Digital Health Record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
So, we are entering the brave new world of our health records being collated and available to our health professionals simply by logging on.
But there are serious concerns about the security of the records.
You can of course opt out, but you must do this before the 15th October.
So put your thinking hat, or tin foil hat, on and make your decision.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/my-health-record-opt-out-period-begins-what-you-need-to-know

Nobody has solved the issue of unauthorised access, blockchain notiwthstanding.

The bigger issue for me is authorised access. We have a government that, in order to further a political fight, released private information of Centrelink recipients to a newspaper. Prove to me if I end up in a fight with the Government that my records wont be disclosed to someone I dont want. You can't.

Saw that today and opted out immediately
Checked it out and it asked for medicare number and or licence/passport number.

Was that information already there? How?

Concerns me as those items equal to points required to apply for a number of things.

There's an informative piece in The Conversation.

The bigger issue for me is authorised access. We have a government that, in order to further a political fight, released private information of Centrelink recipients to a newspaper. Prove to me if I end up in a fight with the Government that my records wont be disclosed to someone I dont want. You can't.

Who ever Pays can get the Info

3 days left to opt-out.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...vice-on-my-health-record-20190127-p50ty5.html

Patients have complained anecdotally of discrepancies in hospital medical records, with one woman telling the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age of her battle to correct the file of her elderly father, which had recorded "operations that never happened" while neglecting to list crucial diagnoses.

So....what good is a system that doesn’t record your diagnosis?

Dr Moy said the My Health Record was never intended to be a perfect or completely reliable record of a patient's history.

What tha??? So we are spending billions on a system that isn’t a reliable? That in an emergency is just as likely to tell the emergency department that you are blood type A when your actually B?

What a shambles.[/quote]

Gotta be honest, for me the benefits outweigh the percieved risks.

It would have been very handy for me to have had this system up and running a few months ago, and to be brutally honest, I don't care who has access to my medical records, they can know when I urinate, what colour it is and how strongs the stream as far as I'm concerned, but when I'm transported to hospital in a semi coherant state, it'd be better if they knew what meds I was on, rather than relying on me to tell them.

It would have been very handy for me to have had this system up and running a few months ago, and to be brutally honest, I don't care who has access to my medical records, they can know when I urinate, what colour it is and how strongs the stream as far as I'm concerned, but when I'm transported to hospital in a semi coherant state, it'd be better if they knew what meds I was on, rather than relying on me to tell them.

https://www.medicalert.org.au/products

I have said previously that I used to support such a system.
But this is not the system I can support.
The holes in the electronic side of things are the problem. There is a massive issue with getting the hospitals, the ambulance services, the GP’s, the chemists etc electronic systems to “talk” to each other.
I have been going to Wangaratta for my MRi’s As they “talk” to StVincents.
This time I’m going local but this hospital doesn’t “talk” to StVincents.
So I’ll take my scans to my appointment on a disc.
This is 2019 and my local public hospital still doesn’t electronically talk to my other public hospital.
Any wonder I don’t have faith in the Digital Health Record.

Last edited:

IF They want to get your Info. They Will anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.medicalert.org.au/products

I have said previously that I used to support such a system.
But this is not the system I can support.
The holes in the electronic side of things are the problem. There is a massive issue with getting the hospitals, the ambulance services, the GP’s, the chemists etc electronic systems to “talk” to each other.
I have been going to Wangaratta for my MRi’s As they “talk” to StVincents.
This time I’m going local but this hospital doesn’t “talk” to StVincents.
So I’ll take my scans to my appointment on a disc.
This is 2019 and my local public hospital still doesn’t electronically talk to my other public hospital.
Any wonder I don’t have faith in the Digital Health Record.
Sure, there's going to be issues with keeping the records current and disseminated to the relevant people initially but I'm confident that the digital version of my medication chart will be far more informative to the Ambo's and ED staff than my incoherent ramblings when admitted suffering from keto acidosis or worse.

It's easy to find fault, and yes there are faults, but in the balance, I'm happier to trust my medical information to the digital health record rather than taking a box of meds and a scrap of paper to the ED next time I need help.

