Autopsy Dirty_Banchez Presents Fremantle v Collingwood Autopsy Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No you're right it didn't.. but there were quite a few plays where each of these boys either lowered their eyes and hit a target or realised their was no good option and decided to run the ball a bit before re-evaluating which is what we want more of... the bomb to the hotspot should be the last option not the first.

I thought Kersten was a bit of a letdown and provided very little in the first half. That dropped mark! Tabs would have been crucified. Once Kersten hurt himself we had no marking forward in the F50 unless Sandi or Griff were resting forward. Alot of our entries were kicked to 1v1's but were picked off because of our lack of height. we didn't have a tall who could at least bring the ball to ground.

I thought our forward structure worked fairly well yesterday as we managed to have quite a few 1v1's... our F50 entries were fairly good too being able to kick to these 1v1's... unfortunately we just didn't have the cattle to win many of them.

Too early to tell but my intial thoughts are that I really don't think McCarthy/Kersten are the answer/focal point to our forward line. They are 2nd-3rd tall forwards that will work well on the lead. We need a tall to take the no1 defender who is capable of taking a contested mark or at least bringing the ball down. Tom Lynch from GC would be perfect..... otherwise one of Apeness or Tabs.

I think we pick 3 of these 4.
Sandi, Griff, Apeness, Tabs

Sandi picks himself.

With the future in mind it should be Sandi, Ape, Tabs. But with this season in mind Griff played a great game and put himself ahead. See what happens in JLT3.

As you say,too early to make the call on McCarthy/Kersten,we need the real stuff to start....A forward line setting up with Ballas McCarthy Walters Bennell Kersten & Fyfe(at times) will be a bloody handful for a lot of back 6's IMO.

As you say,too early to make the call on McCarthy/Kersten,we need the real stuff to start....A forward line setting up with Ballas McCarthy Walters Bennell Kersten & Fyfe(at times) will be a bloody handful for a lot of back 6's IMO.

As improved as our forward line is looking on paper, they really just need to get dangerous. At this stage I reckon you could only put Walters in the dangerous category. Balla can be dangerous these days, but he's not a patch on what he used to be in terms of pressure that translates into goals. Now I don't think it's completely a personnel issue as we've got more firepower with our trades, so a lot of it has to come down to coaching. From what I saw on Saturday we're still just not that well organised up forward. When I think of the most successful teams of recent times, as soon as the ball goes inside 50, you know that they're odds on to kick a goal. It would really be a new era for this club if we could achieve that level of scoring efficiency with this new(ish) forward group.

Yeah I didn't mind the shorter forward line too much personally either. Kersten had a pretty ordinary first quarter but I thought he started to show something in the second before he got injured in the last few seconds. McCarthy showed a bit early and then dropped off before appearing again towards the end. I don't think we can judge either of them too harshly based on only two JLT games but I think it's worth persisting with both because they will get better. I'd give Kersten a similar timeframe to Cam to make it work because neither have to play tall given Kersten's speed and Cam's skills. I think we then either decide to go tall and play a ruck/forward (eg Griffin or Apeness) and tall forward (eg Tabs or Cox) or small and just a ruck/forward knowing Sandi, Fyfe and Mundy can all push forward as well. Taller means slower (big problem in JLT 1) but more marking targets, shorter means we need to be more accurate with our i50s (something we haven't been good at) but plenty of dynamism and possibly better defensively as well. Both Tabs and Apeness will play AFL game this season, I don't think we have to rush them back for Rd 1 necessarily. They'll hopefully get silver service from Balic and Duman if they line up for Peel instead ;)

The real problem is that we didn't adequately replace Roger or Duffman who could create out of the backline.

Spurr is the only member of the leadership group in the backline and is the general down there. Nobody else in the backline has the character to do that, which is why that quality alone is why he's one of the first names on the team sheet. Until someone else can prove they have can organise and lead as well as he does, his position is safe. FWIW I think A Pearce will be the next leader of the backline.

