Diet and nutrition

Cheers. I'm barely overweight, just carrying a beer gut that is only noticeable when I don't have a top on. The rest of my body I'm happy with. Can you please elaborate on the bold part? Is that just making sure I eat x number of grams of protein for my bodyweight?
Spot on. 1.5x bodyweight would be about ideal, just so you can hold onto that muscle.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Spot on. 1.5x bodyweight would be about ideal, just so you can hold onto that muscle.
Wow, I thought it was 0.8 x bodyweight. So if I weigh 80 kilos, I should be eating 120 grams of protein a day?

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space

Body weight does not accurately reflect your protein requirements, the best measure is to estimate your lean body mass (LBM). Obviously someone who is 80kg and 8% body fat has higher protein requirements than someone who is 90kg and 35% body fat.

I’m not sure you’d find any literature that recommends any higher than 2.2g per kilo of LBM.

For you, 250g of protein seems like overkill.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322825.php

I have been eating more protein (I don't measure it) than usual over the last month or so and the only side affect (I assume it's from increased protein consumption) is that I'm not as clockwork regular as I was.

Being physically active can increase the RDA of protein that people should eat. A 2016 study recommends eating:

• 1.0 g of protein per kg of body weight with minimal activity levels.
  • 1.3 g of protein per kg of body weight with moderate activity levels.
  • 1.6 g of protein per kg of body weight with intense activity levels.
I'm in the older demographic... so-
A 2016 study concluded that older adults should eat more protein than is currently recommended to promote healthy aging.

Most research indicates that eating more than 2 g per kg of body weight daily of protein for a long time can cause health problems.

Symptoms associated with too much protein include:

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Quick one for you all...

I overindulged in the summer and I'm now suffering the consequences. To shed excess kilos, I usually just go into a caloric deficit and it will disappear pretty seamlessly, but I'm wondering how I should go about losing it all whilst I'm weight training. Obviously I want to burn fat and retain (or ideally build) muscle, but is that even possible in a caloric deficit? Should I even be in a caloric deficit or should I just change my diet to high protein, less carbs, etc.? Or should I eat excess calories to add muscle that will consequently improve my metabolism to burn the fat? Really confused with how to approach this one as I don't want to lose any muscle but I've got this annoying fat that seems pretty stubborn and won't go with my regular diet/weight training so I feel as though I'm going to have to make a change, but what that change is, I do not know.

I thought it would be worth mentioning my diet is pretty standard. Eat cereal (Weet Bix) for breakfast, ham and salad rolls for lunch, meat and vegetables for dinner with a few snacks in between. The weekend I let loose a bit with beers and takeaway but none of that throughout the week.

Any advice, feedback or recomendations would be greatly appreciated. I can't get a straight answer out of Google, so hopefully BigFooty can put my on the right track.

Thanks in advance.

Firstly unless you are obese, a complete or on steroids you won’t be able to build muscle and lose body fat at the same time.

My recommendation would be to lose weight first then focus on building muscle. If you are overweight and remain in calorie surplus to Build muscle you will gain more body fat which you only have to lose again at some stage when you want to get lean.

The key to maintaining muscle whilst dieting is to keep your calories as high as possible whilst losing weight. People cut their calories to far, have good results but hit a stall. Maintain sufficient protein lift weight and maintain calorie deficit.

Sorry to nitpick ham isn’t the greatest protein source. Nor is bread rolls a great source of carbs BUT overall calories are key. You can still lose weight whilst eating those foods.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Wow, I thought it was 0.8 x bodyweight. So if I weigh 80 kilos, I should be eating 120 grams of protein a day?
0.8 was the baseline number they came up with in the 80's and its never been changed or challenged until now. For the average active bloke 1.2 should be the minimum, and if your aged 50 or over, or a younger gym goer or playing sport then at least 1.5 should be bare minimum. 2-3 grams is perfectly safe as theirs been no studies showing kidney damage at those levels.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
0.8 was the baseline number they came up with in the 80's and its never been changed or challenged until now. For the average active bloke 1.2 should be the minimum, and if your aged 50 or over, or a younger gym goer or playing sport then at least 1.5 should be bare minimum. 2-3 grams is perfectly safe as theirs been no studies showing kidney damage at those levels.
How on earth do you have 150 odd grams of protein every day? Surely you can’t get that through just food?

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
How on earth do you have 150 odd grams of protein every day? Surely you can’t get that through just food?
Bulk nutrients whey protein isolate is moderately inexpensive, tastes great and an easy way to dramatically increase protein, and for me it's easier as I don't eat carbs and have a low to moderate fat eating pattern

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322825.php

I have been eating more protein (I don't measure it) than usual over the last month or so and the only side affect (I assume it's from increased protein consumption) is that I'm not as clockwork regular as I was.