Sure, there's going to be issues with keeping the records current and disseminated to the relevant people initially but I'm confident that the digital version of my medication chart will be far more informative to the Ambo's and ED staff than my incoherent ramblings when admitted suffering from keto acidosis or worse.

It's easy to find fault, and yes there are faults, but in the balance, I'm happier to trust my medical information to the digital health record rather than taking a box of meds and a scrap of paper to the ED next time I need help.
No problem.
You are certainly in the small percentage of the population that require such a system as your medical backup.
And I really hope that the system will work for you. That no underpaid, overworked health worker enters the wrong information into your record.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/data-mistakes-see-wrong-medical-details-entered-into-my-health-records

I’m hoping that you have the ability to oversee your own record and correct mistakes.
Not sure if you can.

I have opted out but since you are happy to opt in, make sure you check the part where if someone does access your file that you get a notification.

Too true, you should also go and bury all your money in your backyard, you can't trust the banks or their electronic system. I hope you don't have a license, don't you know all that information is stored online and can be sold or stolen? What if someone at Vicroads(Or the Government) wants to spill your details to someone you don't want to know... Disaster.

A digital health record can streamline our entire health system and save not only an insane amount of time but also save lives, it's the future and there's no stopping it.

Too true, you should also go and bury all your money in your backyard, you can't trust the banks or their electronic system. I hope you don't have a license, don't you know all that information is stored online and can be sold or stolen? What if someone at Vicroads(Or the Government) wants to spill your details to someone you don't want to know... Disaster.

A digital health record can streamline our entire health system and save not only an insane amount of time but also save lives, it's the future and there's no stopping it.
You mean all those things you mention haven't been illegally accessed before?:eek:

My main objection is who has and will be given access to those records in the future (do you really think they will get our permission first?).

Hackers will always be ahead of governments but more concerning is who will have legal access. Insurers, Drug companies, Police etc etc. Why?

You mean all those things you mention haven't been illegally accessed before?:eek:

My main objection is who has and will be given access to those records in the future (do you really think they will get our permission first?).

Hackers will always be ahead of governments but more concerning is who will have legal access. Insurers, Drug companies, Police etc etc. Why?

Of course they have, nothing is ever completely safe, online or hard copy.

I think it would be brilliant if Police could access the medical history of someone they are going to arrest or have pulled over in a car, could save their lives or give them valuable information to help defuse a situation. Let's say worst case scenario that the Government sell your health records to a drug company, what would happen that's so terrible? You would definitely be able to sue and win compensation, how would you be negatively effected? i think the chance of your individual records being sold are extremely slime... Most big companies won't even think of this obviously illegal and customer betrayal path if they value having a business at all.

Every time new technology comes out people always wring their hands and think "what if", same thing happened with electronic banking and now it's virtually the only way people bank and everyone loves it... Notice any similarities ?

I know some people who work in hospitals and they cannot wait for this system, countless hours will be saved allowing them to better care for patients and reduce their stress and workload

Of course they have, nothing is ever completely safe, online or hard copy.

I think it would be brilliant if Police could access the medical history of someone they are going to arrest or have pulled over in a car, could save their lives or give them valuable information to help defuse a situation. Let's say worst case scenario that the Government sell your health records to a drug company, what would happen that's so terrible? You would definitely be able to sue and win compensation, how would you be negatively effected? i think the chance of your individual records being sold are extremely slime... Most big companies won't even think of this obviously illegal and customer betrayal path if they value having a business at all.

Every time new technology comes out people always wring their hands and think "what if", same thing happened with electronic banking and now it's virtually the only way people bank and everyone loves it... Notice any similarities ?

I know some people who work in hospitals and they cannot wait for this system, countless hours will be saved allowing them to better care for patients and reduce their stress and workload
Okay, I was just saying. Not a problem for me as I have opted out.

Isn’t this the future?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03...ystem-punishes-untrustworthy-citizens/9596204
And there is no stopping it. Well not if your happy to have zero oversight on such small things as a digital health record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back