Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

I was of the understanding that the Club prepares a lot of the players meals not all players and not all meals either just some. That is then deducted from their salary.

I saw once on the Pies show on Foxtel, players taking meals home. They looked great too and very very cheap from what I understand.

It also depends on club to club. Port were doing some form of low carb eating program when they had a good year a few years ago, but exactly what that was comprised of we don't exactly know.
Port must have stopped the low carb strategy. It's obviously the only explanation for their drop down the ladder.

Does anyone know what a typical diet of an afl player would like during preseason I understand they vary quite a bit

There is no typical diet for an AFL player. All clubs would keep the diet of players in house, all clubs would have varying philosophies not to mention a skinny 18 year old vs a veteran 30 year old would be very different.

Port never gave much away, but for memory they were only consuming 50g per day and then load up 1-2 days out from a game and by load up I mean 200g of carbs so not even a big loading.

IMO diet is pretty overrated when it comes to ability, diet will help/hinder your performance.

Ports lack of results the last two years is more to do with their game plan being figured out and their mental approach to a game as opposed to the foods they are and aren't eating.

Port never gave much away, but for memory they were only consuming 50g per day and then load up 1-2 days out from a game and by load up I mean 200g of carbs so not even a big loading.

IMO diet is pretty overrated when it comes to ability, diet will help/hinder your performance.

Ports lack of results the last two years is more to do with their game plan being figured out and their mental approach to a game as opposed to the foods they are and aren't eating.
At the end of 2014 the great man Phil Walsh left, Paddy arrived, Voss arrived, just lots of chopping and changing. This year was very bad in the way of suspensions and injuries, and some shite play at times. And yeah, probably some game plan being worked out, like u said.

Or was it the diet. Fork knows...

Next year we'll be up there.

Port must have stopped the low carb strategy. It's obviously the only explanation for their drop down the ladder.

Who mentioned anything to do with why they have dropped down the ladder? I used it as an example of how diverse diets are taken from club to club and year to year. Nothing has been mentioned about ladder position or why they have or have not had success.

Operation pot guts has commenced.
Food for today.( I work 2 till midnight)
Up at 10.30 two bits of light rye toast with real butter (flatly refuse to eat marg as its not even a food) and a cup of tea
Food for work tonight, two bits of small crumbed whiting (the packet stuff) steamed veggies, broccoli runner beans peas and some yellow squash with two small pieces of sweet potato and a tiny tiny boiled potato cut in half....all of this fits into a small plastic soup pot measuring 13cms wide and 9 deep
20 odd cashews and a small banana

If i cheat I will make myself a chocolate milk with Hershey chocolate syrup :oops: but will hold out as long as I can

Operation pot guts has commenced.
Food for today.( I work 2 till midnight)
Up at 10.30 two bits of light rye toast with real butter (flatly refuse to eat marg as its not even a food) and a cup of tea
Food for work tonight, two bits of small crumbed whiting (the packet stuff) steamed veggies, broccoli runner beans peas and some yellow squash with two small pieces of sweet potato and a tiny tiny boiled potato cut in half....all of this fits into a small plastic soup pot measuring 13cms wide and 9 deep
20 odd cashews and a small banana

If i cheat I will make myself a chocolate milk with Hershey chocolate syrup :oops: but will hold out as long as I can

Whats your height and weight at the moment?

For mine that's not a lot of food at all. You will lose weight because you are basically starving yourself, protein intake is very low which means muscle wastage as well as fat loss. The body is pretty amazing and bloody frustrating at the same time, to long on to low calories your metabolism will slow down and if your calorie intake is already very low where do u go from your current intake. Just think after 3-4 weeks eating what you have noted above and your weight loss stalls what do you remove to kick start more weight loss.

184cm
82 kilo

Yeah its not much
im going to have some porridge I have stashed in my work locker around 10pm

A real rough guess your maintenance calories would be around 2500, I'd be surprised if youre getting 1000 calories from the food you listed above.

Well ive got the same to eat today
I had that porridge last night too.

Exercise each day
Nothing major
Some stretching, some planks and squats mainly core work all body weight stuff only
Mrs has one of those Chuck Norris cable bench things so I use that to stretch the shoulders and back as some nights I have to do a fair bit of lifting at work.
If I don't lose a few kilos of the gut by this time next week I'll approach it diff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well ive got the same to eat today
I had that porridge last night too.

