Diet, Supplements and Enhancers

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
A while back I posted the famous Vince Gironda Maximum-Definition Diet from the 60's. No calorie counting. No fancy recipes. Proper man dieting.

Breakfast:
Eggs (no limit)
Meat (any kind, no limit)

Lunch:
Same as breakfast

Dinner:
Same as lunch
And they'd train chest and back 3 times a week ;)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

Funny how things come round again.
Old timers were basically full body 3x week, then "once a week" splits became popular, and nowadays higher frequency is making a resurgence.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Funny how things come round again.
Old timers were basically full body 3x week, then "once a week" splits became popular, and nowadays higher frequency is making a resurgence.
I think Arnie did the same 3 day split twice a week

Just the one day off

I just can't adapt to that much volume

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yeah same.
Quite happy to have settled on upper/lower done 2 days a week each.
How do you split your exercises up?

Would imagine what you do earlier in the week would be different towards the end of the week?

I was thinking of doing some sort of split like this a few months ago

Day 1 horizontal push/pull

Day 2 quads/squat etc day

Day 3 vertical push/pull

Day 4 posterior chain (deadlifts, calves, glutes etc)

But with my current set up day 3 would be very limited, would do pullovers galore for exampl as some sort of vertical pull

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
How do you split your exercises up?

Would imagine what you do earlier in the week would be different towards the end of the week?

Exercises are roughly the same but favour heavier/less volume earlier in the week then lighter/more volume later in the week.
So both lower body days I start with some sort of squat and then deadlift while upper body is bench then incline/overhead.
Accessories I pick based on what I'm trying to improve at the time.
For lower it's general conditioning/athleticism so I'm doing plyos/weighted jumps, KB circuits and nordic hamstring curls.
For upper I'm always trying to improve my tricep strength so start with extensions before moving onto rows/rear delts to offset all the pressing (this is where I might split it up and do say cable rows plus rotator cuff on one day and lat pulldowns plus face pulls on the other)

I think Arnie did the same 3 day split twice a week

Just the one day off

I just can't adapt to that much volume
You would adapt if you were on the same "supplements regime" he was.
Pretty sure his six-day workout week involved 2 hour workouts as well :oops:

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
You would adapt if you were on the same "supplements regime" he was.
Pretty sure his six-day workout week involved 2 hour workouts as well :oops:

And calves 6 days a week!
Arms on either Friday or Saturday before hitting the club scene :D

And calves 6 days a week!
Arms on either Friday or Saturday before hitting the club scene :D
He was rumoured to have cut off the end of all his tracksuit pants after his first comp where he lost due to his legs/calves. It served as a daily remonder to work his calves.

Thank god it wasn't his glutes...

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Exercises are roughly the same but favour heavier/less volume earlier in the week then lighter/more volume later in the week.
So both lower body days I start with some sort of squat and then deadlift while upper body is bench then incline/overhead.
Accessories I pick based on what I'm trying to improve at the time.
For lower it's general conditioning/athleticism so I'm doing plyos/weighted jumps, KB circuits and nordic hamstring curls.
For upper I'm always trying to improve my tricep strength so start with extensions before moving onto rows/rear delts to offset all the pressing (this is where I might split it up and do say cable rows plus rotator cuff on one day and lat pulldowns plus face pulls on the other)
Do you do close grip presses for tricep strength?

Has helped me over the years imo

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Do you do close grip presses for tricep strength?

Has helped me over the years imo

I‘d say roughly 2/3 of all my pressing is close grip.
Funnily enough in a t-shirt I comfortably bench 5-10% more close grip (index on edge of knurling) vs what people would consider a more regular grip.
In powerlifting I compete in the equipped class though, so my bench there is like 20% shoulders to control the bar path and 80% triceps to actually press it.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns

I bench three times a week, squat twice a week and deadlift twice a week. Lighter you are the easier it is to recover and I think non enhanced lifters need more volume. Genetics comes into this too. Some people respond well, some not so. Need to make sure you eat and sleep well. Check out some Sheiko and Surovesky programming - big on volume for comp lifts.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I think non enhanced lifters need more volume

imo I'd say the frequency is more important than the volume.
ie 3*10 done 3 times a week will be more beneficial than 9*10 once a week, and by the same token 4*10 done 3 times a week is quite possibly going to be more beneficial than something like 6*10 twice a week.
(basically optimal frequency for strength seems to be 3-4/week for each muscle group while there's going to be an upper limit to how much volume you can recover from in any given session)
Even something like Westside which on paper is 2 x upper 2 x lower per week - the guys at Westside are actually doing 8-12 sessions per week

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
imo I'd say the frequency is more important than the volume.
ie 3*10 done 3 times a week will be more beneficial than 9*10 once a week, and by the same token 4*10 done 3 times a week is quite possibly going to be more beneficial than something like 6*10 twice a week.
(basically optimal frequency for strength seems to be 3-4/week for each muscle group while there's going to be an upper limit to how much volume you can recover from in any given session)
Even something like Westside which on paper is 2 x upper 2 x lower per week - the guys at Westside are actually doing 8-12 sessions per week
Thought the Westside guys just live at that joint ;)

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Thought the Westside guys just live at that joint ;)

There‘s definitely been guys living either at the gym or their cars in the car park over the years.
I know AJ Roberts pretty well and he’d train before and after work during the week then the routine Saturday morning session + random Saturday nights if the guys weren’t doing anything.

Last edited:

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Not just diet related, but was interesting to hear the guy talking about what he chose to eat/priorities when it's legit survival mode

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm going to have another go at counting macros. Is there any decent free macro counter apps or websites anymore? I don't think I can afford another subscription. I used to use MyFitnessPal a little but most stuff seems to be behind a paywall these days.

Going off the 1g of protein per 1lbs of bodyweight, I weigh 80kgish, so 175ish grams of protein, leaves me near a 50/30/20 carb/protein/fat split. Looking to drop a little weight but also starting to do more weight training on top of two to three 20km mountain bike rides a week.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just posted this in the wrong thread so I'll bump this one. Has anyone found any supplements to be effective besides the standard creatine, whey etc? Anything new out there? I feel stronger and in a better mood when taking ashwaghanda, could be placebo but it seems to have some positive evidence boosting testosterone and libido, reducing cortisol etc.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
I'm going to have another go at counting macros. Is there any decent free macro counter apps or websites anymore? I don't think I can afford another subscription. I used to use MyFitnessPal a little but most stuff seems to be behind a paywall these days.

Going off the 1g of protein per 1lbs of bodyweight, I weigh 80kgish, so 175ish grams of protein, leaves me near a 50/30/20 carb/protein/fat split. Looking to drop a little weight but also starting to do more weight training on top of two to three 20km mountain bike rides a week.
I know this is a month too late but the free version of myfitnesspal works just fine, the only stuff paywalled is some of their more intricate reporting

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
20210228_195114.jpg

The man the myth the legend!!!

Geez, I've heard of this mythical beast for a few years, but never saw it before in person, only on websites

But today, on my main fortnight shop boosting my flybuys balance there it was, for $18 and by far the cheapest per 100g item on the Coles health food aisle.

Bought a tin each of strawberry and chocolate Nesquik and that'll do me for smoothies for a few weeks while I'm on struggle street. $2.25 each for the Nesquiks, $22.50 in total. In comparison BSCs were like $25 for 400g, also it was a mass gainer so only had like 8 serves per tub :$ Musashi $20 for 375g.

*yes I'd buy a 2-3-4-5kg tub/bag elsewhere at Chemist Warehouse or Thrive or something but gotta make ends meet for now

Back