Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

i do not follow this 100% rule as i am no longer that fanatical with my diet, i just try to eat very little s**t although it makes sense to me if you are attempting to overcome an obesity problem or are an elite athlete especially the bit about not keeping treat/junk type foods in your home, if they are not there you can't eat them.

i would describe my eating habits on the whole as 97-99% healthy and 1-3% treats eg. ice cream, chocolate, restaurant visits.
I'm trying to get back on the wagon now after an indifferent 12 months and a lot of big changes and movement in home/family life. The bolded part is now an issue in my life - currently living with a type 1 diabetic that has lollies always laying around the house. I'm not a lolly fan 99% of the time, but it only takes 1 to then want more.

Signed up for PT 2 weeks ago and being advised to go with some slow carb methods, no fruit etc. Although that's also not happening ever since I bought a dehydrator and have been making dried apples (when not making jerky).

I'm trying to get back on the wagon now after an indifferent 12 months and a lot of big changes and movement in home/family life. The bolded part is now an issue in my life - currently living with a type 1 diabetic that has lollies always laying around the house. I'm not a lolly fan 99% of the time, but it only takes 1 to then want more.

Signed up for PT 2 weeks ago and being advised to go with some slow carb methods, no fruit etc. Although that's also not happening ever since I bought a dehydrator and have been making dried apples (when not making jerky).
yep, makes it hard when other people in the house are not following the same eating lifestyle, i am the same, if i have 1 lolly i want more or i'll have a huge bowl of ice cream or a block of chocolate.

just on the type 1 diabetes, my 55 year old brother is a type 1 diabetic since his teenage years and he has always struggled with his weight, he recently went on a strict LCHF diet (doctor supervised) and has lost weight he has never been able to lose and says he has never felt better, he has also cut his injection requirements by 75%.

interested in the predisposition to weight problems, serious question- is that scientifically proven or is it just anecdotal? i have known a lot of people who find it very hard to lose weight (or so they say), i usually tell them it has all got to do with what goes in your mouth and how much energy you use moving around. is there a fix for this or has it all got to do with the type of foods they are eating and not necessarily the calories?

There's some genetic differences to what drives people to eat and how they respond when they eat too much. In other words, some people are more likely to engage in behaviours that promote obesity (overeating and not moving around much). I'm sure you've seen people who fidget non-stop after eating a big meal vs. people who want to sleep when they touch food (like me). Some people also use nutrients better as in greater tendency to gain more lean mass than fat during overfeeding.

But end of the day, regardless of how predisposed anyone is to obesity, it's not going to ******* change. People can either sit and cry about their bad luck or they can do something about it. Just got to be smarter with what they're eating, how they're eating, and find some form of physical activity they enjoy and will keep doing.

Also for people that argue it's not calories but certain foods that make you fat, it always goes something like...

"Weight loss is not about calories, because I was couldn't lose weight until I stopped eating [insert food/food group that contains calories]"
OR
"I stopped eating [insert food/food group that contains calories and is easy to overeat] and replaced it with [insert some food/food group with less calories and is harder to overeat]."

If you hop into a car, step on the gas, and drive straight into a wall. Is it the wall's fault? Is it the car's fault? Or is it your fault? Most of the myths around nutrition are created by people who refuse to take responsibility.

I have sympathy for overweight and obese to a point, since I've been through it. My weight issues were heavily linked to my mental health issues when I was younger. So I don't presume that anyone overweight just chooses to do so or is lazy

90% of clients and friends I've worked with struggle more being 100% adherent. Giving them a once of meal a week is something to work towards and look forward to. 100% adherence is a lot more work mentally, and it tends to put so much pressure on every * up they make, which leads to backslides

Obviously everyone is different, but I wouldn't go saying 100% is easier as a blanket statement.

I've got that potato pie and chocolate milk before work craving ffs
I'm telling myself ive been good all week, haven't had one since bloody 7 days ago at least, dropped 2 kilos....all the pros for stopping on the way to work
Is that weak???
Or should I have that one treat and just do an extra set in the routine?
Look at me wanting approval so I have no excuse lol

Eat the pie and chocolate milk and enjoy it. Just don't do it every day, once a week won't hurt (to much) honestly unless you are trying for a body building comp or trying to make weight for a fight you can have indulgence. Also do an extra set if it makes you feel better but don't go crazy and try to out exercise the extra calories.

