Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone on both sides changed their minds regarding vegan diets due to this 2-week back and forth?

Let's move on shall we :)

Well I think we've as a group moved on from the idea that a vegan diet is inherently unhealthy.

I've also learnt some stuff about some of the science behind forks over knives and the china study which is far shakier than I'd like.

Wouldn't say it's all been futile.

Seems to be at this point in time we're at at a point of agreement that over some large studies vegans tend to be healthier, but this could be due to lifestyle factors. There are some studies showing that vegans also have significantly lower rates of most of our common diseases but these may be cherry picking. I will agree that the average schmuck is pretty unhealthy so it isn't hard to get better results with any diet that takes some care.

Then there's the LCHF group which I haven't totally got my head around. Seems like Atkins MKII, but I haven't done much research to be fair.

Last edited:

The truth about meat was an interesting watch last night on SBS I recommend watching it on iview if you have the access. Will definitely be buying organic or free range chicken only from now on. Even the "RSPCA" approved practices are quite terrible and no surprises they couldn't get footage of a real factory farm (Red Rooster, KFC, standard Steggles etc). I enjoyed what I saw from the Lilydale farm, the chickens looked fairly happy. Next week is on pork then finally beef in a couple of weeks.

The truth about meat was an interesting watch last night on SBS I recommend watching it on iview if you have the access. Will definitely be buying organic or free range chicken only from now on. Even the "RSPCA" approved practices are quite terrible and no surprises they couldn't get footage of a real factory farm (Red Rooster, KFC, standard Steggles etc). I enjoyed what I saw from the Lilydale farm, the chickens looked fairly happy. Next week is on pork then finally beef in a couple of weeks.
http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/780689475958

I just watched this. Good awareness for the average person. Like a lot of the people said, they have absolutely no idea of where meat comes from, and the process it takes to get it to the shops. Unfortunately most people have complete disconnect from animals, and nature in general...

It's very old news to me, tho. I started watching this kind of thing (animal farming and cruelty stuff) in 2012 or earlier.

The episode on pork next week will be worth the watch.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I have a goal weight of 70kgs (I originally weighed 95kgs) and currently I'm at 79kgs. When I was at the 82kg mark I just stopped losing weight for about a month. I increased exercise (and tried high intensity workouts) and my body just would not react so I decided to reduce my food intake to see if I started losing weight again. It took me a while but eventually my body reacted and my weight started going down again but the issue I have now is that I'm not eating much. I'm probably only on 1,200 calories per day, which I'm guessing isn't healthy for a 183cm male.

I might add that I do not feel as though I am starving myself. I feel satisfied throughout the day and will snack in between meals to satisfy my hunger. However, my concern is whenever I go back to eating what I was eating in between losing 95kg and 82kg (roughly 1,600 calories) I notice that I put on weight quite easily. I wouldn't mind adding a bit more food to my diet when I hit 70kg but I am worried that I will just put it all back on when I do. Have I gone about this the wrong way by decreasing my food intake so much?

Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

I have a goal weight of 70kgs (I originally weighed 95kgs) and currently I'm at 79kgs. When I was at the 82kg mark I just stopped losing weight for about a month. I increased exercise (and tried high intensity workouts) and my body just would not react so I decided to reduce my food intake to see if I started losing weight again. It took me a while but eventually my body reacted and my weight started going down again but the issue I have now is that I'm not eating much. I'm probably only on 1,200 calories per day, which I'm guessing isn't healthy for a 183cm male.

I might add that I do not feel as though I am starving myself. I feel satisfied throughout the day and will snack in between meals to satisfy my hunger. However, my concern is whenever I go back to eating what I was eating in between losing 95kg and 82kg (roughly 1,600 calories) I notice that I put on weight quite easily. I wouldn't mind adding a bit more food to my diet when I hit 70kg but I am worried that I will just put it all back on when I do. Have I gone about this the wrong way by decreasing my food intake so much?

Thanks in advance.
That's some crazy low carbs for your size, I think the best thing for you to do would be to increase your calories (to at least 1800 per day) for a couple of weeks.