To a degree, but it still didn't translate into forward line efficiency

It will translate to forward efficiency when they stop using Ballas as a "leading forward". Ballas is a crumber, the leading forwards are Kerst, Macca, Aps, Taberner etc.

On Saturday they were regularly attacking into Ballas, unfortunately the kicks were weighted for 190 cm plus players.

Very happy with Ballas input on Saturday.

If they were that worried about his disposal surely they could have given him clear instructions- low risk options only, favour handballing over kicking and if in doubt 40m punt along the boundary.

Can't be in a backline with Dawson though. Can scarcely afford 1 player with poor disposal, they have to add a lot in other ways to make up for it, but 2 is courting disaster as every stuff up in defence is a potential goal by the other team.

The real problem is that we didn't adequately replace Roger or Duffman who could create out of the backline.

Spurr is the only member of the leadership group in the backline and is the general down there. Nobody else in the backline has the character to do that, which is why that quality alone is why he's one of the first names on the team sheet. Until someone else can prove they have can organise and lead as well as he does, his position is safe. FWIW I think A Pearce will be the next leader of the backline.
Really don't agree with this post; perhaps I am misreading it?

Johnson, Dawson and Ibbotson have all shown leadership in the backline. Dawson was virtually an on-field coach when he arrived and MJ's pointing to control the troops is virtual legend status on here. Both are organisational old hands for us.

I also think it is a little too early to be predicting that Weller (for example) lacks the character to be the general down back. He is playing in the ideal position to control that section of the ground and to me seems to be far more than a role player for us. If we are looking towards a Duffield replacement, Weller has the disposal skills and pace to match, but also has a bit more intent than Duffield had.

Hamling looked capable of being more than a stopper for us and has demonstrated pretty decent on-field decision making ability. The next wave to me seems very exciting, in fact I cannot recall a time where the emerging defenders have been as creative and skilled as the batch we have. Leadership is typically dependant on experience, and I am confidant that that group of players have the ability to become formidable.

Spurr is the only member of the leadership group in the backline and is the general down there. Nobody else in the backline has the character to do that, which is why that quality alone is why he's one of the first names on the team sheet. Until someone else can prove they have can organise and lead as well as he does, his position is safe.
Michael Johnson will organise OK back there for the moment too if he can stay on the park.

As improved as our forward line is looking on paper, they really just need to get dangerous. At this stage I reckon you could only put Walters in the dangerous category. Balla can be dangerous these days, but he's not a patch on what he used to be in terms of pressure that translates into goals. Now I don't think it's completely a personnel issue as we've got more firepower with our trades, so a lot of it has to come down to coaching. From what I saw on Saturday we're still just not that well organised up forward. When I think of the most successful teams of recent times, as soon as the ball goes inside 50, you know that they're odds on to kick a goal. It would really be a new era for this club if we could achieve that level of scoring efficiency with this new(ish) forward group.

McCarthy I'm going to be very patient with.I'm confident later in the year he'll light up.Bennell & Fyfe both can get super dangerous,me thinks.

Dawson weighs in big time with backline mechanics and is the co-author along with RTB,Johno and Elvis of the 'Organically Evolving Defensive Algorithm' .
The Dawson Effect:'To hurt someone significantly in order to enable time for re-coding' is enacted if the Defensive Algorithm has any temporary fissures.

I've just started watching the game and 10 mins in my initial thoughts are: those running Hills are opening space up all over the joint,gonna help transition from defense to attack enormously.
Lyon will re-energise our momentum on the back of midfield strength and additions.
Ed Langdon looks the part.
Hamling looks fuquen good in da Poipal!!

Johnson, Dawson and Ibbotson have all shown leadership in the backline. Dawson was virtually an on-field coach when he arrived and MJ's pointing to control the troops is virtual legend status on here. Both are organisational old hands for us.