From past experiences it's good to have indulgence once in a while as opposed to completely abstaining from a certain food and then binging. Trouble is everyone is different, some can eat chicken and broccoli day in day out with out blinking. Others give up donuts for one day and start dreaming about them at night.

I will say, only when you are looking to get rid of the the last couple of kgs do you really need to be super strict with your diet. That's when the real fun starts.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-10/chocolate-slice-shaming-kids-wrong-food-messages/8258086

I've been told of cases of children whose food was sent home uneaten — because it was not "approved" — and the child has had nothing to eat all day.

Organic, sugarless zucchini muffins; banana, almond meal and chia muffins; and homemade (nut-free) bliss balls have all been sent home.

Children have been told they were meant to have sandwiches, not muffins — even when their muffin could not have been healthier.

Cupcakes — which had less sugar and calories than green-lit muesli bars — have also been sent home uneaten, according to one mum who did the calculations.

Another mother told me of a time when she'd sent her kid to school with a lunch box filled with apples, carrots, raisins and chicken … and a single, tiny chocolate egg, which the teacher promptly confiscated.

"My son was devo," she said. "Then after school [the teacher] lectured me about healthy lunches. I blew my head off!"

Some parents told of children hiding in the schoolyard to eat homemade cookies, afraid of being discovered. Others said their children were ashamed to eat treats even at home — hiding food and eating it privately away from the family.

I'm all for kids being healthy but this seems like an insane case of schools overstepping their boundaries... and knowledge base

Bit of random musing - this study "Pre- versus post-exercise protein intake has similar effects on muscular adaptations" (https://peerj.com/articles/2825/) found no significant difference between pre vs. post protein (25g) in young resistance-trained men. But if you read the full study there's a few interesting points:

1) subjects were given a 500kcal surplus diet for the study BUT both the control/experiment groups ended up reducing their calorie intake from baseline and were in a deficit. Because people suck and always will suck, and the biggest limitation for science is that people suck, and this won't change (read the section about dropouts for lols).

2) despite being in a caloric deficit and losing fat, both groups increased strength and at least maintained muscle mass training 3x/week. If you look at individual results a lot of participants actually gained muscle mass while losing fat. This is interesting because:

- it's not the first study to show people can gain muscle in a deficit (studies showing this have been done in elite athletes + noobies)

- it reinforces that people respond differently to protocols. When you see a trial say "X increases Y in participants", it doesn't mean everyone experienced the same effect to the same degree on an individual level. While we can say if you did X you will most likely get Y, you won't know until you try it.

- Statistical significance is not the same as real life significance. No "statistical significant" difference in strength was reported between groups but the actual strength increases were 3.7% in pre- and 4.9% in post-exercise. Does this matter for average Joes? Probably not. But it could make a difference at elite levels.

And of course like all studies it has heaps of limitations and generates millions of extra questions like:
- what if participants actually stuck to a calorie surplus? Would muscle gains be greater? Would their fat mass decrease despite being in a surplus?
- what if participants ate more protein overall? what if participants had both a pre- and a post-workout?
- what if participants trained with greater frequency?
- how da damn did one guy lose 3cm from his quads?

so on and on ....

Point is - people in fitness seem to be moving toward an overly simplistic approach where "nothing matters" eg. meal timing, nutrient timing, food composition, carb vs. fat, protein amounts per meal, protein source ..... Which I agree is fine for maybe > 95% people because all they need is simple. But if you want the best results possible these small things matter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry, but the thought of it is enough to make me puke.
(don't knock it until you've tried it)

on-well-okay-2805130.png

About 5 weeks into a LCHF diet and I am absolutely loving it. Gone from 93 to 85 kg and don't actually feel like I am missing out on anything. I am sleeping better, have more energy and my psoriasis has completely cleared up. I don't think that this will be a diet as such but I will pretty much eat this way for the rest of my life with the odd indulgence on special occasions.

I also gave booze the boot but this is something that I won't do forever however I will be drinking in moderation.

Ideas for food/meals I can take on my ~75 minute each way trips to uni?

I commute for roughly the same amount of time and just put my food in my backpack, a tick over an hour unrefrigerated is extremely unlikely to make you sick.

Sorry, I meant to actually eat on the journey(s) lol.
I was thinking containers of cold cut meats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back