Traded Dion Prestia [traded to Richmond with pick 24 for pick 6 and 2017 second rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

It started off with you saying they won't need 44, now your just going on and on about the 1,000 scenarios. Whether or not Carlton can get some good first round picks, I'd be surprized if they didn't stuff them up. They have good form. Suns can do pick swaps with other clubs, including Essendon.

Huh? I was answering a question.

Wow, massive win for Gold Coast. I expect they'll start from scratch at this point, they basically botched their initial list build and Ablett's pretty much finished. They've still got a lot of fantastic youth in that low-20's bracket to become their senior core in 3-4 years.

As for Richmond, well... they're still topping up with established players. Going to make it very hard for themselves for the inevitable rebuild if they continue to wallow in that 6-14 bracket of the ladder and keep trading out first rounders rather than take 18 year olds with a full career ahead of them. Unusual draft to give up that pick, considering how even the top 10 is. o_O

Can't help but feel that securing Prestia at "whatever the cost" was more a case of wounded pride over Treloar's snub than sensible list (and salary cap) management.

Huh? I was answering a question.
No you're speculating what might happen. There are 1,000 scenarios, in your scenarios Blues are making out like bandits whilst we get a fifth rounder for Witts. It's almost trolling.

Seems a fair deal for the player. Might be lacking vision in Richmond's part, but they got their man! Hawks take note...

McLuggage is going to the Dons at 1. McGrath to GWS at 2 and SPS to the Lions at 3. English to Freo at 7.

Picks 4, 5 and 6 to GCS lets them take 3 x best available and match a bid against Bowes that likely wont come in till the teens (assuming Carlton agree not to bid on him at 8 or 10).

Bowes is touted as top 3 on talent by some, and likely top 5 or so. It would be a massive win for them.

We can work into the deal an assurance that the Suns let a player though to us at 8 that we really want as well.

It's a win/ win.
Makes absolute sense but I'm sure I remember the AFL last year threatening draft tampering sanctions on a few clubs who were rumoured to be forming similar gentleman's agreements. Personally I think you should be able to have that type of agreement in place - even if it means you need to include it in the public announcement of the trade.

Wow, massive win for Gold Coast. I expect they'll start from scratch at this point, they basically botched their initial list build and Ablett's pretty much finished. They've still got a lot of fantastic youth in that low-20's bracket to become their senior core in 3-4 years.

As for Richmond, well... they're still topping up with established players. Going to make it very hard for themselves for the inevitable rebuild if they continue to wallow in that 6-14 bracket of the ladder and keep trading out first rounders rather than take 18 year olds with a full career ahead of them. Unusual draft to give up that pick, considering how even the top 10 is. o_O

Can't help but feel that securing Prestia at "whatever the cost" was more a case of wounded pride over Treloar's snub than sensible list (and salary cap) management.

This is the first time we have traded a first rounder in Hardwicks reign.. and he just turned 24, he is a star.

Prestia (who just turned 24 a couple of weeks ago), not sure he is exactly a top up? Potentially still has 6-10 full seasons left in his career and is a proven player, whereas 6 could well be our next Reece Conca. I'm not the biggest fan of the deal because I rate this draft, but with Prestia we know we are getting a good player.

This is the first time we have traded a first rounder in Hardwicks reign.. and he just turned 24, he is a star.
Interesting, always had the impression you traded away a lot more of your picks for established players. Maybe I'm thinking of second rounders. I thought you gave up 15 for Yarran for some reason.

Prestia (who just turned 24 a couple of weeks ago), not sure he is exactly a top up? Potentially still has 6-10 full seasons left in his career and is a proven player, whereas 6 could well be our next Reece Conca. I'm not the biggest fan of the deal because I rate this draft, but with Prestia we know we are getting a good player.
Well he has a lot of good seasons left absolutely, but it's still going to be half that of an 18 year old.

I guess it depends on where Richmond sees their list, and how they define topping-up. Generally you'd want to feel your premiership window is within the next 3-4 years if you're taking a 24 year old for pick 6. If you can't make it within the next 4 years then all of a sudden Prestia is 28 when you head back to the draft for kids (who then take 2-3 years to reach their potential).

On the flipside, pick 6 in the draft could easily be a dud, so maybe they feel Prestia is the safer option. The draft is a lottery in itself (I don't think I'll ever get over Toumpas at pick 4).

McLuggage is going to the Dons at 1. McGrath to GWS at 2 and SPS to the Lions at 3. English to Freo at 7.

Picks 4, 5 and 6 to GCS lets them take 3 x best available and match a bid against Bowes that likely wont come in till the teens (assuming Carlton agree not to bid on him at 8 or 10).

