Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you're watching weight, you'd need an extra 4 hours not just the 1 hour. That wouldn't touch the kebabs sides.

I was at 900 calorie intake for the day at 9pm (dinner time)

I am happy with the work I put in the past 3 weeks and that was a good cheat meal. Sadly the day after was the same, but did the same workout and was on my feet alot more so im not concerned about it.

Keep the losses coming and muscle increasing!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If you're watching weight, you'd need an extra 4 hours not just the 1 hour. That wouldn't touch the kebabs sides.
I'm always astounded at how much exercise it takes to burn off calories, hence why losing weight is largely down to how much you put in your mouth.

I suppose it had an evolutionary purpose back when food was scarce and infrequent, in our day of plentiful food supply and with a lot of it bad not so much.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

I'm always astounded at how much exercise it takes to burn off calories, hence why losing weight is largely down to how much you put in your mouth.

I suppose it had an evolutionary purpose back when food was scarce and infrequent, in our day of plentiful food supply and with a lot of it bad not so much.

The easiest calories you burn are the ones you don't eat.

I love making home made burritos, lean mince (add in beans and diced tomato to make chili con carne) , brown rice, wraps, cheese. Nothing inherently bad for you but eating 4-5 of those is 800-1000 calories total.....That is a minimum 8km run for me just to equal out the calories.

Imagine what it would take when you eat take away food, KFC, maccas etc

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Too many reply on crappy marketing hype around "calories burned" on fitness watches. That's half the problem nowdays.

I also think people don't really understand calories. Studies have shown people can under estimate calorie intake by 30-50% and can over estimate calories burnt by the same amount.

Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
People just convince themselves that they have "Earned" a blowout, or a cheat meal, which leads to cheat meals, then wonder why they stagnate, when in actuality they have just undone a whole weeks worth of deficits, and put themselves behind the 8 ball for the following week.
The easiest calories you burn are the ones you don't eat.

I love making home made burritos, lean mince (add in beans and diced tomato to make chili con carne) , brown rice, wraps, cheese. Nothing inherently bad for you but eating 4-5 of those is 800-1000 calories total.....That is a minimum 8km run for me just to equal out the calories.

Imagine what it would take when you eat take away food, KFC, maccas etc
Yeah i love home made burritos too, Turkey mince, mushrooms, Red kidney beans, quinoa.
Home made pizza as well FTW

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
People just convince themselves that they have "Earned" a blowout, or a cheat meal, which leads to cheat meals, then wonder why they stagnate, when in actuality they have just undone a whole weeks worth of deficits, and put themselves behind the 8 ball for the following week.
And then spend the following week hanging out for the next cheat day.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've been making burrito bowls for work lunches the last couple of weeks. I use turkey mince, black beans, brown rice in mexican sauce with some spices for the base, then have tomato, cucumber, capsicum and red onion, jalapenos, then half an avocado on top. I was using a bit of sour cream, I loooove sour cream, but have since changed that for cottage cheese to try keep it healthier. I've always said I could eat Mexican every day and I pretty well have since November.

I need to either learn to ditch the after lunch snack or get a better one. It's usually three rice cakes with a bit of natural peanut butter and a banana but I think while I'm trying to lose weight I shouldnt be having much peanut butter. I changed to Vegemite this week but I think I should be swapping to something with a bit more nutritional value. Especially when I sometimes have another three rice cakes when I get home.

I've been a lot more vigilant on my weekend unhealthy habits but it still seems like every meal ends up with bread, bread rolls or wraps just for the ease of making food for the missus and two year old as well. Might eat dirty take away once every couple of months these days but that's also a product of being flat broke. Same with beer, intake massively reduced.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been making burrito bowls for work lunches the last couple of weeks. I use turkey mince, black beans, brown rice in mexican sauce with some spices for the base, then have tomato, cucumber, capsicum and red onion, jalapenos, then half an avocado on top. I was using a bit of sour cream, I loooove sour cream, but have since changed that for cottage cheese to try keep it healthier. I've always said I could eat Mexican every day and I pretty well have since November.

