Injury/Rehab Dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne City & Tottenham
I'm 14 and a not a bad player if I might say. Anyway I was selected for interleague and I have a strong feeling the coach may pick me due to my height. However, on Sunday I was bumped as I kicked the ball out of the back line and fell on my wrist. It bloody hurt. I still played on the game but didnt get any knocks. Went in to get it checked and the doctor said there was no problems. Yet when walking home today I get the call that she was in fact incorrect and I have a hairline fracture in my right wrist.

Interleague is in 3 weeks. The plaster would need to be on for 4 weeks. This is the first year I have made it and the first year that it's serious, with TAC Cup scouts coming and having a look at you. I havent made a great start this season and if I'm out for 4 weeks it will be bloody hard to make interleague next year due to no games or good games for the club.

I sort of resigned myself to not being able to play AFL a few years ago but with this interleague stuff I'm keeping a thin hope of playing TAC Cup in the future and maybe going one step further if good enough.

What should I do? Should I get plaster on now and not play for 4 weeks which includes interleague or risk it and maybe have bad bones in my wrist and surgery in the future but still play interleague? It's not really the club games I'm concerned about, I can miss them if need be

Put the cast on.
If you are good enough to make it later on you will.
The Under 14s rep sides rarely replicate the Under 18s rep sides.

I ended up getting it plastered, could be a bit more serious. Doctor threatened me with never playing sport again if I didn't get it done...

I had the exact same injury and the exact same mistake occurred. Unfortunately the call I received came a week after the incident and therefore the doctor decided to do nothing.. I taped it up and kept playing but it took a good 10 odd weeks for the pain/irritation to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back