Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

Dad came over the other day to paint one of my doors. He was a house painter back in the olden days.

He said he was having trouble getting into gear that morning, so I gave him some pre-workout to get the old ticker going. When it kicked in, he reckoned he's never painted faster.

Soon after he left I got a phone call from mum, who knows I've been working out.

Her exact words "We didn't tell you because your father likes to keep shtum on such things and doesn't want to worry you kids, but he had a very minor stroke last month. In future, please don't give him any of your gym steroids."

Took me 10 minutes to get up off the floor from crippling laughter.

Gym steroids... :D

Depending on the ingredients, she could be right that it wouldn't be advisable for him to take pre-workout though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28885973

Additionally, several of the active ingredients in this supplement have been shown to cause hypertension, tachycardia, and vasospasm. All of these effects could increase the likelihood and severity of a hemorrhagic stroke.

You disgust me.

As someone who's both lazy and a povo uni student, I recently took the brave step of buying a big tin of Black & Gold coffee.

Surprisingly I think it's actually an improvement on my old povo International Roast.

As someone who's both lazy and a povo uni student, I recently took the brave step of buying a big tin of Black & Gold coffee.

Surprisingly I think it's actually an improvement on my old povo International Roast.

I actually wish I liked instant coffee. It would save me a lot of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say - I am STRUGGLING to hit the calories. Trying to eat fairly clean (no processed sugars, avoiding deep fried type foods). Eating plenty of dairy, lots of meat - and even reintroduced bread and rice into the mix. Still falling short by 500-700 calories a day according to whatever calorie tracker fitbit uses.

Eating a mountain of veggies and meat each day - I'm feeling bloody amazing but wondering if I should either dial back the activity or find a 'dirtier' way to ramp up the calories.

Gotta say - I am STRUGGLING to hit the calories. Trying to eat fairly clean (no processed sugars, avoiding deep fried type foods). Eating plenty of dairy, lots of meat - and even reintroduced bread and rice into the mix. Still falling short by 500-700 calories a day according to whatever calorie tracker fitbit uses.

Eating a mountain of veggies and meat each day - I'm feeling bloody amazing but wondering if I should either dial back the activity or find a 'dirtier' way to ramp up the calories.
How many calories are you supposed to hit?

Also on the ice creams hit up the skinny cow ones, anywhere from 120-160 calories depending on which ice cream bar you get but ******* delicious. Had one of the mint ones today that’s a whole 124 calories and cost me $3.50 for a 4 pack from Woolies.

How many calories are you supposed to hit?

Also on the ice creams hit up the skinny cow ones, anywhere from 120-160 calories depending on which ice cream bar you get but ******* delicious. Had one of the mint ones today that’s a whole 124 calories and cost me $3.50 for a 4 pack from Woolies.
On days I exercise (5 a week) I will burn 3500-4000.
On rest days, depending on walking its anywhere between 2300 and 3000.

Oh so you’re just trying to maintain weight and hit around what you’re burning?

Don’t even look at the logo :p.

Heaps of butter/olive oil on your veggies/salad helps.

put cream into your coffee or just drink it. So delicious.

That’s a big gap between your lowest maintenance and highest maintenance on a particular day.

So i've decided that I need to get my bodyweight down before I take the gym too serious.

I have 35-40kg to lose before I am in a lean territory ready to properly gym.

What sort of diet/training structure should I be looking at to get down there?

I've set MFP to 2038 Calories per day, but am aiming to eat around 1800-1900 (150g carbs, 79g fat, 178g protein). I want to continue doing my 5-2 split of weight training each week, but with more cardio added in.

Just wondering if the weight training is wasted (or a waste of time) if I am only eating 1800-1900 cals a day and doing increased cardio workouts?

So i've decided that I need to get my bodyweight down before I take the gym too serious.

I've set MFP to 2038 Calories per day, but am aiming to eat around 1800-1900 (150g carbs, 79g fat, 178g protein). I want to continue doing my 5-2 split of weight training each week, but with more cardio added in.

Just wondering if the weight training is wasted (or a waste of time) if I am only eating 1800-1900 cals a day and doing increased cardio workouts?
No reason you can’t build muscle on a calorie deficit, it will be slower as it’ll be your fat stores being used for energy rather than food intake I believe. Aeglos will know more here I’m guessing.

Woah nelly!

Wait, you're fixin to lose 35-40 kg first and THEN gym properly?

Is this a doctors advice? If not, then you're going about it arse backwards.

Take advantage of them 6 -12 month noob gains, because they will never be that good again I can promise you.

Learn to lift with very good form, and use your current weight to your muscle and strength building advantage. Fat loss is where it's at.

I've been at it for 10 months after a 6 year lay off. I walked into the gym at 132 kgs and am now a svelte 120 kg. The other day I went for an xray on my shoulder, and the lovely radiologist said "Your shoulder is very muscly and it was hard to get a good shot."

2big2xray :cool:

The only time I've done any cardio or running is when I was too sore to lift, and another time when it was a hot day and a gelati van drove past my house.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back