Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

What about cooking it makes it better for u?
Interesting answer here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-more-nutritious-raw-or-cooked/article565617/

Cooking your vegetables can actually boost their antioxidant content. Heating vegetables releases antioxidants by breaking down cell walls. Studies have found that eating cooked spinach and carrots - versus raw - results in much higher blood levels of beta-carotene, an antioxidant thought to guard against heart disease and lung cancer.

You'll also get more lutein, a phytochemical that helps prevent cataract and macular degeneration, if you eat your spinach cooked instead of raw.
And when it comes to certain minerals, you're better off eating your spinach cooked. Green vegetables such as spinach, beet greens and Swiss chard are high in calcium, but their high levels of a compound called oxalic acid binds calcium and reduce its absorption. Cooking releases some of the calcium that's bound to oxalic acid. Three cups of raw spinach, for example, have 90 milligrams of calcium, whereas one cup of cooked has nearly triple the amount (259 milligrams). Cooking vegetables also increases the amount of magnesium and iron that's available to the body.

But water is your enemy when it comes to cooking veggies. Boiling vegetables causes a significant amount of nutrients that dissolve in water - vitamin C, folate and thiamin (vitamin B1) - to be leached away. Steaming is much gentler on nutrients because vegetables don't come in contact with cooking water. Dry cooking methods like grilling, roasting, stir-frying and microwave cooking without water also preserve a greater amount of nutrients than boiling or pressure cooking.

That said, some vegetables are healthier when eaten raw. Cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy and kale contain glucosinolates that are converted to anti-cancer compounds called isothiocyanates.

An enzyme in cruciferous vegetables converts glucosinolates to isothiocyanates when they're chopped or chewed. But this enzyme is easily destroyed by heat. That means that heating cruciferous vegetables reduces the conversion of glucosinolates to their active isothiocyanates, which may reduce their cancer-fighting potential. You will preserve more phytochemicals in these vegetables if you steam them rather than boil or microwave.

Do the Power need to have a look at diet?

I'm sure they do most things right, and I'm no expert, but I've heard about how we tend to hit the pasta hard the night before game-day. I also heard that Chad Wingard eats a huge bowl of nutri-grain for breakfast on game-day.

Sure Wingard is a gun, and all AFL footballers are beasts, but I'm sure something could perhaps be done to get a more efficient energy output.

Last edited:
I heard that Wingard murders 18 animals pre game

If anything Wingard needs to eat 2 bowls of Nutri-grain ...

Edit. You extract more energy per unit time with carbs than fats (if anyone cares)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are a troll at times.. And what's this about a "tantrum"?

You like making up bs to try and make folks look bad.
The other thread? Where you've been throwing a tantrum for a day...

As I said, you got a ban for one of your Saturday night tantrums not that long ago.

Didn't u have a "day off" only week or two ago?
Yeah. Because I told a pies fan to stop blaming the umpires for everything on the main board

"What did you do Saturday night?"
"Oh I just threw a tantrum on an online forum because people wouldn't trust my non legitimate sources"

Maybe we could go back to your discussion about how natural = good for you. That worked out well

Yeah. Because I told a pies fan to stop blaming the umpires for everything on the main board

"What did you do Saturday night?"
"Oh I just threw a tantrum on an online forum because people wouldn't trust my non legitimate sources"

Maybe we could go back to your discussion about how natural = good for you. That worked out well
Righto, "tantrum" timmy...

Righto, "tantrum" timmy...
We get it mate, you can't google a natural news source for a rebuttal so you can only come up with putting tantrum in quotes...which literally means nothing in response

You're now throwing a tantrum over two different threads because your garbage source got questioned. You're like a cultist

We get it mate, you can't google a natural news source for a rebuttal so you can only come up with putting tantrum in quotes...which literally means nothing in response

You're now throwing a tantrum over two different threads because your garbage source got questioned. You're like a cultist
Your poor girlfriend... I feel sorry for her.

Your poor girlfriend... I feel sorry for her.
She's right next to me. I showed her the thread and she laugh and said "is he serious? What a knob".

She's my fiancé though kiddo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back