Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You are generalising;

All vegans carry more weight than non vegans
I'm not a vegan fan, but they're generally thinner then the average person. Then again that's a low bar these days. I'd certainly go with there's a lot of skinny-fat vegan's.

Carbs are more fattening than protein and fats
Carbs obviously aren't really any more or less fattening then protein or fats. I would contend though that carbs are much less satiating for an equivalent amount of calories. Using the old n=1 I've found it's easy to have a big meal that's mostly / all carbs and then an hour later feel like I could eat again. When spring rolls around I LCHF it's rare I'd have a big meal that's no or almost no carbs and then feel like eating again in anything like the same time as the carb heavy meal.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I'm not a vegan fan, but they're generally thinner then the average person. Then again that's a low bar these days. I'd certainly go with there's a lot of skinny-fat vegan's.

Carbs obviously aren't really any more or less fattening then protein or fats. I would contend though that carbs are much less satiating for an equivalent amount of calories. Using the old n=1 I've found it's easy to have a big meal that's mostly / all carbs and then an hour later feel like I could eat again. When spring rolls around I LCHF it's rare I'd have a big meal that's no or almost no carbs and then feel like eating again in anything like the same time as the carb heavy meal.

You've put some context around your thoughts, as opposed to blanket statements. I have no problem agreeing on carbs especially refined carbs are easier to over eat than protein and fats.

Chloe 28

Rookie
Jan 6, 2019
UK.
AFL Club
Fremantle
I keep my weight down by eating cereal for breakfast and supper, and having 2 hot meals during the day, whether it's pasta and low fat sauce, or baked potato and veg with chicken, it works for me. I don't follow diets i prefer to eat sensibly all of the time, i also nibble on nuts and fruit which can make a person feel full.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I keep my weight down by eating cereal for breakfast and supper, and having 2 hot meals during the day, whether it's pasta and low fat sauce, or baked potato and veg with chicken, it works for me. I don't follow diets i prefer to eat sensibly all of the time, i also nibble on nuts and fruit which can make a person feel full.

You didn't follow a diet, but you did the same thing every diet has in common - calorie restriction

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
3500 cal maintenance at 73kg

Anyone rocking a higher metabolism?

Bloody nuts, although i partially just don’t like the cooking yet get bored of cereal type foods

I feel if I had a personal chef clean 4K cals could be done with ease

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Bloody nuts, although i partially just don’t like the cooking yet get bored of cereal type foods

LOL my metabolism is slower than a wet week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

I don’t know I could comfortably get back down to 73kg, but at around 80-81kg I’d be on 3000+.
I was on close to 4000 when my body weight plateaued around 87-88kg.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I had a laugh at this rant. It's based on the messages presented by nutrition "experts" who appear on Joe Rogans podcast.

793189d.jpg

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I had a laugh at this rant. It's based on the messages presented by nutrition "experts" who appear on Joe Rogans podcast.

View attachment 738807
It's funny but IMO Joe Rogan has fantastic guests on his Podcast when it comes to Health, Training, Diet and Nutrition. I listen to most of his Podcasts and he also has plenty of people on who he disagrees with on all manner of subjects.

It's like most things presented on platforms like Podcasts/Forums/Blogs etc, in the end do your own research, experiment if safe to do so and then take out of it what you feel works for you.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's funny but IMO Joe Rogan has fantastic guests on his Podcast when it comes to Health, Training, Diet and Nutrition. I listen to most of his Podcasts and he also has plenty of people on who he disagrees with on all manner of subjects.

It's like most things presented on platforms like Podcasts/Forums/Blogs etc, in the end do your own research, experiment if safe to do so and then take out of it what you feel works for you.
I agree with you totally mate, but it makes me suspect that we are still in the dark ages re nutrition.

Or, at the very least, that there is not a "one size fits all" solution on the topic.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I agree with you totally mate, but it makes me suspect that we are still in the dark ages re nutrition.

Or, at the very least, that there is not a "one size fits all" solution on the topic.
thats the thing. all of those messages make sense given the right person and circumstance.

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Nutrition is very much a new science. That's why platforms like YouTube are filled with unqualified con artists.
Joe Rogans show is ok.

JD234

Debutant
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Anyone recommend some super simple healthy lunch ideas other than leftovers? I eat healthy every meal apart from lunch, need some ideas to help change that!
I have access to a fridge and a microwave at work.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone recommend some super simple healthy lunch ideas other than leftovers? I eat healthy every meal apart from lunch, need some ideas to help change that!

Do you like Mexican food? I've been having a burrito bowl sort of thing for about eight months straight. I cook Turkey mince, black beans and a cup of brown rice on a Sunday night, that does four days. Every morning cut half a tomato, some red onion, some cucumber, capsicum and a bit of cottage cheese. Some avocado, Mexican sauce and jalapenos goes on the meat before I microwave that, then mix the other stuff in. If you're not too worried about calories you can put it on a wrap too.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Chicken breast/beef, veggies and rice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back