Autopsy Dirty_Banchez Presents Fremantle v Collingwood Autopsy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel the same way. He definitely has his blindspots, Ross, and this is one of them. For all he goes on about failure being feedback, I don't know how much he drinks his own bath water. Now that the list is more balanced, I'm interested in seeing what he does with the side, but I'm beginning to feel that I won't need much of a shove to jump off the Lyon bandwagon.

We all have our blindspots. But I think with Ross, he had a few limitations to the list and did what he could with the tools to hand. He might have done things differently with a better balanced list or some differences to the team, such as the repeated long term injury to his 3 rucks and kpd (luke/johno) or no 2nd kpf of worth, those things in combination would affect the game plan that you have to implement as opposed to what you wanted to implement.

If Freo wasn't the ugly duckling of the competition and was somewhat of a destination club, we would have had at least one of the key position player signings that were mooted over the last 5 years - but that's a problem that was particular for the club that then becomes the coaches problem. Also had to contend with the expansion clubs hoovering up the top end talent at a critical time in our list cycle - e.g. kpf (top listed key position players were in short supply across the competition at a time that we needed to recruit, lasting for about 5 or 6 years). So, he made good with the cattle that he had at his hand and aside from 1 year did alright.

I don't think you can compare to Clarkson as they had a different list and different pattern of injuries, maybe Ross could have gotten Hawthorn a fourpeat instead of Clarksons threepeat if he was their coach (and no I don't think it likely).

We all have our blindspots. But I think with Ross, he had a few limitations to the list and did what he could with the tools to hand. He might have done things differently with a better balanced list or some differences to the team, such as the repeated long term injury to his 3 rucks and kpd (luke/johno) or no 2nd kpf of worth, those things in combination would affect the game plan that you have to implement as opposed to what you wanted to implement.

If Freo wasn't the ugly duckling of the competition and was somewhat of a destination club, we would have had at least one of the key position player signings that were mooted over the last 5 years - but that's a problem that was particular for the club that then becomes the coaches problem. Also had to contend with the expansion clubs hoovering up the top end talent at a critical time in our list cycle - e.g. kpf (top listed key position players were in short supply across the competition at a time that we needed to recruit, lasting for about 5 or 6 years). So, he made good with the cattle that he had at his hand and aside from 1 year did alright.

I don't think you can compare to Clarkson as they had a different list and different pattern of injuries, maybe Ross could have gotten Hawthorn a fourpeat instead of Clarksons threepeat if he was their coach (and no I don't think it likely).

Interestingly, cherry picking some stats from 2013, in the 8 games Pav played that year, (leaving out the tank game vs St Kilda in round 23) our average score was 115, in the 13 games without him our average score was 82.

Impossible to know how things would have gone if Pav was 26 or 27 when Lyon arrived, but you’d have to think that in line with the above our scoring would have been more potent in the past few years. It’s an obvious conclusion that with an elite and in form KPF, you’re going to score more goals.

Until we get one, we won’t be winning a flag. Given Ross’s overall history we’d probably still be on the lower end of the top scoring sides, but we’d surely be closer to the 100 points a game yardstick then we’ve previously managed.

Biggest concern I have if we bounce back up the ladder too quickly is we’ll find ourselves in the same position again.

Many teams have won premierships with handy KPF though, the difference is that they have had quality
midfielders, who kick goals, and a better bottom six.
Also helps if the forward flankers are elite, dangerous. We had a chance in 2013, yet we didn't really add
much to the group, major change of thinking, tinkering with the gameplan after the GF.
2017 onwards is different, we have a clean slate, better bottom six, recruited better, all we need is the
coach to be seduced by talent, than rely on system.

Many teams have won premierships with handy KPF though, the difference is that they have had quality
midfielders, who kick goals, and a better bottom six.

Also helps if the forward flankers are elite, dangerous. We had a chance in 2013, yet we didn't really add
much to the group, major change of thinking, tinkering with the gameplan after the GF.
2017 onwards is different, we have a clean slate, better bottom six, recruited better, all we need is the
coach to be seduced by talent, than rely on system.
Prime example is West Coast 2006 when they had Hansen and Lynch as their forwards with Hunter swinging in and Cox going forward. Their midfield was a goal machine.

Wow, I didn't realise that. Well, disregard me previous post.

Don't be so quick - there is an enormous gulf in the quality of those two players! A dominant midfield will score goals themselves and lay things on a plate for even a KPF such as the Great Galoot.

We have recruited better in the last 2 years than in what we have done since probably 2000\2 . We have traded in players that have serious potential but I reserve my judgement just yet .
Just for comparison 2000 DRAFT Pavlich ,Haselby Leigh Brown ,Troy Longmuir Player TRADED IN Troy Cook
2001 draft Mathew Carr ,A Mcphee ,Haddrill
2002 draft Medhurst , Roger Hayden TRADED IN Croad, Farmer ,Mcpharlin ,Troy Simmons, Hedland .
2002 was a very good coupe lets hope that these boys have the same success rate .

We have recruited better in the last 2 years than in what we have done since probably 2000\2 . We have traded in players that have serious potential but I reserve my judgement just yet .
Just for comparison 2000 DRAFT Pavlich ,Haselby Leigh Brown ,Troy Longmuir Player TRADED IN Troy Cook
2001 draft Mathew Carr ,A Mcphee ,Haddrill
2002 draft Medhurst , Roger Hayden TRADED IN Croad, Farmer ,Mcpharlin ,Troy Simmons, Hedland .
2002 was a very good coupe lets hope that these boys have the same success rate .
Regardless of how it panned out, that crop of trades in 2002 is amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spurr was the club leader in marks and inside 50 involvements last season and as you say a club leader. Anyone wHO thinks he won't be in the 22 and replaced by an unproven rookie is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Except when he kicks out in the full, misses targets, bombs it long for a turn over or gets left behind by the quicker small forwards he plays on.
Things Spurr brings to the team: toughness, marking ability drifting across defenders and leadership.
So there are some pretty good things and some not so good with his game. I hope there is young talent pushing for his position this year which is healthy for our footy club. Hardly cloud cuckoo land...
:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back