Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
the most important thing that many people don't understand is that not all calories are equal.
if you cant grasp that then it doesnt matter how well you measure and estimate.

i'd say its far more important to understand the nutrient component of your food and how it fits into a healthy eating plan than how many calories it contains.
Totally agree. Nutrient density is far more important than counting calories.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
the most important thing that many people don't understand is that not all calories are equal.
if you cant grasp that then it doesnt matter how well you measure and estimate.

i'd say its far more important to understand the nutrient component of your food and how it fits into a healthy eating plan than how many calories it contains.

Calories are equal, BUT there is some calories out there that are next to useless and others that are fair more beneficial.

If you want to lose weight it’s far better to be eating fresh food not making macros fit with take away foods.

For some people they like a bit of flexibility in their diet and can handle/control cravings. Other people would rather stick to strict adherence and avoid trigger foods.

You can still overeat good foods and put on weight just like you can eat s**t food and lose weight.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
the issue with diets, losing weight, etc is the different theories and options. i have simplified it for myself to 5 general points and it works for me. I don't count, i go by feel.

1. stay hydrated
I never not have a glass or sports bottle of water near me

2. eat protein, every meal, everyday.
it's satiating for longer and minimises muscle breakdown. i make sure I have a type of it in every single meal or top up with a shake in between meals.

3. kJ on target (maintaing and growing) or slight deficit (losing fat)
i put all of the meals i prepare on smaller entree sized plates as portion control is big factor here and limits overeating. I'll also eat a little bit of everything on the plate rather than saving the best bit too last. If anything, I'll make sure to finish the protein on the plate first so. i'll have my next meal when i begin to feel the hunger pangs. Note: I don't go hangry. a big no no!

4. participate in resistance training & other weight-bearing based training eg. sprinting.
otherwise, you'll just be skinny and soft

5. do it consistently.
like learning a skill, playing an instrument, lifting weights for gains, this is where the magic happens. doing it for a day here or a day there, or doing it for 4 weeks and then getting lax on the principles above will lead to s**t. it needs to be done over and over again.

i can't believe millions of hundred-paged crap has been written about this over the decades. I've narrowed it down to 4 points and a few hundred words. it really is that simple.

Last edited:

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
the issue with diets, losing weight, etc is the different theories and options. i have simplified it for myself to 4 general points and it works for me. I don't count, i go by feel.

1. eat protein, every meal, everyday.
it's satiating for longer and minimises muscle breakdown. i make sure I have a type of it in every single meal or top up with a shake in between meals.

2. kJ on target (maintaing and growing) or slight deficit (losing fat)
i put all of the meals i prepare on smaller entree sized plates as portion control is big factor here and limits overeating. i'll have my next meal when i begin to feel the hunger pangs. Note: I don't go hangry. a big no no!

3. participate in resistance training & other weight-bearing based training eg. sprinting.

4. do it consistently.
like learning a skill, playing an instrument, lifting weights for gains, this is where the magic happens. doing it for a day here or a day there, or doing it for 4 weeks and then getting lax on the principles above will lead to ****. it needs to be done over and over again.

i can't believe millions of hundred-paged crap has been written about this over the decades. I've narrowed it down to 4 points and a few hundred words. it really is that simple.

Everyones body is different, there is no magic out there, give yourself the best chance be finding a lifestyle you can adhere to.

the issue with diets, losing weight, etc is the different theories and options. i have simplified it for myself to 5 general points and it works for me. I don't count, i go by feel.

1. stay hydrated

i put all of the meals i prepare on smaller entree sized plates as portion control is big factor here and limits overeating. I'll also eat a little bit of everything on the plate rather than saving the best bit too last. If anything, I'll make sure to finish the protein on the plate first so. i'll have my next meal when i begin to feel the hunger pangs. Note: I don't go hangry. a big no no!

4. participate in resistance training & other weight-bearing based training eg. sprinting.

5. do it consistently.
like learning a skill, playing an instrument, lifting weights for gains, this is where the magic happens. doing it for a day here or a day there, or doing it for 4 weeks and then getting lax on the principles above will lead to ****. it needs to be done over and over again.

All good points.

"Don't eat processed crap" is my basic mantra and I'm convinced that alone would work for most people.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

1. stay hydrated

i put all of the meals i prepare on smaller entree sized plates as portion control is big factor here and limits overeating. I'll also eat a little bit of everything on the plate rather than saving the best bit too last. If anything, I'll make sure to finish the protein on the plate first so. i'll have my next meal when i begin to feel the hunger pangs.

5. do it consistently.

