Opinion Dirtiest Essendon players in your time watching

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Stephen “Stan” Carey. Brutal. Premiership player. Sent the footballer of the century into retirement with a broken cheekbone. Chased dipierdomenico all day, one day at Windyhill, but Cameron Clayton was the one that caught up with him in retaliation to the Stoneham incident.
Stan The Man gave Leigh matthews the send off he deserved on behalf of many.

The Dipper hit on Stoneham was truly despicable. But I love how Merv comes in for retaliation within 3.5 seconds of impact.

Big Slam

Debutant
Aug 9, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
He had a screw loose. Genuine nutter.

I remember having dinner with (then) player in 1989 and he was laughing saying that Antrobus had nickname “the angry ant” but it should have been “the angry squirrel” - because Antrobus was known to have the tendency of grabbing opposing players by the nuts in pack situations.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Merrett was actually filthy...t

I actually didn't like him much. It was all raised elbows and sliding knees. Not much real toughness IMO.

Started to dislike him more when I heard him interviewed (after leaving Essendon) and he was asked if he had ever felt fear on the football field. He said no and I call bullshit on anyone who says that.....especially someone whose specialty was meeting front on contact with raised elbows!

He was part of an era that I loved but I just don't the affection for this guy that I have for pretty much everyone else who played back then.
Roger. He got games early in his career he didn’t deserve. Absolutely a sheedy project (think Kevin Walsh) He was sent out to inflict pain, does anyone remember The Hitman furore ?! That was Don Scott, who had retired, using his Sun column, to try and destabilise Essendon in the lead up to the ‘83 final series. Typical ******* hawfforn using their ex-captain to try and throw our club.
This was the making of Merrett, he went from complete battler,to gun. Thanks Scott, thanks hawfforn. Unbelievable how he went to one of the last picked to first named. Terrible end to his Essendon career, one game off a milestone where we couldn’t make the finals and they played him in the ressies. s**t decision. He went to the Bears and is considered the Father of that club.
****ed up that one sheedy.

Last edited:
Would have to say that as a young bloke Phil Carman certainly left an impression in the few games he played in the couple of seasons he was with us.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Kicked 8 in round 20 and a purple patch in month up to that. Had quiet finals seriesbut had played every game up to GF. Remember footage at 3/4 time huddle in one of the finals, may have been the Prelim where he seemed pissed off and pulled away from Harvs who was trying to calm him down

Stacked the weight on in the last 6 weeks.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Stephen “Stan” Carey. Brutal. Premiership player. Sent the footballer of the century into retirement with a broken cheekbone. Chased dipierdomenico all day, one day at Windyhill, but Cameron Clayton was the one that caught up with him in retaliation to the Stoneham incident.
Stan The Man gave Leigh matthews the send off he deserved on behalf of many.

Nice call. Not many realised that the the hit on Matthews, about 1 minute before the siren in the 85 GF, broke his cheekbone. Carey missed the ball by about 2 feet...!

The Cameron Clayton hit on Dipper - right in front of the Dick Reynolds stand - led to one of the biggest roars I have heard at a footy game.
Gary Foulds also hit Dipper that day & when Dipper asked "what did you do that for?", Gaz replied "Anyone who is near you today is going to snap you".
Different times....

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Nice call. Not many realised that the the hit on Matthews, about 1 minute before the siren in the 85 GF, broke his cheekbone. Carey missed the ball by about 2 feet...!

The Cameron Clayton hit on Dipper - right in front of the Dick Reynolds stand - led to one of the biggest roars I have heard at a footy game.
Gary Foulds also hit Dipper that day & when Dipper asked "what did you do that for?", Gaz replied "Anyone who is near you today is going to snap you".
Different times....

Dipper the sniper with a grin

deserved every whack he copped

One of the great things about the 84’ GF is Shane Heard shutting him down with nothing but fair playing tagging

Then the Dipper later cowardly hits Walsh and Roger replaces him going straight to FF and marks strongly and kicks a goal

Thanks Dip ya dip s###

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Different times....

i had Foulds number 10 on my jumper as a kid

loved him

Back