Exercise each day
Nothing major
Some stretching, some planks and squats mainly core work all body weight stuff only
Mrs has one of those Chuck Norris cable bench things so I use that to stretch the shoulders and back as some nights I have to do a fair bit of lifting at work.
If I don't lose a few kilos of the gut by this time next week I'll approach it diff

Nothing wrong with what you are eating just IMO you are just not eating enough. You will probably lose 2kgs in a week, but honestly that tells me you aren't eating enough. Don't expect miracles, and you will mostly likely lose weight from other areas of your body before it "uses" the fat around your stomach (remember you can't spot reduce fat loss). Patience is the key to weight loss, slow and steady wins the race.

Update on my low cal experiment 22/08 - 28/08

Overall very happy with my first week getting back into shape managed to average only 1800 cals for the week despite a huge refeed on Saturday. Macros also look excellent and considering the volume of carbs ingested on Saturday to only come out of the week at 11% of total calories consumed is awesome.

blogger-image--1227134324.jpg

blogger-image-1249127915.jpg

Training wise I'm very happy as well obviously I'm still building back my strength and cardio vascular endurance but things look great so far.

blogger-image-2008398793.jpg

I'm also stoked with the 24 hour fasts I completed on Monday and Friday which I got through with flying colours.

From a weight loss point of view I dropped about a kilo over the week and have lost about 3cm from around my waist so things are looking very positive on all fronts at the moment.

Update on my low cal experiment 22/08 - 28/08

Overall very happy with my first week getting back into shape managed to average only 1800 cals for the week despite a huge refeed on Saturday. Macros also look excellent and considering the volume of carbs ingested on Saturday to only come out of the week at 11% of total calories consumed is awesome.

blogger-image--1227134324.jpg

blogger-image-1249127915.jpg

Training wise I'm very happy as well obviously I'm still building back my strength and cardio vascular endurance but things look great so far.

blogger-image-2008398793.jpg

I'm also stoked with the 24 hour fasts I completed on Monday and Friday which I got through with flying colours.

From a weight loss point of view I dropped about a kilo over the week and have lost about 3cm from around my waist so things are looking very positive on all fronts at the moment.
Just one other note on this, I'm pretty sure my running is been hampered by my low calories. Went for a run this morning and it felt like I was wearing a lead belt.

Not that I'm bothered by it though, it will be interesting to see what happens when I eventually increase my calories.

I was going to complete a 24 hour fast after my run this morning but I started getting a bit of a tickle in my through which normally means I'm getting a cold, I've tried fasting my way out of a cold to no avail in the past so I decided to have a couple of slices of toast for breakfast (after my BP coffee) so I could take some multivitamins and echinacea, which I've found very helpful in the past.

Everyone's genetics are different, but if you are lean enough most guys commonly store that stubborn fat below the belly button, lower back area. You say your diet is pretty spot on, but to get rid of the last bit of fat you need to dial in your diet some more.
Is your diet too low carb for too long?

Sprints
Leg work
Abs and core
Boxing

Incorporate that and make sure you have higher carbs higher fat day (s)

Be consistent for 4 weeks and consistent in general and that ab fat will go.

Is your diet too low carb for too long?

Sprints
Leg work
Abs and core
Boxing

Incorporate that and make sure you have higher carbs higher fat day (s)

Be consistent for 4 weeks and consistent in general and that ab fat will go.

Your ab fat will go when you've dieted long enough to lose non essential fat from your chest, arms ect.

Average calories last week bumped up to 2119 per day due to accidentally getting drunk on monday (it was a public holiday in the UK) then getting crook on Friday.

Feeling 100% now though and still lost 1kg in the week, hoping for a solid week of 1500 cals this week :)

Was expecting a bit more saj tbh.
Gonna have to ramp up exercising maybe
Just can't seem to get the waste smaller
Look I'm not overweight or anything and people laugh when I say I wanna lose the guts, but im just sick of the pot belly
I'm eating well
Last two weeks I've had fish and veggies, cooked some stir fry with beef eye fillet sliced up in it, had porridge and home made soups, nuts etc
Oh and eggs and milk, would eat a dozen eggs in 7 days and about 7 litres of milk...prob why I've got a guts huh

Will troll the net and gather some exercising stuffs and get on to that
On a brighter note I think the minister of finance said I can order my power cage package deal this week or next....I've just gotta make sure I heard properly lol

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back