Digipaks are s**t

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Cardboard is not hard-wearing, edges get worn, marks from spillages etc are permanent. Sometimes come in a plastic slip which damages the digipak further when removing/inserting. CD's are frequently difficult to extract and the discs typically suffer scratching in the process. Digipaks encourage ripping in order to avoid damage, and ripped files have a habit of being distributed.

I'll pay another dollar for a decent jewel case FFS. Rant over.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Meh, I don't see any reason to buy a jewel case CD at all these days. I'd rather just buy a FLAC version or something. Digipacks sometimes have decent artwork which is worth checking out.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Meh, I don't see any reason to buy a jewel case CD at all these days. I'd rather just buy a FLAC version or something. Digipacks sometimes have decent artwork which is worth checking out.

Many will argue that CD's detract from the experience of owning music in comparison to vinyl. You'd put the record on, marvel at the cover art, flip it over and read the liner notes, then read the gatefold/sleeve notes if applicable. The artwork often goes under-appreciated in miniature on CD, even if the liner notes are usually present. Electronic storage and streaming take that diminished experience to an extreme.

My music all gets converted to .flac anyway and is played via Roon. It's a slightly different experience which compensates to an extent for the absence of the covers. In combination with a Tidal subscription, you can get lost for hours just browsing the different musical connections to an album.

Besides, it's a simple pleasure to cast your eye over your music collection stored in an orderly manner, and to be able to show it off to guests.

Then there are the rarities simply not available to purchase electronically. Maybe it's a psychological or generational thing, as given a choice between a hard copy of a book/magazine/newspaper and a cheaper electronic equivalent, I'll opt for the hard copy most of the time.

The cardboard on some 90's digipak releases was of particularly poor quality and it's difficult to find some of these in good condition. Sometimes the online vendors cheat by cropping the edges of the photo to hide the damage, but I pretty much put a line through those items.

Jewel cases I'm less fussed about as I've got most of my CD's in high quality Allsop Strong Box cases.

Last edited:

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
I much prefer the digipak over the jewel case.

They allow for more interesting artwork and don't break if dropped from anything more than 30cm above the floor.

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
don't break if dropped from anything more than 30cm above the floor.

x1630056d_d.jpg
x1630056c_d.jpg

Allsop Strong Box

Back