Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Who do you think is a better player?

I asked my brother who is a Doggies supporter "what do you think of Dion Prestia's season?" and he said he reminds me of Dylan Shiel sort of on that level and it got me thinking these guys are awfully similar in numbers even height and build that short stocky type.

Who do you think is a better player?

I asked my brother who is a Doggies supporter "what do you think of Dion Prestia's season?" and he said he reminds me of Dylan Shiel sort of on that level and it got me thinking these guys are awfully similar in numbers even height and build that short stocky type.

Didn’t actually realise how similar they were stats wise until I compared them on the afl app

Love meatball personally haven’t watched a huge amount of Essendon games to give a proper comparison myself

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Didn’t actually realise how similar they were stats wise until I compared them on the afl app

Love meatball personally haven’t watched a huge amount of Essendon games to give a proper comparison myself
Both have had very similar careers both have never won a B&F award but both would have been close Dion big chance this year. I watched Shiel fairly closely at the GWS we were linked to him a couple of times, I think he is having an okay pretty decent year at Essendon but he has had better years at GWS, Prestia obviously having a career best season at this stage.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
This has been Dion's best year in Tiger colours by far. Really happy with his impact this season, easily top 2 in the best and fairest.

I've always rated Shiel even as a Giant. He's done well at the Bombers and has a lot of good footy left.

Honestly I don't think there's a lot between them.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
if you had asked me before they moved to vic i'd have said shiel. This year prestia gone past him though...

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Pretty different players.

Shiel more of a game breaker that can turn a game on it's head but after watching most Richmond games this year Prestia just doesn't really have a bad game, heck he doesn't even really have a quite parts of games and i rate that really highly.

Would have Prestia ahead as a player at the moment but Shiel still has more runs on the board over his career.

Prestia was more prominent at Gold Coast, clearly being the number 2 behind Ablett whilst Swallow and Bennell were there.
Went to Richmond and is clearly behind Martin and Cotchin same level as Edwards and co so he hasn’t gone up a level yet; even though he won a flag.

Shiel was part of the Kelly and Coniglio midfield that was A grade and always ranked highly from afar.
Since moving to Melbourne it’s been highlighted just how bad a kick of the footy he is.

Prestia for mine and for also getting the job done in a final.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Shiel was part of the Kelly and Coniglio midfield that was A grade and always ranked highly from afar.
Since moving to Melbourne it’s been highlighted just how bad a kick of the footy he is.

Prestia's not a great kick. His first year at Richmond (2017), the Tigers board was alight every time he shanked one. 'Pick 6 for That?!??!?!?!'.

Prestia's not a great kick. His first year at Richmond (2017), the Tigers board was alight every time he shanked one. 'Pick 6 for That?!??!?!?!'.

I don’t mind his field kicking but it was always his set shots that were shocking

Had kicked some great goals on the run this year and also been more reliable with set shots

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Prestia by a street this season, been immense
Yep he had the better season no doubt, but i think Shiel in our team he would be better too playing with Dusty, Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert & Graham.

Yep he had the better season no doubt, but i think Shiel in our team he would be better too playing with Dusty, Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert & Graham.

offensively, yes

but dions biggest strength is his two way running, that plays a massive part in allowing dusty to roam around

shiel wouldnt allow that

Back