Diplomacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Great article about a guy's experience at a Diplomacy tournament, and reflections on the game itself.

http://grantland.com/features/diplomacy-the-board-game-of-the-alpha-nerds/

I used to play this with mates years ago. Was never great at it, and we rarely had a full compliment, but still had fun playing.

A very interesting read, thanks for the link.

I've played a bit over the years but I have to say, those tournament guys take it waaaay too seriously. 6 mates, some pizza and beer, and a whole day set aside is all good fun.

Pity you rarely had a full complement. I think the dynamic's wrong if you don't have the full 7 players.

Strange. It is a game of pure negotiation, which the stereotypical game nerd abhors because social skills are not a valued commodity. I played once as part of a history class exercise. Did great (as Germany) initially - then everyone bashed the leader.

Edit: Well written article, good read. I'm definitely in the 9/10 gamers that hate the game. I saw an old AH printing of it in the Salvos and passed...

Last edited:
Oh the tales I could tell.

My brother and I once published a Dip zine for PBM games, attended tournaments and so on. The larks!

I even designed that logo, back when I thought I was "good with Corel Draw":
http://daanz.org/

Great article about a guy's experience at a Diplomacy tournament, and reflections on the game itself.

http://grantland.com/features/diplomacy-the-board-game-of-the-alpha-nerds/

I used to play this with mates years ago. Was never great at it, and we rarely had a full compliment, but still had fun playing.
Love Grantland but rueing Bill Simmons' departure.

I Remember reading the link when published and wanted to get into it but would have no idea how as my mates don't play board games.

Love Grantland but rueing Bill Simmons' departure.

I Remember reading the link when published and wanted to get into it but would have no idea how as my mates don't play board games.
I can put you in touch with the Melbourne Diplomacy Group - they have monthly games days and have been going for... over a decade?

Great game. The secret is not to take it too seriously.
Crazy talk! One of my greatest achievements in life was winning a teachers game of Diplomacy at work playing AustroHungaria. We had a cycle per lunch time and spent most of our working days chasing each other around between and sometimes during classes. I published a daily newsletter written from the perspective of AustroHungaria and reflecting my spin on the state of the game. Much fun.

Jedko's Russian Campaign would have to be my all time favourite game though.

Crazy talk! One of my greatest achievements in life was winning a teachers game of Diplomacy at work playing AustroHungaria.

Wow! ;)

We had a cycle per lunch time and spent most of our working days chasing each other around between and sometimes during classes. I published a daily newsletter written from the perspective of AustroHungaria and reflecting my spin on the state of the game. Much fun.

Sure is. Especially over a few drinks. ;)

Jedko's Russian Campaign would have to be my all time favourite game though.

Seen it played, but never played a game myself.

Seen it played, but never played a game myself.

Jedko's Russian Campaign is a great game. Sadly I lost mine when I left it somewhere at a school I was teaching at in 1990. I'd love to know where I could get hold of one today. Two person game, but you can play a solitaire game and it is quite entertaining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jedko's Russian Campaign is a great game. Sadly I lost mine when I left it somewhere at a school I was teaching at in 1990. I'd love to know where I could get hold of one today. Two person game, but you can play a solitaire game and it is quite entertaining.

The 5th edition is due out early next year through consim press, but distributed by gmt games. There's still time to get your preorder in for a discount. Tou can also order mounted maps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back