posted by mic59
A player capable of 30+ possession games for a player who, at his best can get the ball 10 times a match and maybe kick 2 goals............ummmmm, no.
Not to downplay the skill of Alan Didak but in his current incarnation, even though Stephens last few games have been pretty ordinary he is still in nowhere the same league as him.

That actually came from Port Adelaide as a suggestion, if I heard correctly.

I think he'd be great in two ways for Port.

Firstly he would take Dew's place as the one to kick goals from outside 50 and he's a lot more mobile than Dew.

Port could trade Dew while he has genuine market value. His final appearances aren't exactly enhancing that value.

I think Steven's departure might be a real positive thing for Port, as it will force choco to do what he should have done, and play Ebert and Salopek as mid-fielders and hasten their development .

On top of that it could well be the trigger for Port to do several deals that strengthens their list in what is their currenly weaker areas, while moving on players not vital for them to have finals success.

Port would rather deal with someone like the Tigers rather than Collingwood.

They get an earlier draft pick and still other South Australians that could be part of the deal.

You don't trade quality players to sides that could still be a treat to you in the following couple of years.( Trade down not up)

Originally posted by Adrenaline

They get an earlier draft pick and still other South Australians that could be part of the deal.

You don't trade quality players to sides that could still be a treat to you in the following couple of years.( Trade down not up)

Gawd wish i could spell .........treat = threat

Originally posted by Sera
Would need some sweeteners from Collingwood, like their first round pick at the least, but from what has been posted on this board, Port has said he won't be traded to the Pies under any circumstances. Not the first time this has happened. Eagles did it with Gehrig and Freo did it with Heath Black. I wonder why? ;)

Mick the poaching swine!! :mad:

I think Didak for Stevens would be in the Pies favour as it is, so perhaps Didak and their 2nd round pick for Stevens would be better.

Stevens is a proven performer coming up on around 24 - Didak a bit younger but still to truely proove himself at AFL level.

Could happen if Collingwood are after Stevens.

Collingwood (as much as l hate to say it) is in the box seat. Didak for Stevens isnt a fair swap, but then again PA may be forced to take it rather than get nothing.

Stevens has indicated that he doesnt mind running the risk of the pre-season draft to come home. That may mean he doesnt play with the pies... but ultimately he still gets what he wants.

Collingwood has the bargaining power (pardon the pun), and PA wont achieve anything better in the trade that's for sure.

I'm annoyed at the way we dont want to trade with Collingwood. If we keep stuffing up, he'll just nominate for the Pre Season Draft and we'll get nothing. Realistically, we need to trade him and get something in return. Our list is getting a little stale. I wouldnt mind Didak, I think he'd flourish back over here. But didnt he just sign?

Originally posted by Sera
Port has said he won't be traded to the Pies under any circumstances. I wonder why? ;)

Clubs are wary of trading with the Pies because of recent trade success with the likes of Clement, Holland etc.

An unprofessional club like Port Power aren't trading with Collingwood because they know they would get bent over and raped up the arse!

Port are just way out of their depth come trade-time.

Originally posted by jonty
Clubs are wary of trading with the Pies because of recent trade success with the likes of Clement, Holland etc.

An unprofessional club like Port Power aren't trading with Collingwood because they know they would get bent over and raped up the arse!

That's a farking huge call! How about names like these:

- Primus (Fitzroy)
- Wanganeen (Essendon)
- Bishop (Melbourne)
- Paxman (Fitzroy)
- Wakelin (St. Kilda)
- Hardwick (Essendon)

They've done well in the past. I'm not sticking up for them because l'd love the wobbles to * them in the arse, but they havent done too badly.

Originally posted by jonty

You really don't have a clue. Port have been **** in finals, but have done very well at trade time. Cochrane for that gun Michael Stevens, Bishop and Montgomery for Eagleton, Pickett for not much. You're obviously mistaking us for the old Freo recruiting staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't want to trade for Collingwood's players, then thats fine. Its a long time until trade week, and there's plenty of non-grand finalists that would be happy to start chatting now.

Re: Didak swap for Stevens ??

Originally posted by aaricho
I have heard that there is talk of a clean swap ......... Nick Stevens for Alan Didak, can anyone confirm this ??

Didak is far superior in the finger waggling stakes.

Good post, someone who actually thinks before hitting the keys on his keyboard. This is very sound logic unless Collingwood offer a crazy deal too good to refuse.

I know for example in the NFL that teams are reticent to trade with clubs within their own division eg. the Dallas Cowboys rarely trade with Washington, Philadelphia or the NY Giants because they don't want to add to the strength of a rival club. I think this line of thinking should and probably already exists with AFL clubs and dealing top players to similar strength clubs as is the case in this Stevens/Didak scenario.

Re: Re: Didak swap for Stevens ??

Originally posted by oh_my_hat
Clean swaps aren't permitted, there must also be an exchange of draft pick(s) too.

Damian Adkins for Andrew Williams was a straight swap between Collingwood and West Coast in the most recent 'trade week'

Sorry to ruin your theory, but you see, using logic, there are 2 sides to a trade. IE if one trades up, the other must trade down. The thing about it is, it becomes a lottery, and you can't tell which club was the winner of the trade until much time has elapsed after the trade. Things like injuries to one of the players, poor form etc plays a role. There can be no clear winner of a trade when it is made, as it cannot be judged on past performances.

Originally posted by yikes
Didak won't be traded

He's on a conjtract with 2 years left too run and he bought a house recently I think.
Nick Stevens just bought a house too, next door to Josh Francou I beleive and contracts don`t mean much these days when trade week comes around.

Port don't want to trade with the pies because Collingwood have nothing to offer for Stevens. Didak isn't going anywhere, so who else are they going to offer? They don't have high draft picks either.

Even if Stevens goes into the draft, it still frees up a heap of money for Port to spend on another player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back