This would still be a calorie deficit and you shouldn't notice any weight gain, the reason for your weight loss plateau is most likely metabolic adaption of your extended calorie restriction and increasing calories for a couple of weeks before lowering them again should restart the weight loss process for you.

Also make sure you're not overdoing the training, caffeine and getting plenty of sleep. You will struggle to lose weight if you don't have these 3 other factors in order.

That's some crazy low carbs for your size, I think the best thing for you to do would be to increase your calories (to at least 1800 per day) for a couple of weeks.

This would still be a calorie deficit and you shouldn't notice any weight gain, the reason for your weight loss plateau is most likely metabolic adaption of your extended calorie restriction and increasing calories for a couple of weeks before lowering them again should restart the weight loss process for you.

Also make sure you're not overdoing the training, caffeine and getting plenty of sleep. You will struggle to lose weight if you don't have these 3 other factors in order.
Cheers mate

Hey all,

Thanks in advance.

Why 70kgs if i may ask? 70kg is very light for someone at 6ft.

You probably weren't eating enough food when you started dieting and now when you've hit a plateau you don't have enough calories to reduce. As showdown said bump up your calories for a couple of weeks and slowly reduce them.

How much weight do you put back? Do you eat the same foods?

Make sure you are tracking properly too

14600850_1148974508484131_2147306447185680672_n.jpg

Why 70kgs if i may ask? 70kg is very light for someone at 6ft.

You probably weren't eating enough food when you started dieting and now when you've hit a plateau you don't have enough calories to reduce. As showdown said bump up your calories for a couple of weeks and slowly reduce them.

How much weight do you put back? Do you eat the same foods?
My weight gets put on real quickly. If I eat 1600 calories for four - five days I'll probably put on 1kg.

70kg is a rough guess of what I want to weigh. I have lost 15kg and I still feel as though I could lose another 10kg or so.

I also thought that 15kg on paper is a lot but I can barely tell that I've lost it apart from on the scales.

Make sure you are tracking properly too

14600850_1148974508484131_2147306447185680672_n.jpg
I had a friend do this religiously for a couple weeks and he was so surprised at how little he ate.... He kept saying "but I eat chocolate and I can't put weight" on or "I eat maccas all the time"...

after a little bit of tracking he could see he ate very little calories..(eg. one or two chocolate bars which total around 400 cals) and one meal from maccas which is around 1000cals especially considering he worked and active job..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My weight gets put on real quickly. If I eat 1600 calories for four - five days I'll probably put on 1kg.

70kg is a rough guess of what I want to weigh. I have lost 15kg and I still feel as though I could lose another 10kg or so.

I also thought that 15kg on paper is a lot but I can barely tell that I've lost it apart from on the scales.

One kg is nothing, don't stress if you eat more food your stomach will hold more food and in particular water. My body weight can fluctuate 1kg in a day.

70kg just seems so light for 6ft. Don't get to caught up in numbers, how you look is a lot better guide. But by the sounds of you you've lost fat in the easy parts, arms, chest etc but not lower stomach and back. So at a guess look a bit out of proportion.

What type of training are you doing? Running and weights or running only? Building lean muscle is a great weigh to get a bit of proportioned shape to your body.

One kg is nothing, don't stress if you eat more food your stomach will hold more food and in particular water. My body weight can fluctuate 1kg in a day.

70kg just seems so light for 6ft. Don't get to caught up in numbers, how you look is a lot better guide. But by the sounds of you you've lost fat in the easy parts, arms, chest etc but not lower stomach and back. So at a guess look a bit out of proportion.

What type of training are you doing? Running and weights or running only? Building lean muscle is a great weigh to get a bit of proportioned shape to your body.
I was just under the impression that if I kept eating at that rate then I would put in like 10kgs in a month lol. So you're saying this isn't true and my body just holds more food, as opposed to me actually putting the weight on?

And that second paragraph couldn't be more accurate. My chest/ribs is real skinny but then my lower stomach, hips and thighs look shithouse. This is why I feel as though I need to hit 70kg because I have a long way to go in these areas and they've barely gone down. Will this eventually work itself out or do I have to do exercises that work these specific areas?

