Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldoge

Debutant
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Depends on your relationship status as it could be classified as either a compound or isolation exercise.
And we all know a good workout should start with big compound movements and finish off with isolation movements :thumbsu:

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
The aim should be 30g of EEA’s per day.

It’s not about how much protein you consume but more so what is utilised as body protein(muscle building).

Here is the ratio of what protein is turned into body protein but you also need to take into account that this is also depending on the state of your gut flora, stomach acids and digestive enzymes are all working efficiently etc..

Essential Amino acids powder 99%

Mother milk 49%

Eggs 48%

Meat 33%

Whey 17%

Plant protein 10%

So consuming 4 eggs will lead to the same amount of body protein as 200g of beef.

Yes a Vegan could achieve 30g EEA’s per day but they would have to consume copious amounts of vege unless they supplemented with EEA powder.

So concentrate more so on reaching 30g EAA’s per day opposed to 1.5g/k etc.

I put 2 eggs on my steak in honour of this post

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Recently my 11 yr old daughter proclaimed she wants to be vegan. No big deal as having 3 girls I always anticipated this situation may occur. One thing that has struck me though,is it doesn't seem to be just about the animals,but she now seems to have a genuine fear she is going to have a heart attack and get cancer.

My gut told me YouTube,so I had a look at a few channels,and what I found was disturbing,on all sides. People with seemingly large channels promoting everything from fruit only diets,to smoothie only diets,all the way through to raw meat only diets.
All these channels did seem to use catch phrases that they used over and over and over,but they were all certainly also promoting death if you didn't follow their prescribed diet,and some very aggressively.

Something else that struck me was how openly some were promoting death to humans that eat meat,one fella in particular would even wave a knife around whilst preaching his sermon while offering all kinds of threats.

I'd like to know if people think we have a problem with some of these uneducated Youtubers giving so strong nutritional advice to people who maybe susceptible to their rantings and ravings? I'm concerned about regulation for different reasons,but what I saw was a worry,and certainly not healthy.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not much you can to about it, youtube/the internet is nigh on impossible to regulate, you take something down and it can pop straight back up in another guise.
Thanks Jason,and like I said I've got serious concerns about regulation also. I live on a small farm,so we take our diet very seriously,and I can respect the vegan viewpoint,as I can all viewpoints,not everyone wants to be killing chickens and spending days chopping up pigs and sheep you've been raising for nine months. Nor spending countless hours growing,canning and preserving vegetables from the garden.

My concern is the 'meat eaters must die' angle,and believe me it was openly being said. Surely there must already be laws in place regarding the fella who was waving knives around threatening to kill people who eat meat,no matter what his diet is?
I found there was a lot of misinformation on both sides,but some of the aggression and violent threats need to stop. I've currently banned my daughter from watching vegan YouTube for this reason,but I'm well aware this solution want work,nor do I want it to work,and I need to find a better solution quick smart.
We are doing no meat Mondays which has eased the tension slightly for the time being.

Will be really interesting if I could get some good advice. And yes we obviously teach our children that killing for revenge is not good,but I'm staggered how hard some of these people are pushing it,including one female in particular who also seems to go off her chops on a regular basis.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Threatening meat eaters with weapons? Sounds like vegan gains.
That's the fella,the girl who wants to kill humans is Freelee,and obviously they have some other channel people as well telling all the kids they are all going to die,crazy stuff.
You seem familiar with the scene...do you know any channels that are 'cool' but suitable for an 11 year old girl,that promote an honest,nutritious,balanced diet? No worries if it is veg heavy as we grow plenty of veg,but Tofu/Soy,Legumes,Quina,Rice etc are not really an option as I don't grow those things. We have plenty of eggs and goats milk but these vegans have been telling the kids they are eating 'periods',so my daughter is kinda off eggs at the minute.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
YouTube is trash on soany levels
Totally agree,but kids like it and I don't want to be a 'stick in the mud' parent. Obviously I keep an eye on what the kids are watching,and I can handle harmless trash,but talking about killing people because of diet and scare mongering is a bit to much,obviously.
That's why I'm hoping someone on here might know of some more suitable nutritional channels,obviously that would be appealing to a young audience,but not baby stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also outstanding on so many levels.
It has its uses but it also has quite a few toxic communities and the platform itself takes no responsibility for the damage they allow to be done on it

Totally agree,but kids like it and I don't want to be a 'stick in the mud' parent. Obviously I keep an eye on what the kids are watching,and I can handle harmless trash,but talking about killing people because of diet and scare mongering is a bit to much,obviously.
That's why I'm hoping someone on here might know of some more suitable nutritional channels,obviously that would be appealing to a young audience,but not baby stuff.
Kids like it but they shouldn't be on it. YouTube officially says not under 13 without supervision but their algorithms are so bad that you should be very careful what they are watching because some of the s**t I've seen on "kids" channels, not to mention the ads that aren't kids appropriate that can play....

