TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
They just look at the overall nutrient profile and tell you brown kills white, true, but the nutrients in brown rice are useles to humans. Waste of time eating it, plus it tastes like crap.

Fair enough, i do like basmati rice is that one akin to plain old white rice?
Kinda right about it not tasting as good, also it takes a lot longer to cook.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Let Mark Sisson explain about the benefits of the different types of rice. It's an excelent rundown on all the various rice

Brown Rice
It’s the “healthier” choice because it still has the bran, with all its nutrients. In a 100g dose, raw brown rice contains:

• 77 g carb
  • 3.5 g fiber
  • 3 g fat
  • 8 g protein
  • 0.4 mg thiamin (Vitamin B1)
  • 5 mg niacin
  • 1.5 mg iron
  • 143 mg magnesium
  • 223 mg potassium
I mean, even the most ardent zero-carber would have to admit that brown rice sports an impressive nutrient profile (to clarify, that’s 100g raw; 100g cooked is far less impressive). But most of it is bound up with phytic acid and mostly useless to humans. Rats and other rodents produce phytase, which breaks down phytic acid and releases the bound minerals, but until we engineer rat-human hybrids, we’re not enjoying the full potential of brown rice. Another option is to soak and ferment brown rice, as Stephan details here. To me, though, this just sounds like a ton of work, and I worry that the newly unbound minerals will just leech into the soaking/fermenting liquid along with the phytate and the other antinutrients. If you toss the liquid, won’t you be tossing the nutrients, too? Hopefully Stephan can chime in with some clarification.

White Rice
Mostly neutral. A 100g dose (raw) contains:

• 80 g carb
  • 1 g fiber
  • 0.6 g fat
  • 7 g protein
  • 0.07 mg thiamin
  • 1.6 g niacin
  • 0.8 mg iron
  • 25 mg magnesium
Pretty meager, right? Not many nutrients, pretty high in starchy carbs – eating white rice and nothing but will lead to nutritional deficiencies fast, but not because white rice is leeching nutrients from you. It’s simply a matter of displacement. White rice replaces other, more nutritious foods, and in some cases, it acts as a vehicle for negative foods, like rancid oils and sugar.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-rice-unhealthy/#ixzz3wiSLHCbm

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Another super (and probably more time efficient) cardio as well is skipping. Target have weighted skipping ropes (which I have been loving) for $5. Swimming is a lot easier on the joints too if you get sick of jogging (also is a full body workout which jogging cannot compare with.)
As much as I like swimming not sure about it for someone trying the lose weight, makes you ****ing hungry.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Good luck with it all, i also love rice.
I've recently switched to Brown Rice and also Basmati rice (which i was eating before sometimes)

With dieting and lifestyle changes like this.
It's not one size fits all, not every dieting plan will suit each persons lifestyle.

I'm personally allowing myself one day a fortnight where i can have a few beers/soft drink and some more indulgent food. (ie Pizza, pasta, chicken snitzel, etc.)
I think it helps me to stick to eating healthy every other time and not go crazy.

Had some toast before with avocado as butter with cucumbers and red onions on it.
Quite tasty.

Having a cheat meal once a week/two weeks is very underated tool in weight loss. Exactly for the reason you said, get rid of cravings and helps keep you on track.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
They just look at the overall nutrient profile and tell you brown kills white, true, but the nutrients in brown rice are useles to humans. Waste of time eating it, plus it tastes like crap.

What's your thoughts on oats Bazzar?
I am thinking of including them in my diet. I read a lot of health and fitness magazines and most people in them say that oats is a big part of their diet.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Sure does, i remember when doing swimming lessons in school i would want hot chips afterwards.
I usually throw some fruit or something to eat in the swim bag for when you get out so it's less likely you will be tempted to eat any crap afterwards.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's your thoughts on oats Bazzar?
I am thinking of including them in my diet. I read a lot of health and fitness magazines and most people in them say that oats is a big part of their diet.

Oats are a grain containing phytic acid & glutamate which is no good for allot of people, known to cause kidney stones, & raise inflammation like most carbs.
Stop reading health n fitness mags whom I'm sure are sponsored by uncle Toby's!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back