Dirt Cheap Dog

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as most of us think Ricky O is a tool, I like these quotes ...

"The Dogs didn't plan for him to play on so they didn't budget for Aker, but he is willing to commit to the club at whatever money they have left in the cap," Olarenshaw said.
"He understands he has been well rewarded financially throughout his footy career and now he just wants to help the Dogs win a premiership."

It warms my heart to know that Aker will definitely play on ... he's definitely one of ours now and wouldn't it be great to give him a FOURTH premiership.

What a Champ Aker is! Brownlow Medalist, 3 Premierships and is willing to play on minimum wage for the love of the club and game.

By him agreeing to these terms he should get his wish of being remembered as a great player at the Dogs.

True Champion :thumbsu:

what a legend. good on him, great to see players want to play for the love of the game, a credit to him and a credit to the club as well that it is able to get this dedication from such a celebrated player.

it kinda $h!ts me though that b hall will be getting more than him.

anyway good on ya aker

Will he be given a bit more time to do media?

Great stuff. It shows what respect he holds for FFC. I doubt whether he would have made the same commitment to that amoral mob Brisbane and that stooge Voss.

what a legend. good on him, great to see players want to play for the love of the game, a credit to him and a credit to the club as well that it is able to get this dedication from such a celebrated player.

Very impressed with Aker, then again I always have been from Day 1 going back to his Bris days. When he came to the Western Bulldogs, I was absolutely rapt and moreso now that he wants to go on for another year because he wants to help win this club a premiership. Good stuff Aker!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a perfect example of not only a footballer playing for the love of the game but also a person epitomising the old adage of "for the love not the money"

Brilliant footballer, brilliant person. :thumbsu:

And note how Lake didn't ask for any extra cash - kept the same deal that was on the table from the start:thumbsu:

I'm of the understanding that the hold up with Lake was us wanting to heavily back end his contract to take into account his last 2 years will be on the veterans list and by paying him less in year 1 & 2 it would be easier to fit in Aker & others in the meantime.
Might be wrong but think Lake wanted to be just as well looked after in year 1 of the contract as in year 4, which has made it a bit harder for us to fit in the likes of Aker & Eagle next year.
Great to hear Aker will be going around again in 2010.

What about the marketing allowance of $550k.
Last year we were only able to pay around $250k (for whatever reasons you choose to believe on BF).
With the new stadium deal, one would like to think we could provide the full amount which you'd expect would go to Aker and Johnno (and maybe Coons) who tend to do all our media work.
This is speculation on my behalf, but anyone with any real knowledge might like to explain more.
Anyway, as I inferred in the second post ... AKER you DEAD-SET BULLDOG LEGEND!

What about the marketing allowance of $550k.
Last year we were only able to pay around $250k (for whatever reasons you choose to believe on BF).
With the new stadium deal, one would like to think we could provide the full amount which you'd expect would go to Aker and Johnno (and maybe Coons) who tend to do all our media work.
This is speculation on my behalf, but anyone with any real knowledge might like to explain more.
Anyway, as I inferred in the second post ... AKER you DEAD-SET BULLDOG LEGEND!

Dare say he will be getting a bigger slice of that pie next year, as compensation. Even if he does it is still a great sacrifice he is making, and shows how much respect he has for the club and how much he wants it to succeed.

Good on ya Aker :thumbsu:

Don't be surprised if several dogs players have their current contracts looked at in the next couple of weeks.
Thinking that if 10 or so well paid players take a 5-10K reduction, that will give an extra 100K to share between Aker & Eagle. More so Eagle as Aker gets well paid through media commitments. When you get 250K a year, taking 5 or 10K off isn't a big deal...

Really was so pleasing to wake up this morning and see an article like this, shows that there are still many guys out there playing for the love of the jumper. To me this really cements Aker as a bulldog, and reminds me of the sacrifice Chris Grant made to stay at the doggies. Really fantastic. Aker is coming to China next month with colbert, Dunstall and one other former player, the boys over here will give him a rousing reception. What a champ :)

How come our salary cap is in such a precarious state? I know we have a good list but it seems to me from afar that we are paying over the odds. I could understand it if we won the premiership or if we were winning 20 games every year with a star studded line up. But we are winning 15 games a year, not making the grand final and we have one(maybe two) genuine stars in our team. Are we paying on potential rather than performance?

I mean, I am wrapped in our management and totally appreciative that we have managed to keep the list together. It just seems a bit strange to me that we have such a large salary cap issue where we are getting players to take pay cuts or restructuring contracts.

Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way :confused:

It's all about timing, we have an older list and have quite a few players in their mid to late 20's which are at their earning peak but are ineligible for the veterans list (Gia, Murph, Lake, Hahn, Gilbee, Shaggy, Boyd, Cross, Morris) but we also have quite a few players in their early 20's who have shown enough to warrant larger contracts to stave off offers from other Clubs (Cooney, Higgins, Griffen, Hill and Everitt). Add to that guys like Aker, Hudson and Welsh who all would have deserved decent coin but are ineligible for the vet's list and it paints a pretty good picture of where we are at in list retention.

Add to that fringe guys like Williams, Addison, Grant, Tiller, etc who are into their second professional contract and you are obliged to pay them more than a draftee.

Eagleton goes on to the vets list but Hall takes up what Welsh was paid and then some. Aker was not budgeted for and hence with his wanting to play on for another year he is only left with scraps.

The concern is whether we can satisfy guys like Reid and O'Keefe with their 2nd professional contracts. I just hope this situation doesn't get any worse before it gets better. When you consider what we have in regard to players in their late 20's and available spots on the vets list in future years we may see some harsh decisions made on some of the players in the first group I made mention of.

In short we need to land a Premiership in the next 2 years because the rebuilding of the list will become paramount for the 3rd year (2011 Draft).

I'm now a bigger fan of him than I was before. Even with that, he'll be on less than the average AFL wage, but he'll still be earning more than the average Australian worker's wage ...

I am such a huge fan now. Loved him before for his work ethic on the field, now even more and that is what I call a class act. Love you Aker, you're a star!:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back