Being physically active can increase the RDA of protein that people should eat. A 2016 study recommends eating:

• 1.0 g of protein per kg of body weight with minimal activity levels.
  • 1.3 g of protein per kg of body weight with moderate activity levels.
  • 1.6 g of protein per kg of body weight with intense activity levels.
I'm in the older demographic... so-
A 2016 study concluded that older adults should eat more protein than is currently recommended to promote healthy aging.

Most research indicates that eating more than 2 g per kg of body weight daily of protein for a long time can cause health problems.

Symptoms associated with too much protein include:

Have you done any reading on the carnivore diet or the Nequalsmany Study?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Have you done any reading on the carnivore diet or the Nequalsmany Study?
No not in detail, no way I could eat only meat. I'm not a big red meat eater, sits too heavy in me, I stick to mainly chicken, fish and eggs for protein. I also love my green veggies and my lunch time smoothie with Berries, garlic, ginger, spinach and banana.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No not in detail, no way I could eat only meat. I'm not a big red meat eater, sits too heavy in me, I stick to mainly chicken, fish and eggs for protein. I also love my green veggies and my lunch time smoothie with Berries, garlic, ginger, spinach and banana.

Yeah of course I don’t think it’s for everyone.

Was more referring to the high levels of protein involved in that diet and that the side effects listed in your post aren’t commonly reported.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So it's taken 4 months, but people have finally noticed my weight loss. Mum and one of the execs at work commented within a day of each other...so i am on the right track (Y)

105.3 on Feb 17.
93.5 on Jun 27.

Hoping to get to 80 by the end of the year, and 75 by next June before BULKINGS!!!

VijoMorganstein

Debutant
Aug 1, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
So it's taken 4 months, but people have finally noticed my weight loss. Mum and one of the execs at work commented within a day of each other...so i am on the right track (Y)

105.3 on Feb 17.
93.5 on Jun 27.

Hoping to get to 80 by the end of the year, and 75 by next June before BULKINGS!!!
Good stuff :thumbsu: I've done a similar path, from 96.0 in March last year to 74.5 now and it's the best decision I've made so keep enjoying it

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Professor Yoshinori Ohsumi won a Nobel peace prize for his reaserch into fasting and autophagy.
Dr Ohsumi won the Nobel prize for Medicine or Physiology for his research into autophagy. To my knowledge he has not researched fasting, nor claimed any links between fasting and autophagy (other researchers have studied the connection in mice however). Dr Ohsumi's research focused on the cellular process and has applications for neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone else believe that the obsession with protein is mostly bs? I understand that everyone has different genetics, and I may be atypical. When I was a newb I was into the protein shakes and having a protein source with every meal... but I had my best gains when I stopped wasting money on supplements, and focussed on micronutrients and total calories. Ie lots of veggies with dinner, and a small calorie surplus. But just an average person's level of protein.

There are cultures that survive off only grains that have people who managed to get ripped... also baby formula contains bugger all protein, yet they grow like crazy.

Someone with a scientific background can feel free to call me an ignorant flog and correct me, but IMO protein powder is in the same bucket as all the other gym supplements - a scam.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Anyone else believe that the obsession with protein is mostly bs? I understand that everyone has different genetics, and I may be atypical. When I was a newb I was into the protein shakes and having a protein source with every meal... but I had my best gains when I stopped wasting money on supplements, and focussed on micronutrients and total calories. Ie lots of veggies with dinner, and a small calorie surplus. But just an average person's level of protein.

There are cultures that survive off only grains that have people who managed to get ripped... also baby formula contains bugger all protein, yet they grow like crazy.

Someone with a scientific background can feel free to call me an ignorant flog and correct me, but IMO protein powder is in the same bucket as all the other gym supplements - a scam.

Protein powder isn’t a scam, and depends on who is marketing it and how they are marketing it. Can it be a useful tool to put on weight or help you meet protein requirements when on a diet absolutely. Will it make you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger NO.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
FireKraquora
In the right circumstances there’s definitely scientific evidence to suggest protein supplementation can be useful (mainly in older, less active populations)

It's a convenience, not a necessity.

Nothing will replace the importance of diet and exercise.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
The aim should be 30g of EEA’s per day.

It’s not about how much protein you consume but more so what is utilised as body protein(muscle building).

Here is the ratio of what protein is turned into body protein but you also need to take into account that this is also depending on the state of your gut flora, stomach acids and digestive enzymes are all working efficiently etc..

Essential Amino acids powder 99%

Mother milk 49%

Eggs 48%

Meat 33%

Whey 17%

Plant protein 10%

So consuming 4 eggs will lead to the same amount of body protein as 200g of beef.

Yes a Vegan could achieve 30g EEA’s per day but they would have to consume copious amounts of vege unless they supplemented with EEA powder.

So concentrate more so on reaching 30g EAA’s per day opposed to 1.5g/k etc.

Back