Opinion Dirtiest Essendon players in your time watching

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Yet won a Brownlow for best and fairest.

yeah go figure.

I always liked Dippa until I was playing Craps at Crown about 15 years ago - there was about 8 of us having a really good run, dice could do no wrong...then Dippa shows up & all the staff start falling over themselves to set him up, took like 5 ******* minutes just to cash him in so we could get started again. & soon enough he had the dice, nuff said.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
yeah go figure.

I always liked Dippa until I was playing Craps at Crown about 15 years ago - there was about 8 of us having a really good run, dice could do no wrong...then Dippa shows up & all the staff start falling over themselves to set him up, took like 5 ******* minutes just to cash him in so we could get started again. & soon enough he had the dice, nuff said.

D grade celebrities are the worst

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
We’re you there that day at Windy Hill when Jacko went nuts on Ronnie?

entertainment plus

Yep, was there. Ronnie held his nerve that day. Jacko was dead-set nuts. Have heard a few stories about when he was at another club, they couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

Gary Foulds taught at the school across the road from me when I was a kid, seemed pretty mild-mannered...!

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
an academy award performance by what’s his name umpire

just
a forehead love tap lol

Timmy coming in and dragging him away

a most unfortunate incident

Graham Carbery. Died not too long ago. Was gay, and suffered a fair bit because of it..
Over-acted to the extreme in this incident, though.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep, was there. Ronnie held his nerve that day. Jacko was dead-set nuts. Have heard a few stories about when he was at another club, they couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

Gary Foulds taught at the school across the road from me when I was a kid, seemed pretty mild-mannered...!

Foulds was the consummate professional back man you coukd always be reliable to do his job week after week without any fanfare.

And never got injured. 300 gamer/value for money.

It’s one of the great joys watching the celebrations after the siren in 84’ seeing him and Simon, Merv, Vander, Watson, TD etc hugging each other after so long slugging it out since the early 70s before Sheedy came along.

The very definition of a “ workhorse” who done his job without any dramatics.

Sean Wellman later on was the same.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I was there. These new crowd rules are going to fu** my attending streak right up.

I’m pretty sure we talked about the Jackson/ Ronnie chaos that time we met up at the Royal with Sam.P and co

I wasn’t at the Carmen headbutt match for some reason.

Jacko...I was sitting on the old bowling club brick wall in the pocket and had a clear view of the all the shenanigans going on that day.

The Essendon crowd was like a coliseum that day. Baying for Jackon’s blood.

I’m pretty sure at one stage someone jumped the fence and stepped towards the boundary taunting Jacko but was quickly sent back by cops.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Ok so one of the sneakiest dirty things I've ever seen was done by Michael long on the Windy Hill outer wing. Essendon were playing the Crows in 91. Crows players were giving Long heaps. I think it started very early in the game. Anyhoo can't remember whicH quarter but Longy was chasing a player and Abernathy went to hip and shoulder in a shepherd on Long, but Longy jumped into him and threw a punch flooring him. Long got reported of course but bloody hell it was a good punch.

Last edited:

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Ok so one of the sneakiest dirty things I've ever seen was done by Michael long on the Windy Hill outer wing. Essendon were playing the Crows in 91. Crows players were giving Long heaps. I think it started very early in the game. Anyhoo can't remember whicH quarter but Longy was chasing a player and Abernathy went to hip and shoulder in a shepherd on Long, but Longy jumped into him and threw a punch flooring him. Long got reported of course but bloody hell it was a good punch.

I have it on very very very good authority that the boxing coach that used to train players out of Essendon thought that Long could have been a world class boxer.

Dean Wallis immediately comes to mind.

For those that mentioned Ron Andrews - I never saw him play but he’s a ripper bloke. Was our school camp bus driver a few years back. Kids didn’t know who he was but he was always up for a kick of the footy with whoever asked. He absolutely saved our camp that year too. Had gastro run through the camp (pardon the pun) and he took 40 odd crook kids and staff from Adelaide back to Mildura. Absolute champ.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

These are the little stories i adore.

Longy was all witty quips and quiet spoken antidotes away from the field ..but on field ...there was a subtle , pathological aggression underneath that would occasionally pop its head up from time to time.

But you had to be quick to spot it...lol

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Dean Wallis immediately comes to mind.

For those that mentioned Ron Andrews - I never saw him play but he’s a ripper bloke. Was our school camp bus driver a few years back. Kids didn’t know who he was but he was always up for a kick of the footy with whoever asked. He absolutely saved our camp that year too. Had gastro run through the camp (pardon the pun) and he took 40 odd crook kids and staff from Adelaide back to Mildura. Absolute champ.

Ronnie the school bus driver ..lmao!!!

Best thing i’ve read on bf in 15 years lol

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I have it on very very very good authority that the boxing coach that used to train players out of Essendon thought that Long could have been a world class boxer.

yes..he loved to put the gloves on and smash someone given the opportunity.

The standard Longy stories are Sheedy quotes about how he used to hide in the sauna at WH in the middle of winter trying to warm up etc

But put him in a combative situation...the inner rage would appear

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Mick Long was bashed from pillar to post, verbally, physically, good on him for getting a couple back in. He was sent back on v w.coast with a jumper full of broken ribs when we were down to 16 fit blokes. He stood in a pocket, clearly hurting.So much of his career was missed because back then we didnt have the wall to wall coverage we have now. A lot of what he did on the field just sits in the memory. I am blessed to have seen every game he’s played.Three knee reconstructions. Three !! Tough as any footballer you would want. Add in the sheer brilliance of the bloke.
Sensational footballer Mick.

Last edited:
Anyone mentioned Billy Duckworth?? I remember Dermott said he was on the bottom of a pack one day and Billy stood on his hand then twisted his studs causing a large deep nasty wound.

Appreciate the shout-out.

Solly for my generation. Absolute tough nut with no fear who charged at the footy and who didn't mind dishing out.

My old man would say Roger Merrett or Don McKenzie made plenty of the opposition nervous.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Solly for my generation. Absolute tough nut with no fear who charged at the footy and who didn't mind dishing out.

My old man would say Roger Merrett or Don McKenzie made plenty of the opposition nervous.

Solly, Hardwick and Mark Johnson are the 3 hardest goers with no fear of anything I’ve seen at Essendon since late 70s.

Absolute units. And MJ played with no mouth guard in which was particularly mental.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Not dirty but I heard Mark Mercuri could throw them.

Not dirty but I heard Mark Mercuri could throw them.
Yeah, he didn’t mind giving blokes a clip behind the ears every now and then. Definitely got rubbed out a few times.

Back