Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

Any argument from someone claiming to have evidence yet never providing it (*cough*Nauhdi*cough*functionalpatterns*) is easily dismissible.

N=1 studies are fine provided people don’t try and apply the results to N>1. I spoke to someone a while ago who suggested that anecdotes should only provide basis for areas of future research (including RCTs) which I tend to agree with.

Did anyone read/see that recent study that shows ketogenic diet reduces brain inflammation? Interesting.

Iirc it was shown in rat models and was artificially induced ketosis.

It does raise the question of whether reduced inflammation is a good or bad thing. Both across the broad and also in specific instances/situations.

Interesting.

Warrants further investigation.

It had something to do with protein blocking or something.
The lead researcher seemed pretty confident they could isolate and recreate it as a drug, effectively giving people the main benefits of a keto diet without actually following a keto diet.

January is World carnivore month, if your looking outside the normal, meat water and salt, no calorie counting no time periods for eating, when hungry eat meat when thirsty drink water and then train hard.

I’ve been listening to some of joe Rogans podcasts lately and saw this one (I have listened yet) thought it might be of or interest to you

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272?mt=2&i=1000396737762

Episode number 1050 with dr.shawn baker if the link doesn’t work

Thanks, I’ve already listen to it, was a great podcast, did you listen too it?

It’s next on the playlist, I’m halfway through one with Courtney daulwalter who is a ultra-distance runner

There is also a good one with Dorian Yates but it goes for 3 hours

I agreed to do a three day juice cleanse after a particularly over indulgent x-mas and new year period.

Its day 1 and its not going to badly except that my 2.30 juice tastes horrible.
Can I ask why?
In my opinion (and dietitians share the same view) juice fasts are pointless and a crock of ....
You'd be better off with a three day water/black coffee/ green tea fast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overindulged badly over the break and this was an easy option. I’m aware it’s faddish
I understand your personal reasoning, it's just there's zero science to back up any benefits of a juice fast, it's only calorie restriction and mentally tough for no real beneft . If you want to punish yourself just have a couple of small plates of steamed veg, more nutritious, tasty and will fill you up, but if you want to be serious and have a clean up, 3 day water fast is the go, and science backs it up.

Overindulged badly over the break and this was an easy option. I’m aware it’s faddish
There was a good doco on SBS last night called 'The Truth about your Health' (should be on 'SBS on Demand') that breaks down a lot of stuff that's been thrust into the mainstream of western culture with no scientific evidence to back it.

Well worth a watch if you have the time: https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1125420099951/the-truth-about-your-health-detox-debunked

From memory the episode last night covered topics like Juice detox's and cold pressed juicing, Gwenyth Paltrow's vag steaming bullcrap product, UV saunas, colonic irrigations and a few other fads I forget right now..

Last edited:
There’s a very grounded rationalism that dietitians and nutrition experts seem to ignore.

Doing things that ‘feel’ healthy but aren’t still has value. Being healthy is about making choices and building on willpower. A juice detox can be total bullshit from a health point of view, but if it gives someone the momentum to eat (objectively) healthier for the six months following the detox then I’m all for it.

We aren’t naturally rational, so if we can work with our own irrationality for positive benefit then I think it’s a good thing.

Agree if it’s an easy way for you to really restrict your calories for 3 days, the calorie restriction will drive the biggest health benefits.

On the topic of post holidays;

I’ve been back home since Sunday and basically Monday I started back on my usual diet and slightly less calories than pre Xmas. I’ve felt stronger in the last couple of days as opposed to the last two weeks during holidays when my calorie intake would of been double what it is now (but coming from mostly rubbish).

It’s like switching from E10 petrol to premium. My weight is down 1.5kg so I’m currently 2kgs (86kg) over my pre Xmas weight (84kg)

If you want to punish yourself just have a couple of small plates of steamed veg, more nutritious, tasty and will fill you up, but if you want to be serious and have a clean up, 3 day water fast is the go, and science backs it up.

I did a 3 day water fast to start the new year this year. Was pretty tough at first going from the excesses of Christmas to nothing for 3 days, but it put me in a pretty positive mental state to attack 2018, like Leather Poisoning alluded to.

I did a 3 day water fast to start the new year this year. Was pretty tough at first going from the excesses of Christmas to nothing for 3 days, but it put me in a pretty positive mental state to attack 2018, like Leather Poisoning alluded to.
Did you find it easier as each day passes? For me day 1 is the hardest, I think its a mental issue and not your body craving some food, and by day 3 or 4 its easy and I don't even feel hungry.

Did you find it easier as each day passes? For me day 1 is the hardest, I think its a mental issue and not your body craving some food, and by day 3 or 4 its easy and I don't even feel hungry.

Yeah I generally find it hardest around the 24hr mark - around dinner time on day 1. If I get through that it gets easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back