Bowes is touted as top 3 on talent by some, and likely top 5 or so. It would be a massive win for them.

We can work into the deal an assurance that the Suns let a player though to us at 8 that we really want as well.

It's a win/ win.

Out of curiosity who are you chasing at 8 - 10, reason I ask in because Bond has said were are targeting best available @ #7 not necessarily a WA product

And TBH he has a history og doing the opposite of the general consensus,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of curiosity who are you chasing at 8 - 10, reason I ask in because Bond has said were are targeting best available @ #7 not necessarily a WA product

And TBH he has a history og doing the opposite of the general consensus,

I wouldve thought English was a good fit for you blokes in any event with Sandi on the way out.

For us, I reckon Brodie goes at 4 to GCS (they want ready made mids) as a direct swap for Prestia.

Leaves us with Taranto or Ainsworth. Venebles has a bit of love as well but would be a massive reach, and should be there at 13 (assuming we get that for Gibbs).

Reckon with 8, 10 and 13 we could grab all three. Wouldnt mind Marshall, Battle or Kerr at 13 as well should they still be around.

Mate, just checking in on you as a welfare thing. RUOK?

I'm feeling as good as you probably were when your club gave big deals to wells and Mayne

Crack must be cheap down our way this week :p

I wouldve thought English was a good fit for you blokes in any event with Sandi on the way out.

For us, I reckon Brodie goes at 4 to GCS (they want ready made mids) as a direct swap for Prestia.

Leaves us with Taranto or Ainsworth. Venebles has a bit of love as well but would be a massive reach, and should be there at 13 (assuming we get that for Gibbs).

Reckon with 8, 10 and 13 we could grab all three. Wouldnt mind Marshall, Battle or Kerr at 13 as well should they still be around.

Most of us are cool with English and I think Bondy was being coy with his statements, if by a miracle SPS slides I imagine we are there, some want Taranto others G Logue although most agree he will be a bit later.

I'm of the opinion 7 is very generous for a ruck, but would back the pro's in if we pick him up then.

Will be very interesting who the interstate teams pick up before our pick, with all the WA boys nominating to come home to WA this trade period.

Interesting, always had the impression you traded away a lot more of your picks for established players. Maybe I'm thinking of second rounders. I thought you gave up 15 for Yarran for some reason.

Yes and no....Yes, we traded a first for Yarran, but that was a pick we traded in, so we kept 'our' first.

So yes, we've traded out *A* first rounder before, but this is the first time we've traded out *our* first rounder.

We have traded out a number of 2nds/3rds over the journey (indeed, Yarrans pick was received as a swap for for 2 2nds).

Richmond are finished as an entity, they are no longer a going concern based on their list

Their isn't, we gave up 24 and will likely get 24 or lower back next year so that equals pick 6 or perhaps a little bit more

Future picks are lower value...If you had pick 20 this year, would you trade it for pick 20 next year?

As for Richmond's 2nd being 24 or lower next year....So we traded in this guy whose tires you've been pumping up for a week, and you think we'll go backwards as a result....

Richmond are finished as an entity, they are no longer a going concern based on their list

We look forward to your departure then.

Please!

Well he has a lot of good seasons left absolutely, but it's still going to be half that of an 18 year old.

I guess it depends on where Richmond sees their list, and how they define topping-up. Generally you'd want to feel your premiership window is within the next 3-4 years if you're taking a 24 year old for pick 6. If you can't make it within the next 4 years then all of a sudden Prestia is 28 when you head back to the draft for kids (who then take 2-3 years to reach their potential).

On the flipside, pick 6 in the draft could easily be a dud, so maybe they feel Prestia is the safer option. The draft is a lottery in itself (I don't think I'll ever get over Toumpas at pick 4).
Every club has first round blunders, in some cases it might be better to take the proven commodity. Now I don't necessarily agree with it right now, but happy to see how Prestia goes, whoever GC take with 6, that player may not have been our target anyway, so we will never really know. All we can do is hope Prestia and whoever we get with the second rounder give us combined good value over the next 5-10 years.

I'm feeling as good as you probably were when your club gave big deals to wells and Mayne

Crack must be cheap down our way this week :p
Yeah, there's been some interesting ones. The combination of events that has seen all of our KPDs, bar two (one injury prone, the other returning from a two year drug suspension), hit the eject button on the club within a week has actually concerned me more than either Wells or Mayne.

Don't think you took it amiss but my question, while tongue in cheek, wasn't trolling. You've been notable in terms of how strongly and persuasively you've argued against "6 for Prestia" and when I heard the deal my first thought was "that guy with the Flanders-as-Satan profile pic is going to be pissed!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back