Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like if you excluded anything you could buy at a movie theatre* (sans water) or from a drive through you’d probably end up with a reasonably healthy way of eating.

*it’s been a while since I’ve been and ever longer since I’ve bought any food there so not sure what they’re selling these days but all I can remember is candy, popcorn and soft drink
but popcorn is delicous

speaking of Pete http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...co-magic-pill-health-claims-evaluated/9891470

I did notice that his movie was on Netflix

I have an issue with the term documentary in general as it's rare to impossible to find one that hasn't picked a side, the makers of the documentary usually end up either making a movie to prove/disprove something or to profile someone in a good/bad light based on their views.

Obviously being objective about this sort of thing when you put so much time into making it would be hard if not impossible but people see the heading documentary and equate that with fact

Now Pete's movie isn't alone in being questionable on Netflix, there are plenty of ads on there disguised as documentaries, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead comes to mind, a movie presented as a guy doing a Spurling Morlock but with juicing and turns out he's got his own nutribullet, book and system to sell when you look him up

Sometimes I wonder how much of what he peddles he actually believes and how much of it is calculated to get maximum exposure, no mention on his site of the fact they were questioning the efficacy of his claims around keto curing autism and cancer, no Doctors don't want you to eat healthy because they'd be out of a job, oh btw here is a link to my 10 week program

I’m not sure why people get so worked up over Pete Evans, short of him breaking into your house, holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat like him - how does his comments/belief affect your way of life.

I’m not sure why people get so worked up over Pete Evans, short of him breaking into your house, holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat like him - how does his comments/belief affect your way of life.
Personally i dont like peole that dismiss science
Question the theory but dont dismiss the process

He's another celebrity making money off slagging scientific process and profiting off conspiracy undermining medicine and critical thinking

We get too much of that

Last edited:

I tend to agree and have said it’s up to a consumer to make the decision but saying cause he doesn’t put a gun to your head is an odd argument.

I agree, and as i pointed out before i doubt there's been another who's singlehandedly been responsible for so many Australians taking more of an interest in nutrition and a healthy lifestyle than Evans. If the haters dont like him then it's easy, just put him on ignore.

His stir fry sauce's are just divine. :p

What do all of you put in your salads?

Current meal and exercise plan as of Monday just passed:

Fasted Cardio from 5:30am to 6am at the gym. Try and burn 200-250 calories.
Breakfast around 7am when I get to work: XO Crunch - similar nutrition table to Oats, just tastes better imo.
Eat again around 10am: 175g mixed stir fry veggies (beans, broccoli, etc) and 115g chicken breast.
Eat before arvo gym around 1:30-2pm: 225g chicken, 175g mixed stir fry veggies and 115g of rice.
Dinner around 7-8pm: Steak and Salad.

Anyone got a low calorie salad recipe? I've just bought one of those bags of 4 leaf s**t from coles, tastes like crap though.

His stir fry sauce's are just divine. :p

What do all of you put in your salads?

Current meal and exercise plan as of Monday just passed:

Fasted Cardio from 5:30am to 6am at the gym. Try and burn 200-250 calories.
Breakfast around 7am when I get to work: XO Crunch - similar nutrition table to Oats, just tastes better imo.
Eat again around 10am: 175g mixed stir fry veggies (beans, broccoli, etc) and 115g chicken breast.
Eat before arvo gym around 1:30-2pm: 225g chicken, 175g mixed stir fry veggies and 115g of rice.
Dinner around 7-8pm: Steak and Salad.

Anyone got a low calorie salad recipe? I've just bought one of those bags of 4 leaf s**t from coles, tastes like crap though.

All salads are low calorie if you don’t include sauces or fats like avocados.

You will get full before you get fat eating salad same goes with veggies

apparently keto's are buying up all the diabetes test strips to monitor their weight loss

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...obbing-diabetics-of-life-saving-tests/9927608
Those piss tests are next to useless anyway. By the time you are adapted you don't have excessively high ketone levels because your body knows how to use them as fuel and they aren't just being evacuated in piss and breath. The only time I tested with the blood strips was to interpret and gain better understanding of ketosis around physical activity and performance. My ketones were only significantly elevated above 0.6 if I did any steady state cardio > 20 minutes. Heavy lifting, HIIT etc all around the 0.6 - 1 mmol/L.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not hard to workout why this has been posted, plus is old news, this from two years https://adiabeticsrollercoaster.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-ketone-strip-shortage.html isnt it obvious supply and demand would be a financial bonus for the manufacturer? This is just more scaremongering from Diabetes NSW for their ongoing crusade against low carb and keto diets, and you'll find the majority of keto forums advise ketone testing is a waste of time and effort. Initially the keto noob does it out of curiosity and as a short term insentive to stay focused and on track.
Plus you can get prescription ketone strips at any pharmay even online from chemist warehouse and the majority of t1 would have this under control, and t2 diabetics are also buying them in large numbers and dont need to, should they also be mentioned in the article?
and no wonder its hard for diabetics to rock up and buy them off the shelf in that area when "Diabetes New South Wales and ACT has also struggled to source keto strips, but has now stockpiled the product to sell online. Educator Angela Blair advised all diabetics to keep a constant supply of strips in their medical kits."

Those piss tests are next to useless anyway. By the time you are adapted you don't have excessively high ketone levels because your body knows how to use them as fuel and they aren't just being evacuated in piss and breath. The only time I tested with the blood strips was to interpret and gain better understanding of ketosis around physical activity and performance. My ketones were only significantly elevated above 0.6 if I did any steady state cardio > 20 minutes. Heavy lifting, HIIT etc all around the 0.6 - 1 mmol/L.
hey just because something doesn't work doesn't mean people don't buy it, in fact the diet industry thrives off that don't they :)

hey just because something doesn't work doesn't mean people don't buy it, in fact the diet industry thrives off that don't they :)
He didnt say they dont work, he said they are next to useless, as in not accurate because they only show excess acetoacetate (smelly urine) that is being flushed from the system, thats why the majority of t1 diabetics dont use them as their primary source, they use blood test strips. Thats one of the reasons why the article you posted was just spam from the DAA and Diabetes NSW.

He didnt say they dont work, he said they are next to useless, as in not accurate because they only show excess acetoacetate (smelly urine) that is being flushed from the system, thats why the majority of t1 diabetics dont use them as their primary source, they use blood test strips. Thats one of the reasons why the article you posted was just spam from the DAA and Diabetes NSW.
and here I was thinking it was just an article about an issue that had arisen

And a lot of the medical industry unfortunately.

And a lot of the medical industry unfortunately.
it's almost like money corrupts peoples ideals

I've worked for quite a few different types of companies, large and small including a couple of pharmaceutical companies and ideals often take a back seat to bottom lines

that doesn't mean everything is a lie and companies don't do any good but the whole health industry is an example of why self regulation isn't a good idea

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for under sink water filter systems? I am looking to remove flouride and chlorine as well as heavy metals and pesticides in the water supply. Live in metro Perth and have been looking at a PSI system online. Would prefer not going the reverse osmosis route.

I was thinking like curry or butter chicken w/ brown rice or pesto w/wholemeal pasta once a week.

Thanks for the response :)
White rice is easier for your body to digest and if eaten cold is resistant so goes straight to your intestines to feed your healthy gut flora.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back