I have just been running (about 8km on the same track daily) but today I did some weights with dumbbells. Also have been doing pushups (25 twice a day).

I was just under the impression that if I kept eating at that rate then I would put in like 10kgs in a month lol. So you're saying this isn't true and my body just holds more food, as opposed to me actually putting the weight on?

And that second paragraph couldn't be more accurate. My chest/ribs is real skinny but then my lower stomach, hips and thighs look shithouse. This is why I feel as though I need to hit 70kg because I have a long way to go in these areas and they've barely gone down. Will this eventually work itself out or do I have to do exercises that work these specific areas?

I have just been running (about 8km on the same track daily) but today I did some weights with dumbbells. Also have been doing pushups (25 twice a day).

Unfortunately the body is far more complex than eating x amount calories - x amount of calories burned = linear weight loss. Our bodies have evolved to fight off starvation, let's not kid ourselves when dieting you are slowly but in a controlled manner starving yourself.

Way back when we ran around trying to club a mammoth for dinner, we didn't know where our next meal was coming from and quite often the bodies where fighting off starvation. If you starved to easily you died, it's why the body is bloody amazing at keeping us alive but in this day and age where food is readily available this measure of fighting of starvation isn't all the helpful. Even more so when we do force ourselves to diet the body can be very good storing calories when they come in.

It's important to know because when dieting you want to eat as much food as possible whilst still losing weight. Because if you start to low, you have no room to move when you hit a plateau. Kinda like sprinting the first 1km of a marathon. Another reason why keeping close your claorie expenditure your body is less likely to be as stubborn to not burn calories. It's also good to every 2-3 weeks overeat and meal higher in carbs and can help recharge your metabolism and lose weight.

In regards to your body shape and where fat lies, you can't spot reduce body fat. You body will dectitate where you lose fat from, and for guys the more stubborn areas are lower back and stomach. All you can do is taken my above advice about dieting, and be disciplined enough to stick it out for long enough.

Honestly I think you should look at doing more weights, building more lean muscle if you just stick to running you may eventually get to 70kg but personally you may still have fat around your mid section what is nicknamed "skinny fat" Building lean muscle through weights will do two up your calorie expenditure as muscle burns more calories than fat. Secondly it will help you balance out the appearance of your body, biggers arms chest shoulders etc will make your waist appear smaller.

To the others out there I know you won't all agree with my post, I'm very much from then "bro-science" side of things. It's what has worked for me and what I believe in.

Got a meal plan for footy. Reckon it's very cookie cutter
I'm 6'5, 103kgs, 20% bf approx
Meal plan:
1974 calories
122g carbs
268g protein
46g fat

Was on 3300 calories prior to that.
Resistance Train weights 6 days a week. Run 4-5 days a week (yes I train a s**t load lol)

I'd worry more about building muscle in the areas that "look shithouse" than eating less

I was the same about a year ago. Was running 10-15km a day and trying to drop kgs. I ended up with basically no muscle, and loose skin because I'd done that

Unfortunately the body is far more complex than eating x amount calories - x amount of calories burned = linear weight loss. Our bodies have evolved to fight off starvation, let's not kid ourselves when dieting you are slowly but in a controlled manner starving yourself.

Way back when we ran around trying to club a mammoth for dinner, we didn't know where our next meal was coming from and quite often the bodies where fighting off starvation. If you starved to easily you died, it's why the body is bloody amazing at keeping us alive but in this day and age where food is readily available this measure of fighting of starvation isn't all the helpful. Even more so when we do force ourselves to diet the body can be very good storing calories when they come in.

It's important to know because when dieting you want to eat as much food as possible whilst still losing weight. Because if you start to low, you have no room to move when you hit a plateau. Kinda like sprinting the first 1km of a marathon. Another reason why keeping close your claorie expenditure your body is less likely to be as stubborn to not burn calories. It's also good to every 2-3 weeks overeat and meal higher in carbs and can help recharge your metabolism and lose weight.

In regards to your body shape and where fat lies, you can't spot reduce body fat. You body will dectitate where you lose fat from, and for guys the more stubborn areas are lower back and stomach. All you can do is taken my above advice about dieting, and be disciplined enough to stick it out for long enough.

