Opinion Dimma and the Media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched that press conference again at Punt rd? On the RFC website and was thinking how far Dimma has developed in dealing with the media in a positive way. Certainly when he gave his first few media/public addresses I could see and hear his discomfort, but full credit to him in the way he goes about it these days. He doesn't (I don't think) try to lay on the B.S. There is a genuine honesty about him but by the same token he doesn't allow the media to dictate terms either and isn't afraid to have a joke with them . Good stuff from Dimma and other coaches too :thumbsu:

What do the rest of you all think ?

Believe it or not, but I'd say Dimma is just as much a spin artist as Wallace. Not that I care. I mean, why would any coach want to reveal their secrets to the world, just to appease media clowns?

The difference is he comes across as being a lot more down to earth, keeps it simple, and is never smug. The media seem to think butter wouldn't melt in Dimma's mouth, so he rarely gets given a tough time.

The fact remains that, it doesn't matter if you lie to the media and just tell them what they and the masses want to hear, if you know you are doing everything right behind the scenes, and eventually win games, you will get away with it.

Still seems a little awkward in front of the camera to me

I agree...i reckon he's still finding the right balance between being a professional coach {serious face} and engaging with the media/public { approachable face}
Then again he can be as awkward as he wants once he wins us a few Premierships...
I like the fact he's not afraid to stir up his own players up in the media as well...he comes across as an all right bloke...
I also think...from the times i have seen him on television...he'd be a terrific team mate...
And that can only be a good thing when your helping to rebuild a clubs fortunes...
I reckon its a fine line to walk at times as an AFL coach i dont envy them...one minute approachable, social...the next cracking the whip...
Having to keep your emotions in check for fear of being seen as unprofessional unsuitable...especially after a loss...a big one...must get mighty lonely then...
Cynics would say for coaches and teams its all about winning...success...Premierships...nothing more...and at the end of the day i suppose thats whats its all about...
But gee I 'd like to think their's a little more to it than that for a coach...an engaging personality that the general public can respond to...young players can respond to...sponsers...coteries...keeping spirits high after a loss...
Why cant we have both...an engaging well spoken smart witty coach that is also capable of winning Premierships...

He gives the impression of being honest and down to earth, but he still gives cliched (???) answers and doesn't seem to give too much away. I don't know how he does this. Like, a reporter will ask a question and he will respond but not actually answer the question, and the reporters don't press the issue.

I enjoy the Direct From Dimma videos because it's like I'm sitting in his office and he's talking to me directly, but as time goes on I didn't feel there was much content, or that he was saying anything that I didn't already know.

I'm not bagging him, he's an AFL coach after all and needs to keep the good s**t for behind closed doors.
I just think he could make a bit more of an effort to ring me after the game to have a chat about stuff and things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He gives the impression of being honest and down to earth, but he still gives cliched (???) answers and doesn't seem to give too much away. I don't know how he does this. Like, a reporter will ask a question and he will respond but not actually answer the question, and the reporters don't press the issue.

I enjoy the Direct From Dimma videos because it's like I'm sitting in his office and he's talking to me directly, but as time goes on I didn't feel there was much content, or that he was saying anything that I didn't already know.

I'm not bagging him, he's an AFL coach after all and needs to keep the good s**t for behind closed doors.
I just think he could make a bit more of an effort to ring me after the game to have a chat about stuff and things.

Fair call, your right he does do that at times.

Yeh, I hear ya ! :D

When was that one? Yeah I must have missed that one, I haven't seen the footage.

He loves that response to any reports or likely MRP cases.

Look, I think he would be reasonably happy.

Obviously, there are still some little things he still needs to work on so he will go back, review the tape and we move on.

His job is to sell the Club, be engaging, friendly and give the footy world at large something to print or video.
At the same time he cannot give away any secrets, any indication of what's required internally, our own kpi's or any issues that might affect the upcoming game.
He can't bag the AFL, the umpires, the opposition or the draw.
I reckon he achieves all that and is respected for it. Clearly there are times when he doesn't want to answer or is uncomfortable and so slips back to a pre arranged spiel. Call that spin if you like, I call it protecting the Tiges.
Doing a great job imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back