No Oppo Supporters Dirtiest VFL/AFL Player You Ever Saw?

Remove this Banner Ad

Given our Toby is the current whipping boy I thought it might be interesting to look back though our own personal histories with the game and note the serious bastards that could make Toby look like a choir boy.

Subjective for sure, but here is mine (in rough order) to kick it off:

Tony Liberatore - Dogs
Leigh Mathews - Hawks
Steven Baker - Saints
Rob Muir - Saints
Dermott Brereton - Hawks\Swans\Pies
Barry Hall - Saints\Swans\Dogs
Rod Grinter - Demons
Robert Dipierdomenio - Hawks

Good list
I would add David Rhys-Jones-Carlton winger.
Probably give it to Barry Hall, he could be genuinely nasty.
Dermie a real prospect, in his defence it was all about "face" with him. Walking through an opposition huddle and kissing opponents on the cheek ( technique he pioneered) were designed to intimidate rather than be really brutal. He generally preferred his opponent to see the whack coming I think but he wasn't necessarily a stickler for it. Actually maybe Dermie now I think about it.
I am biased but I think Leigh Matthews was tough but not dirty generally. The Bruns incident was ugly and he always said it was his one regret in football. He was trying to nreak a tag, and tbere was prior provocation. Generally he tough and wouldn't back off rather than nasty in my view.

As a young Carlton supporter at the time, even I hated on Rhys-Jones. To this day the worst in my opinion.
I dont recall the exact game but I do remember him having to be repeatedly pulled off the ground because he kept losing his scone, after he'd been reported. early in the game. Ptetty sure it was a Pies game. Good wingman though.

I dont recall the exact game but I do remember him having to be repeatedly pulled off the ground because he kept losing his scone, after he'd been reported. early in the game. Ptetty sure it was a Pies game. Good wingman though.
Talented. One could say he was was the full six pack, but lacked the plastic thingy to keep it all together.

Vinny Waite would kick his own grandmother to death and take any money left in her purse.

There's only one Tony Lockett.

That said, his achilles tendons still work, in an era when fullbacks would kick and tear on the back of the calf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back