Honestly I think you should look at doing more weights, building more lean muscle if you just stick to running you may eventually get to 70kg but personally you may still have fat around your mid section what is nicknamed "skinny fat" Building lean muscle through weights will do two up your calorie expenditure as muscle burns more calories than fat. Secondly it will help you balance out the appearance of your body, biggers arms chest shoulders etc will make your waist appear smaller.

To the others out there I know you won't all agree with my post, I'm very much from then "bro-science" side of things. It's what has worked for me and what I believe in.
Appreciate this post. Thank you.

6' and 70kg?
I'm 5'10" and playing footy at 66-67kg back in the day I'd got blown over by a light zephyr lol
As stated previously the lower abs are virtually the last place guys lose fat from do some patience will be required
Also fwiw when I was heavier (and gaining weight) I could go to bed 2-3kg heavier than when I woke up (or wake up 2-3kg lighter depending on which way you look at it lol)

Jorn Trommelen on Facebook:

"A new study from our lab shows that eating large amounts of protein before sleep does not blunt muscle protein synthesis rates the next morning (either fasted MPS rates or the MPS response to protein). We speculated that there might be a negative feedback loop, where large amounts of protein might diminish the response to protein at subsequent meals. However, there was no difference between the groups.

These data suggest that every meal moment is a ''unique window of opportunity'' and that all meals work additively to optimize muscle protein synthesis rates in a day. If you miss a meal, you miss the opportunity to stimulate muscle protein synthesis. And it does not seem you can compensate that at subsequent meals. But as a protein meal can stimulate MPS for at least 5 hours, these data do not mean you should eat every 2-3 hours like it is 1990."

https://www.facebook.com/nutritiontactics/posts/1798394170375525

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/early/2016/10/25/ajpendo.00325.2016

I've gotten on the IIFYM facebook group. It's crazy the amount of people who read one line of what IIFYM is and run with a diet around that. It was never designed to be "eat as much s**t as you like, as long as it fits your daily macros, and then just don't eat for the rest of the day"

I've gotten on the IIFYM facebook group. It's crazy the amount of people who read one line of what IIFYM is and run with a diet around that. It was never designed to be "eat as much s**t as you like, as long as it fits your daily macros, and then just don't eat for the rest of the day"
I thought that's exactly what it was

ive been tinkering with my diet quite a bit over the last year to see how i felt after making changes. its come down to completely cutting out processed foods and ive been eating between 10 and 25 serves of vegetables a day, along with plenty of eggs, with no bread, pasta or rice. i still eat meat occasionally but
completely abstain from dairy. ive never felt or looked better. reckon it really comes down to the individual though.

ive been tinkering with my diet quite a bit over the last year to see how i felt after making changes. its come down to completely cutting out processed foods and ive been eating between 10 and 25 serves of vegetables a day, along with plenty of eggs, with no bread, pasta or rice. i still eat meat occasionally but
completely abstain from dairy. ive never felt or looked better. reckon it really comes down to the individual though.
i have been doing much the same thing over the last year or 2, have cut out bread, rice and pasta as well, along with cereals, soft drinks, fruit juices, lollies/chocolate except for 85% and above cocoa chocolate.

the point of the story though is that i went on a 7 day cruise last week and just gave up completely on my normal diet ie. ate and drank all the things i usually don't as well as zero exercise which i usually do a lot of (except for some glorious snorkeling), at the end of the week i felt like s**t and am now just starting to feel my normal self (got back last sunday).

typical day.
breakfast- nutri bullett, ingredients- spinach/kale, frozen berries, avocado, ginger, garlic, banana and organic filtered vinegar.
lunch- fish/chicken + green veges/salad.
dinner- pork/lamb (not a big eater of rumps/t-bone etc) veges.

snacks- nuts, milk, fruit.

treats- chocolate (85% +), yogurt (greek style) and if i am really feeling like a rebel i will have my former favorite breakfast of 6 weetbix with honey and sliced banana.

i try to avoid all processed foods, including processed meats but i do love my bacon occasionally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back