Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

While we're on the topic of sugar, I don't understand why so many dietitians / health-types go out of their way to defend sugar and justify fitting it into your average Joe's diet. Yes sugar is "ok" in small amounts. But most people can't just eat small amounts of sugar. Plus almost everyone can benefit in some way from reducing their sugar intake and replacing it with something else. Same for processed carbs to a degree.

I remember the days of "clean eating only!@!!!!@!!!" Now it feels like the diet pendulum has almost swung to the other extreme.

Being friends with a bunch of dietitians = sitting through countless conversations about grains sugar grains carbs grains sugar with the occasional "just can't lose weight" while they're barely active and eating more carbs than me. More than you need is not "moderation" people!

Sugar isn't the devil its made out to be, but you are right the people who can't "afford" to eat sugar eat to much of it. It's pretty easy to a lot of sugar but harder to eat a lot of complex carbs with fibre in it.

People who complain about not losing weight more often than not need to have a good hard look at their diet, occasionally there is underlying medial conditions that do inhibit weight loss.

Bought 4 blocks in coles last week....it was half price, think we got either 85 or 90%....either way it's bitter as *
But a square every other day gives me a fix

So I did a rough calorie count out of interest with the lamb salad and fruit ive been eating
Around 1300 to 1500 cals.
Apart from the lamb the aoli had a couple hundred cals so that's going and ill make something from scratch instead

I'm not usually a cal counter as i dont prescribe to the whole count the cal thing

No pies no chocolate milk, and I was prob drinking a litre of normal low fat milk a day....gone
So no cereal either
Just about to cook morroccan chicken for the rest of the weeks tea for work.

Funnily I'm finding myself not hungry even only after eating one salad a banana and apple.

Bought 4 blocks in coles last week....it was half price, think we got either 85 or 90%....either way it's bitter as ****

So I did a rough calorie count out of interest with the lamb salad and fruit ive been eating
Around 1300 to 1500 cals.
Apart from the lamb the aoli had a couple hundred cals so that's going and ill make something from scratch instead

I'm not usually a cal counter as i dont prescribe to the whole count the cal thing

No pies no chocolate milk, and I was prob drinking a litre of normal low fat milk a day....gone
So no cereal either
Just about to cook morroccan chicken for the rest of the weeks tea for work.

Funnily I'm finding myself not hungry even only after eating one salad a banana and apple.

You could probably eat a little more......or at least have room to eat some more foods over the weekend. I work 7am - 4pm weekdays so dieting isn't to hard being busy at work helps the time pass by, but i find weekends harder as im home with not a much to do, but generally diet harder during the week and indulge a little on weekends.

You don't need to count every single calorie you consume but its good to be mindful and have an idea what you are consuming and roughly how many calories you are having each day...... a couple years ago i was measuring everything down to the gram now i can eyeball (pretty accurately) a 200g serve of chicken, 50g of oats etc.

Bought 4 blocks in coles last week....it was half price, think we got either 85 or 90%....either way it's bitter as ****

Going by what you said it probably was the 85% as it's more bitter than the 90%

90% is processed with alkali (Dutch cocoa) and is naturally sweeter than 85% Some people don't like the 90% because apparently it reduces the flavanoid (antioxident) content of the chocolate and thereby reducing the health benefits of eating such high cocoa content chocolate, the 85% does not use cocoa processed with alkalis so it doesn't taste as smooth and creamy (for a high cocoa content)

Going by what you said it probably was the 85% as it's more bitter than the 90%

90% is processed with alkali (Dutch cocoa) and is naturally sweeter than 85% Some people don't like the 90% because apparently it reduces the flavanoid (antioxident) content of the chocolate and thereby reducing the health benefits of eating such high cocoa content chocolate, the 85% does not use cocoa processed with alkalis so it doesn't taste as smooth and creamy (for a high cocoa content)

Interesting. I've always found the 90% less enjoyable than the 85%.

Due to texture more than bitterness I think.

I've been eating a six egg omelette for breakfast and two sweet potato, spinach, roquette, cabbage, carrot, mushroom, avocado and pumpkin salads for lunch and dinner just about every day for nearly 8 months, and have never felt or looked better, started as an experiment but i stuck with it because i have so much more energy now

Think I've solved my fibre issue

Avocados (apprx) 14g of fibre per fruit is outstanding

That reminds me

Bulknutrients have just released a fibre product. I've ordered a 500g bag for $39

Approx 5.8g per serve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what we know now the only fibre you might miss out on are beta-glucans from oats & barley (the forms used in studies), other than that veggies + fruits are the way to go. Eat real foods preferably for the extra benefits that come with phytonutrients & a whole bunch of stuff we have yet to discover.

Based on what we know now the only fibre you might miss out on are beta-glucans from oats & barley (the forms used in studies), other than that veggies + fruits are the way to go. Eat real foods preferably for the extra benefits that come with phytonutrients & a whole bunch of stuff we have yet to discover.
If you don't consume oats or barley mushrooms are just as good.

