DIMMA!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dimma isn't the finished article yet.

I can remember when he first took the helm, he was almost media shy in interviews but watch him now and he speaks with more confidence and self belief.

Similarly, I think his coaching is getting better each year as well - remember, this is his first senior gig, he's probably learning and trying to improve as much as his players are all the time.

So far, I think he has done extremely well - yes there is room for improvement but we are definitely on the right track. I think we will start winning more close/crunch games with more experience and maturity. Hopefully we don't need to see any come from behind wins...because we have led all game! ;)

Not ideal for sure but I think the whole performance was a good eye opener for the team to have.

Dimma's job is to prepare the team to win the game so he should cop some of the blame but I think a lot of it rests with the players and also the rest of the game day staff who didn't seem to fully prepare us for the game - After about 5mins, you could tell it would be a real hard slog as we had so many players slipping and sliding and making basic skill errors.

Straight away, I was wondering where the long studded boots and gloves were - both times we lost in Cairns I think were largely due to not handling the conditions well enough and we finally addressed that last year (when nearly every player had gloves on, the team flew up early to try and climatise etc). After QT, we saw most of the rebounding types (Martin, Ellis) with gloves but not the rest of the team.

Ah well, look on the bright side - that is one of the tougher away games we will play this year out of the way and we won't be the first team to lose up there. Carlton, Sydney and Collingwood losing also helped take the sting out of it :D

1 game in and Dimma is under the pump and under pressure here and in the media.
Now we see if he can respond. If he can't? well he has another 3 years of security. Mentioning players in the presser was a bad look IMO.

I actually think naming players is the first step to losing the players..... it might start as a small crack but eventually it divides the playing group. One of the major reasons Frawley lost the players was he starting to get too personal blaming players specifically for losses. ....... Then stating that certain players are second tier... that's pretty bad .... very bad.. I'm hoping that this was just Dimma with foot and mouth disease but publically stating that he puts players in different categories and rates them differently is not something a good coach would do IMO.... not a good start to his pressers.

I actually think naming players is the first step to losing the players..... it might start as a small crack but eventually it divides the playing group. One of the major reasons Frawley lost the players was he starting to get too personal blaming players specifically for losses. ....... Then stating that certain players are second tier... that's pretty bad .... very bad.. I'm hoping that this was just Dimma with foot and mouth disease but publically stating that he puts players in different categories and rates them differently is not something a good coach would do IMO.... not a good start to his pressers.
Not to mention poor Conca who at least busted a gut and laid 8 tackles. Don't we give out medals when players get 3 in a game? Also as much as Vickery deserved a kick up the arse, how would Griff feel getting subbed before Ty?

Nah disagree. They would have got a caning behind closed doors, so if anything that would be more a lever for any so called fracture and possible disenchantment. Imo I thought what DH said was quite tame.

Yeah I thought our structures (esp. F50) were terrible, playing Jack as a decoy/Martin down back didnt work, naming players was diverting from the main issues of the day imo, and not a good look from Dimma.

We don't recruit players that will have a sook because they are, mildly at that, criticised by the coach. Dimma knows the quality of Conca & Ellis, as fine young men, that he knows they'll respond in the right manner.
Those who believe Conca & Ellis will respond negatively are actually questioning their character IMO.

Nah disagree. They would have got a caning behind closed doors, so if anything that would be more a lever for any so called fracture and possible disenchantment. Imo I thought what DH said was quite tame.

Even behind closed doors ... It just doesn't work. Both Conca and Ellis tried ..

Even behind closed doors ... It just doesn't work. Both Conca and Ellis tried ..
Not saying they didn't try at all, just think the theory that a public slap by a coach tips a player over the edge, and will think about leaving is somehow different than a private slap behind closed doors. If a player feels victimised, it wont make a difference imo.

I actually think its the first big step to the exit door. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop singling out players to the public. Single out what parts of the game the team did no perform in.
Stop saying where players are going to play before the match. GC knew Thomas was going to tag Ablett 5 weeks prior. Just stupid.
Start Jack as a goal kicking forward. If he is double teamed then kick to someone else. If he's a decoy then he's not going to be double teamed and not kicked to either when he is 1 on 1.
Start Dustin on ball. If he gasses it then put him at HB.

For me these things are so obvious.

Edits are always interesting and the stats proved telling. Loose ball gets in F50 and D50 were horrible and coupled with the inability to capitalise on clearances, we had no chance.
Hopefully they have worked out why these numbers fell like they did.
Were we not switched on? Surely not.
Did the forwards run to the wrong spots? Disposal from clearances went where? Poor kicks or wrong option?
I thought that F50 entries were misdirected, especially late when it seemed we kicked long to big packs. GCS on the other hand kicked to one on ones or ground balls into space.
Anyway, very disappointing but not the end of the world, although next week takes on massive significance, 0-2 or back square.
Go TIges

Thought it fun to bring back and old Dimma thread..

Anyone know what the great man is doing during his break? Doesn't he normally attend some type of course and the assistants take the helm first week or two back from Xmas break.?
He's packing the boardies and towel for the Gold Coast trip and planning which beaches to hit up.

He's not fighting the fires? s**t bloke ;)

No. He has been tasked to raise community spirits by preparing the most supported team in the country to an undefeated season in 2020. Coaches from nugatory clubs have been sent to the front due to the fact any success they may have would not have similar positive community outcomes, and their chance of success is minimal in any event. So the beach training and Showgirls meeting(s) are all systems go.

-note: sarcasm mode is turned to high - condolences and thoughts to anyone impacted by these frightening and devastating fires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back