Good points except for "Note: I don't go hangry. a big no no!"
Theirs very good research that feast/famine is beneficial to long term health. One of the reasons fasting is gaining wide spread acceptance especially in the scientific community. Professor Yoshinori Ohsumi won a Nobel peace prize for his reaserch into fasting and autophagy.
Personally I love the feeling of moderate hunger. Back in the days of "never going hungry" even when so called dieting and watching what I ate, I always struggled and was always hungry, especially when I first woke on the morning.
Embrace hunger, it's perfectly natural.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Theirs very good research that feast/famine is beneficial to long term health. One of the reasons fasting is gaining wide spread acceptance especially in the scientific community. Professor Yoshinori Ohsumi won a Nobel peace prize for his reaserch into fasting and autophagy.
Personally I love the feeling of moderate hunger. Back in the days of "never going hungry" even when so called dieting and watching what I ate, I always struggled and was always hungry, especially when I first woke on the morning.

If you want a really simple way to “count calories” a slight rule I use is to stop eating when you are still slightly hungry or have the feeling you could eat more. People would be surprised by how often they don’t need that extra last bit.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Note that I said hangry. I'm fine with moderate hunger and experience it, but I don't purposely fast for extended periods of time.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fellas just looking for some help with my brekky. Currently going the muesli/oats with greek yoghurt simply because I can knock it off in 5 mins and get going. I've known that the muesli is pretty sugary with like 15g per serve or something at least, for some reason I've ignored it though whilst being fairly strict with everything else.

Any recommendations for something really quick and easy but alot healthier? I've started to sus out the keto diet but I feel under 20g of carbs per day will be a little too strict for me.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Fellas just looking for some help with my brekky. Currently going the muesli/oats with greek yoghurt simply because I can knock it off in 5 mins and get going. I've known that the muesli is pretty sugary with like 15g per serve or something at least, for some reason I've ignored it though whilst being fairly strict with everything else.

Any recommendations for something really quick and easy but alot healthier? I've started to sus out the keto diet but I feel under 20g of carbs per day will be a little too strict for me.
Keto is usually under 50 grams per day.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could you do overnight oats? Can do some pretty good flavours to mix it up. Obviously won't work if you go low carb though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oats don't agree with me which is a shame because porridge is probably the best Winter brekky from a comfort perspective.

Been rocking omlettes lately, can load them up with spinach and mushroom and capsicum

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How low would the sugar content be?

Entirely up to you. Basic recipe is just rolled oats and whatever milk suits your needs, maybe a bit of vanilla essence to sweeten it and some Greek yoghurt then put whatever you want in there. I used to add in natural peanut butter and banana or you can do cacao powder for chocolate ones, can do it with fruit, apple and cinnamon, there's hundreds of recipes for them. Just pick whatever suits your diet at the time.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Oats don't agree with me which is a shame because porridge is probably the best Winter brekky from a comfort perspective.

Been rocking omlettes lately, can load them up with spinach and mushroom and capsicum
Omelettes are also my choice of first meal.
Diced turkey, chorizo, tommatos, parmesan cheese, mushroom and cream is my fav.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Are you trying to lose weight and/or be conscious of calories?

Carbs and sugar aren’t the devil.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are you trying to lose weight and/or be conscious of calories?

Carbs and sugar aren’t the devil.

To be honest mate just trying to kick the little gut I've got. Continually cop s**t for it even though it's not too bad and it's just annoying me. Just trying to fine tune the diet to help it. Pints every Saturday after footy aren't helping but I'm trying to cut down on that too to an extent.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

Weet bix is good

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Butter in Pan, whisk 3 eggs, add salt, herbs, pepper and shredded cheese. You choose whether to make an omelette or scramble. Takes less than 5 minutes and you have a nutrient packed breakfast.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
To be honest mate just trying to kick the little gut I've got. Continually cop **** for it even though it's not too bad and it's just annoying me. Just trying to fine tune the diet to help it. Pints every Saturday after footy aren't helping but I'm trying to cut down on that too to an extent.

First off, unfortunately you can't spot reduce fat cutting out sugar or going keto won't magically spot reduce the fat around the stomach. Overall calories are key, if you feel going Keto will allow you to best adhere to a calorie restricted diet then go for it, but could you see yourself on low carb for the foreseeable future or once off Keto will just overeat carbs. Personally it is why i dont go low carb, i feel much better just having a moderate amount each day.

Secondly, i am not saying you can't have alcohol and lose weight but if you really want to get in shape alcohol is really useless calories. Personally i am not a big drinker, i'd much rather some chocolate over beer. I'd be dropping the beers before pointing the finger at foods like Oats.

Thirdly the reason i ask, is if your priority is to lose weight some of the low carb high fat breakfasts' are high in calories (not unhealthy) but high in calories none the less, so if you are substituting oats and berries for eggs, butter, cream there can be a big calorie difference gram for gram. And if you don't change your other meals throughout the day but in a higher calorie breakfast you could be consuming more calories than you previously have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back