Tbh I'm not eating any cereal stuff...prob should
Changed up the home made mayo this morn
Went much less djion and stuck a bit of wholegrain in with more garlic
Not as tangy now

I'm casually enjoying this salad and meat thing
Smashing fruit too
Orange and apple today with a few grapes couple of strawbs and a tiny bit of rock melon

Only thing I'm indulging in is those vegemite bagels
Man they are good,
They do them in coles but do giant resealable bags at Costco.

I've got that potato pie and chocolate milk before work craving ffs
I'm telling myself ive been good all week, haven't had one since bloody 7 days ago at least, dropped 2 kilos....all the pros for stopping on the way to work
Is that weak???
Or should I have that one treat and just do an extra set in the routine?
Look at me wanting approval so I have no excuse lol

I've got that potato pie and chocolate milk before work craving ffs
I'm telling myself ive been good all week, haven't had one since bloody 7 days ago at least, dropped 2 kilos....all the pros for stopping on the way to work
Is that weak???
Or should I have that one treat and just do an extra set in the routine?
Look at me wanting approval so I have no excuse lol
It's why i'm a fan of the saying

99% is a bitch, 100% is a breeze

100% is a breeze 99% is a bitch- Scott Miker

When you are using a system to accomplish a goal, understand that it is easier if you are 100% committed to that goal and system. Being 99% committed means that every situation will be a struggle and that you will be constantly fighting to stick to the system. Despite the fact that it seems difficult, realize that 100% is a breeze and 99% is a bitch.

If you decide to lose a few pounds and adjust your diet remember this 100% rule. If you decide to stop eating junk food, keeping it in the house in case you decide to have some will be difficult because every day you will have to fight and struggle to stick to the plan. Instead of fighting every day to avoid eating certain items, make sure you don’t buy the items at the grocery store. This seems simple but too often I realized that I was committed 99% by keeping it in the house and having “cheat” days. Even though this sounds like a great reward for working hard, it really meant that I was not 100% committed. I decided to get rid of the cheat days, and suddenly it was easy to continue healthy eating habits.

I had the same realization when I started exercising in the morning. If I let myself decide in the morning whether I would sleep in or work out, I would choose to sleep in every time. But, by being committed 100 percent, I didn’t have the option in the morning and it was easy once I stuck to the plan. There are other strategies to make it easier to stick to a morning exercise routine that I discuss in my books, but a key principle is to follow this 100% rule. This goes beyond discipline and it is amazing how much easier 100% commitment is than 99% commitment.

Another way to look at this 100% rule is to look at a committed relationship. If someone is 100% committed to someone, they will not even put themselves in a situation where something bad could occur. If they are 99% sure they will not commit adultery, they will put themselves in bad situations and constantly have to struggle to make sure nothing happens. It is much easier to be 100% committed to someone than it is to be 99% committed to that person.

Regardless of what system you are creating or modifying, follow this principle to make it easier on yourself. There will be enough obstacles to overcome, going 99% towards a goal is setting yourself up for failure and making it significantly more difficult to achieve the outcome you desire. Remember that 100% is a breeze and that 99% is a bitch.

Tip

Leniency can be a great way to stick to a plan but I discuss leniency in another article and how leniency is good after a mistake, not in your commitment level. You should be 100% in your commitment level and lenient after you make a mistake.

Do not even slightly agree with any of that

i do not follow this 100% rule as i am no longer that fanatical with my diet, i just try to eat very little s**t although it makes sense to me if you are attempting to overcome an obesity problem or are an elite athlete especially the bit about not keeping treat/junk type foods in your home, if they are not there you can't eat them.

i would describe my eating habits on the whole as 97-99% healthy and 1-3% treats eg. ice cream, chocolate, restaurant visits.

i do not follow this 100% rule as i am no longer that fanatical with my diet, i just try to eat very little s**t although it makes sense to me if you are attempting to overcome an obesity problem or are an elite athlete especially the bit about not keeping treat/junk type foods in your home, if they are not there you can't eat them.

i would describe my eating habits on the whole as 97-99% healthy and 1-3% treats eg. ice cream, chocolate, restaurant visits.
I don't see it as being fanatical as the majority of people predisposed to weight problems have an issue with moderation and ultimately fail when adopting a cheat meal or small percentage of leniency, I do, thats why for me taking a 100% attitude, even though sometimes that's broken is my best option.

I don't see it as being fanatical as the majority of people predisposed to weight problems have an issue with moderation and ultimately fail when adopting a cheat meal or small percentage of leniency, I do, thats why for me taking a 100% attitude, even though sometimes that's broken is my best option.

i find it hard sometimes to have empathy for overweight people. in my 57 years i have never had even the slightest issue with my weight in fact a lot of people over the years have and continue to say i am underweight, just lucky i guess, went through a fairly long period between the ages of around 17 to mid late 20s drinking copious amounts of alcohol and eating s**t food but never put on weight although i did continue to exercise and play sport.

interested in the predisposition to weight problems, serious question- is that scientifically proven or is it just anecdotal? i have known a lot of people who find it very hard to lose weight (or so they say), i usually tell them it has all got to do with what goes in your mouth and how much energy you use moving around. is there a fix for this or has it all got to do with the type of foods they are eating and not necessarily the calories?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back