Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers man but I don't want to vegan,it's my daughter. I'm not totally fussed if she did want to go vegan because I can't see her not eating ice cream or cheese. Vegetarian I could handle because at least she could still be healthy. My concerns are also the teaching of death threats and guilt trips etc. and I was just wondering if there's better,more positive stuff out there for kids.

Thanks for the links though,as I think I'm going to have to also educate myself to the tactics some of these activists are employing.
Get her to read this. I posted it on the Tiger forum a few weeks ago. Fascinating reading.

So you’re a vegan ... but are you, really?
The number of animals that die each and every day to produce vegan food is astonishing.
By MATTHEW EVANS

"According to an article by Mike Archer, Professor in the Faculty of Science at the University of NSW, roughly 25 times more sentient beings die to produce a kilo of protein from wheat than a kilo of protein from beef"

"What about vegan wine, you say? It doesn’t use fish bladders, or milk extracts, or egg as a fining agent (ingredients used to clarify many wines, beers and ciders). But don’t forget the harvest. Come with me to watch grapes being picked, watch as huge tubs of plump grapes are tipped into the crusher along with mice, spiders, lizards, snakes and frogs. Sadly, vegan wine is a furphy."

"On average, 1 billion mice are poisoned every year in Western Australia alone. According to a 2005 Senate report, if we didn’t kill mice the cost of food would rise drastically; even with heavy baiting programs, mice cost the Australian economy about a $36 million a year."

"Over a five-year period up to 2013, rice farmers in NSW killed nearly 200,000 native ducks to protect their fields"

"According to Scientific American, up to 80 billion domestic honeybees are estimated to have a hand in the Californian almond industry each year, up to half of which die during the management process and the long journeys to and from the large almond orchards"

"According to Scientific American, each of us eats about 0.5-1kg of flies, maggots and other bugs a year, hidden in the chocolate we eat, the grains we consume, the peanut butter we spread on toast"

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Should add, There's zero scientific evidence that eating vegan is healthier than a plant/carnivore combination.

I am telling you something you already know, but a lot of these red meat consumption studies don't allow for other life style factors or what types of red meat is eaten. It is just you eat red meat and have a disease = red meat is bad.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Twitter and facebook do. Vegan extremists are disgusting human beings.

Optimising Nutrition is the best by a mile, and it's Aussie.
Some serious research and number crunching is presented in an easy to understand format.

It was a pleasant surprise to find Gary Fettke in that link.

How great is Gary Fettke.♥

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Get her to read this. I posted it on the Tiger forum a few weeks ago. Fascinating reading.

So you’re a vegan ... but are you, really?
The number of animals that die each and every day to produce vegan food is astonishing.
By MATTHEW EVANS

"According to an article by Mike Archer, Professor in the Faculty of Science at the University of NSW, roughly 25 times more sentient beings die to produce a kilo of protein from wheat than a kilo of protein from beef"

"What about vegan wine, you say? It doesn’t use fish bladders, or milk extracts, or egg as a fining agent (ingredients used to clarify many wines, beers and ciders). But don’t forget the harvest. Come with me to watch grapes being picked, watch as huge tubs of plump grapes are tipped into the crusher along with mice, spiders, lizards, snakes and frogs. Sadly, vegan wine is a furphy."

"On average, 1 billion mice are poisoned every year in Western Australia alone. According to a 2005 Senate report, if we didn’t kill mice the cost of food would rise drastically; even with heavy baiting programs, mice cost the Australian economy about a $36 million a year."

"Over a five-year period up to 2013, rice farmers in NSW killed nearly 200,000 native ducks to protect their fields"

"According to Scientific American, up to 80 billion domestic honeybees are estimated to have a hand in the Californian almond industry each year, up to half of which die during the management process and the long journeys to and from the large almond orchards"

"According to Scientific American, each of us eats about 0.5-1kg of flies, maggots and other bugs a year, hidden in the chocolate we eat, the grains we consume, the peanut butter we spread on toast"

Thankyou,and yes we are trying to explain that angle,and because we live on a homestead she really does understand some of this. For example we have 2 pet cats,but we also have two barn cats,and she is well aware what their job is. She also helps out in the garden so she is well aware how important it is to control the insect population.
Like I said in my opening post,she seems more scared of dieing herself than the animal side due to the 'propaganda' I was silly enough to not be on top of what she was watching.
I'm going to try and explain more the junk food/sugar angle and I'm confident at the end of the day the scare tactics/misinformation angle will make her smarter rather than vegan.
The egg thing I've just been explaining is plain silly and very rude and crude.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Should add, There's zero scientific evidence that eating vegan is healthier than a plant/carnivore combination.
Fortunately she wants to be a vet,so going with the scientific angle really could be a good option,even though she is very young.
I think she's also old enough to start learning a little bit about misinformation and propaganda.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Came across this and found it an interesting little watch. It's a bit of a wider ranging discussion on nutrition in general than the title suggests.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Not much I don't think. Though she probably is the only one that doesn't have a naturally leaner type build. She's certainly not fat just a bit 'chubby'.
i'm not surprised. some people overeat grains, pastas and junk snacks because they dont have the means/will/imagination to cook and eat from the restricted selection of food sources.
a box of BBQ Shapes or a big bag of Doritos is vegan right?

i assume a 19 year old would be more susceptible to this given they probably aren't preparing a lot of their own meals anyway.

EDIT: maybe not Doritos (do their cheese flavours actually contain cheese?) but you get my point.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Oats & Eggs in a protein shake using full cream milk

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Lots of vegans carry a bit extra, it's pretty common. They generally have a higher ratio of carbs in meals.

So if carlories were equated, eating a meal with a lesser ratio of carbs would mean you would be leaner?

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Generally speaking - vegans don't calorie count? So that's a bit of an oxymoron.

But calories equated, they'd still be hungry. :rolleyes:

You are generalising;

All vegans carry more weight than non vegans

No vegan counts calories

Carbs are more fattening than protein and fats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back