Difficult Dockers - how about * you Vic Centric Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch the AFL media tone down the Freo persecution today but without any apology. Yesterday was a perfect example of why I hate the current state of 'journalism' in the AFL. They let their emotions and bias, based on almost zero information cloud their judgement of the situation. We as AFL fans can do that ourselves thanks... but whilst we are the reason AFL journalists get a pay cheque I think we should expect far more professionalism from them.

Cast your minds back to last trade period and how Lloyd (and Freo) was characterised as being completely unreasonable for wanting pick #2 for Weller. We were the loonies from the other side of the country... nek minut the trade is done in the final moments of the period and everyone is gobsmacked. No apologies by the many journos who stuck the boots in. Instead they reluctantly gave us a thumbs up... but focused more to painting Gold Coast being crazy instead.

They clearly haven't learnt from that mistake last year. No doubt Steve Rosich and Peter Bell are ruthless operators with some ego attached but both are reasonable people who would be extremely well informed before entering trade negotiations. They would be asking all the important questions like why are Melbourne wanting to offload a supposed gun in Hogan whilst in premiership mode? We have clearly done a thorough risk assessment a fair bit more detailed than "Freo really needs a gun KPF up forward, quick throw two 1st rounders at the first one willing to come to us".

I suspect this negotiation is all about determining real value with the risk factor built in. We can't be expected to pay full price if there is considerable risk attached. It sounds like the risk discount needs to be massive in this situation. I suspect Melbourne know that but understandably still want to get something that they can then use to improve their list immediately (ie May).

tl;dr - The AFL media are mostly dense. Hogan + risk != 2 first rounders. Melb and Freo are haggling over the value of that risk. Gut feel says this will still get done. We'll accept the risk but Melbourne will pay (discount) for it.

If getting a good deal is being "difficult" so be it.
Just cause Jesse is from WA, we must want to pay what Melbourne wants, so they can get Steve May.
Melbourne appear more worried about that than anything else.
Recruiting Preuss makes Gawn play more forward, plus T McDonald and Weiderman makes a crowded forward line.

They need a tall back.

Hogan is supply and they wanted to make maximum pay day.

They (the vic media) need Melbourne to win in this - ‘congrats Melbourne for bending over freo!’ ‘Melbourne pick up May, bend over brizzy!’ ‘Melbourne move to premiership contenders!’

Albeit losing their generational KPF

All the media is vic biased, and we don’t have anyone here strong enough to push back and challenge their comments

Barrett yesterday and in the past few weeks has been absolutely disgusting. No wonder freo keep things in house so much these days, they just don’t trust anyone in the media

What’s worse, come Monday it’ll ramp up to a whole new level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more they protest the more I know we are doing the right thing.

I normally allow their casual disdain for us to upset me to a degree, but having the type of vitriol vented towards us yesterday, only confirms their bias and hatred for us... and that actually comforts me.

These people are absolute bottom-feeders, with little to no integrity.

I'm loving it.

The media hate it when something goes against the narrative. Freo standing up for themselves is not in line with their expectations so we are the baddies, which makes a story and click bait.

Lets not fall for this, stand up as a club and stick to our guns.

Neale IS definately worth more than pick 5 only, and the Dees ARE chasing too much for an injured surplus forward.

Thats the facts, and no hissy fits from Dee (or VIC) centric media will change that

Fk it. They are the enemy. It is good they see us as the enemy as well. I hate the viccos let them run what they want. I rekon the bloke in the paper mill doesnt give a s**t.

If we are the baddies in their eyes that is a good thing.

McClure is one of the worst. His own opinion was ok on it, then he cha he’s it with every person he talked to. No consistency at all.

Imagine the lols and melts if Bell had some absolute belter behind the scenes he was working on. Somehow lands Lobb and Coniglio or something (not happening at all, but would be so funny)

...Imagine the lols and melts if Bell had some absolute belter behind the scenes he was working on. Somehow lands Lobb and Coniglio or something (not happening at all, but would be so funny)

Would need alot of these...

images

McClure is one of the worst. His own opinion was ok on it, then he cha he’s it with every person he talked to. No consistency at all.

Imagine the lols and melts if Bell had some absolute belter behind the scenes he was working on. Somehow lands Lobb and Coniglio or something (not happening at all, but would be so funny)
He’s the one that came out and said Freo should just offer pick 10(11) on its own and say take it or leave it. We did exactly that and then he comes out criticising us for low balling 24 hours after. Flog!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we actually come out of this with a good outcome all will be forgiven - my worry is that we won't.

But I keep thinking that we're playing hardball because we have no idea what we're doing. If we end up holding a player who doesn't want to play for us in Neale and failing to get the Lobb deal done it'll be a disastrous outcome.

Good teams get deals done with a minimum of fuss, and right now we're not doing that.

If we actually come out of this with a good outcome all will be forgiven - my worry is that we won't.

But I keep thinking that we're playing hardball because we have no idea what we're doing. If we end up holding a player who doesn't want to play for us in Neale and failing to get the Lobb deal done it'll be a disastrous outcome.

Good teams get deals done with a minimum of fuss, and right now we're not doing that.
So would you trade Neale for just pick 5?

Why would we do a deal that we feel does not benefit us, just so that we do one? Truth be told, he reason this is all playing out in the media with fuss is because of Melbourne leaking like a gigantic sieve. There’s hardly been a peep out of our side until we declared we were walking away from Hogan yesterday. Why should we let outsiders and media flogs dictate how we manage our draft and trading? They make noise and bang on about how stupid we are being, but the reality is that they probably have as much information to base that opinion on as we do.

As for the Neale deal, why should we not try to extract as much value as we can for him? He’s contracted and it wasn’t our idea to trade him. He’s a two-time best and fairest winner who we want to keep. Should we just take what we are offfered just to be nice?

Good teams get reasonable deals done with a minimum of fuss, as a mutually beneficial trade is the result. Good teams don't get bent over, so it is convenient for other clubs.
Melbourne's bigest winge is they want to get Jesse out, to bring in May and can't do what they want.
What is the point of doing due diligence, if you proceed anyway?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back