All social media is toxic, twitter is by far the worst culprit, even Big Footy can be toxic, so no point signaling out youtube.
Not disagreeing but a lot don't see YouTube as social media and the format is quite persuasive, dangerous combination

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All social media is toxic, twitter is by far the worst culprit, even Big Footy can be toxic, so no point signaling out youtube.
I agree social media can be toxic,but not all social media is allowing people to wave around knives telling people to kill people that eat meat. This bloke even talks about killing babies,and goes into great detail on how he would like to do it. I don't know how this stuff is even legal.

Anyway,do you know any good nutritional programmes. Bare in mind the kids know how to raise animals,grow veg and they can cook,so they're coming of an ok base I guess. They're not fat junk food kids.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It has its uses but it also has quite a few toxic communities and the platform itself takes no responsibility for the damage they allow to be done on it

Kids like it but they shouldn't be on it. YouTube officially says not under 13 without supervision but their algorithms are so bad that you should be very careful what they are watching because some of the s**t I've seen on "kids" channels, not to mention the ads that aren't kids appropriate that can play....
Yes I'm careful,that's why YouTube is currently banned,but that solution isn't going to last forever,that's why I'm looking for good nutritioal content.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree social media can be toxic,but not all social media is allowing people to wave around knives telling people to kill people that eat meat. This bloke even talks about killing babies,and goes into great detail on how he would like to do it. I don't know how this stuff is even legal.

Anyway,do you know any good nutritional programmes. Bare in mind the kids know how to raise animals,grow veg and they can cook,so they're coming of an ok base I guess. They're not fat junk food kids.
Twitter and facebook do. Vegan extremists are disgusting human beings.

Optimising Nutrition is the best by a mile, and it's Aussie.
Some serious research and number crunching is presented in an easy to understand format.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Twitter and facebook do. Vegan extremists are disgusting human beings.

Optimising Nutrition is the best by a mile, and it's Aussie.
Some serious research and number crunching is presented in an easy to understand format.

Cheers man but I don't want to vegan,it's my daughter. I'm not totally fussed if she did want to go vegan because I can't see her not eating ice cream or cheese. Vegetarian I could handle because at least she could still be healthy. My concerns are also the teaching of death threats and guilt trips etc. and I was just wondering if there's better,more positive stuff out there for kids.

Thanks for the links though,as I think I'm going to have to also educate myself to the tactics some of these activists are employing.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Cheers man but I don't want to vegan,it's my daughter. I'm not totally fussed if she did want to go vegan because I can't see her not eating ice cream or cheese. Vegetarian I could handle because at least she could still be healthy. My concerns are also the teaching of death threats and guilt trips etc. and I was just wondering if there's better,more positive stuff out there for kids.

Thanks for the links though,as I think I'm going to have to also educate myself to the tactics some of these activists are employing.

You could potentially try and (also) have a rolling dialect with her about what she’s watched, what she thinks about it etc
Odds are she’s going to get exposed to those extreme attitudes anyway (and this isn’t just with vegan/diet s**t either).
You’re better off trying to prepare her in how to absorb and decipher that information rather than attempting to control what information she receives.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You could potentially try and (also) have a rolling dialect with her about what she’s watched, what she thinks about it etc
Odds are she’s going to get exposed to those extreme attitudes anyway (and this isn’t just with vegan/diet s**t either).
You’re better off trying to prepare her in how to absorb and decipher that information rather than attempting to control what information she receives.
Thanks man and we are doing that,and that's a reason why I'd rather her start learning more about nutrition from experts etc..
One of the problems is she is currently convinced she's going to have a heart attack or get cancer which is a bit sad. Obviously we have also explained that whether you agree or disagree with someone,death threats certainly isn't the answer.
We also raise our own animals,for health and enviromental reasons,so like I explained,I always knew one of the girls may eventually question those choices. What I didn't know was how hypnotic and violent some of the opposing views out there were,and the size of some of their audiences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back