I need to either learn to ditch the after lunch snack or get a better one. It's usually three rice cakes with a bit of natural peanut butter and a banana but I think while I'm trying to lose weight I shouldnt be having much peanut butter. I changed to Vegemite this week but I think I should be swapping to something with a bit more nutritional value. Especially when I sometimes have another three rice cakes when I get home.

I've been a lot more vigilant on my weekend unhealthy habits but it still seems like every meal ends up with bread, bread rolls or wraps just for the ease of making food for the missus and two year old as well. Might eat dirty take away once every couple of months these days but that's also a product of being flat broke. Same with beer, intake massively reduced.

I make chicken, broccoli and brown rice every fortnight. Try making 20 meals.

Makes such a difference when you know what you are going to eat every day. Helps that I absolutely love it!

Like the idea of the burrito bowl. Might try something like that in for dinner. Steak and Egg white omelettes are my usual when not eating the chicken/broccoli/brown rice.

Egg white omelettes are amazing. I go through about 10kg of egg whites in about a fortnight with the missus, who loves them too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Cripps could eat macccas every day and still be a superstar. Diet gives him the best chance to perform at his elite best but doesn’t magically make him a good footballer.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Who said it did?

No one but just getting in before any claims so. Correlation isn’t causation.

There was some posters a couple of years in the LCHF thread claiming some of the Australian cricketers forms were die to LCHF diets

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
No one but just getting in before any claims so. Correlation isn’t causation.

There was some posters a couple of years in the LCHF thread claiming some of the Australian cricketers forms were die to LCHF diets
Khawaja's was. Also the article said Cripps came to the club chubby and has to adhere to a strict diet. So maybe yes, it does have a lot to do with his health and fitness.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Khawaja's was. Also the article said Cripps came to the club chubby and has to adhere to a strict diet. So maybe yes, it does have a lot to do with his health and fitness.

Health and fitness is a lot different to being a good footballer. I didn’t say it wouldn’t help, it could get him to another level. But you hardly go from being a ressies player to Brownlow favourite because of diet.

And for that matter Losing the weight was the key, as opposed to the diet he was on. Same with khawaja losing the weight was the key.

I’ve got nothing against LCHF, but it ain’t magical. If you find that the best way to lose weight then go for your life.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Khawaja had lost weight on non lchf and it made no difference. He was on the verge of quitting not only cricket but all sport until he started very low carb.

Is he still on LCHF now?

What was it about low carb that stopped him from quitting cricket?

I also think people don't really understand calories. Studies have shown people can under estimate calorie intake by 30-50% and can over estimate calories burnt by the same amount.
Calories are an absolute bastard.

The estimates on what you burn are estimates, the estimates on what you absorb from food, also. Sure given time you can get a lot more accurate with your own body than those estimates, but most people are not going to be able to

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Calories are an absolute bastard.

The estimates on what you burn are estimates, the estimates on what you absorb from food, also. Sure given time you can get a lot more accurate with your own body than those estimates, but most people are not going to be able to

And the ones who don’t take time to measure/estimate food will be the ones who remain out of shape.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Good to see the American Diabetes Association just announce after research and studies that it doesn't matter what your preferred diet you follow for T2, mediterranean, Paleo, vegetarian etc, the main focus should be a low carb version.

"Consensus recommendations c Avariety of eating patterns (combinations of different foodsorfood groups) are acceptable for the management of diabetes. c Until the evidence surrounding comparative benefits of different eating patterns in specific individuals strengthens, health care providers should focus on the key factors that are common among the patterns: ○ Emphasize nonstarchy vegetables. ○ Minimize added sugars and refined grains. ○ Choose whole foods over highly processed foods to the extent possible. c Reducing overall carbohydrate intake for individuals with diabetes has demonstrated the most evidence for improving glycemia and may be applied in a variety of eating patterns that meet individual needs and preferences. c For select adults with type 2 diabetes not meeting glycemic targets or where reducing antiglycemicmedicationsisapriority, reducing overall carbohydrate intake with low-or very lowcarbohydrate eating plans is a viable approach."

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
the most important thing that many people don't understand is that not all calories are equal.
if you cant grasp that then it doesnt matter how well you measure and estimate.

i'd say its far more important to understand the nutrient component of your food and how it fits into a healthy eating plan than how many calories it contains.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back