I also think it is a little too early to be predicting that Weller (for example) lacks the character to be the general down back. He is playing in the ideal position to control that section of the ground and to me seems to be far more than a role player for us. If we are looking towards a Duffield replacement, Weller has the disposal skills and pace to match, but also has a bit more intent than Duffield had.

Hamling looked capable of being more than a stopper for us and has demonstrated pretty decent on-field decision making ability. The next wave to me seems very exciting, in fact I cannot recall a time where the emerging defenders have been as creative and skilled as the batch we have. Leadership is typically dependant on experience, and I am confidant that that group of players have the ability to become formidable.

Dawson weighs in big time with backline mechanics and is the co-author along with RTB,Johno and Elvis of the 'Organically Evolving Defensive Algorithm' .
The Dawson Effect:'To hurt someone significantly in order to enable time for re-coding' is enacted if the Defensive Algorithm has any temporary fissures.

I've just started watching the game and 10 mins in my initial thoughts are: those running Hills are opening space up all over the joint,gonna help transition from defense to attack enormously.
Lyon will re-energise our momentum on the back of midfield strength and additions.
Ed Langdon looks the part.
Hamling looks fuquen good in da Poipal!!

Excellent posts. Particularly agree with bolded parts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest positive for me so far this pre-season has been the steady upward trajectory of tucker,
Carried on from last year
Seems to have earned Lyons trust from the day he arrived and has so far delivered the goods
A bit like Neale
He's just got it - smarts and class. Reminds me a bit of Jack Macreay from the dogs, the smooth moving lefty that just keeps getting on the end of it and doing good things when he has it.

Biggest positive for me so far this pre-season has been the steady upward trajectory of tucker,
Carried on from last year
Seems to have earned Lyons trust from the day he arrived and has so far delivered the goods
A bit like Neale
Exciting. But the Hills in tandem and Hamling on the weekend we're also pretty exciting.

How did you rate Hamlings game overall on the weekend?

I thought Hamling was excellent on the weekend. He took contested marks when one on one. He got beaten by White and Cox once or twice when the ball movement was quick (after turnovers I think), but started to work well with Johnson. I was also impressed with his speed. At one stage on the wing he looked well out of position to spoil a mark, but managed to jump in front of his opponent in a flash to take a low mark.
Really looked a step above what we had last year.

How did you rate Hamlings game overall on the weekend?
upload_2017-3-6_23-18-20.png

I thought he did well. I liked that he marked the ball so often rather than spoiling which is good to see. 4 contested marks in the backline.

On Clem's point about speed, his has some great acceleration. After a turnover and a quick inside 50 he managed to burst past Cox and soccer the ball clear. I know it was against a ruckman but Cox was 5m ahead of him when the ball was only 10m away.

I'm feeling fairly confident that Alex Pearce and Hamling will make a great backline duo for years to come once they get going. Now we just need to sort out our 3rd tall. (Logue?)

View attachment 343118

I thought he did well. I liked that he marked the ball so often rather than spoiling which is good to see. 4 contested marks in the backline.

On Clem's point about speed, his has some great acceleration. After a turnover and a quick inside 50 he managed to burst past Cox and soccer the ball clear. I know it was against a ruckman but Cox was 5m ahead of him when the ball was only 10m away.

I'm feeling fairly confident that Alex Pearce and Hamling will make a great backline duo for years to come once they get going. Now we just need to sort out our 3rd tall. (Logue?)

Need to give him a go first. Sit a few of our HB cloggers on the sidelines and see what he can do. I was pretty disappointed with Lyon's comments regarding Logue's background and deficiencies. I think he will shine under greater pressure. He's that type of beast IMO.

Need to give him a go first. Sit a few of our HB cloggers on the sidelines and see what he can do. I was pretty disappointed with Lyon's comments regarding Logue's background and deficiencies. I think he will shine under greater pressure. He's that type of beast IMO.
From how Ross described Logue, sounds very similar to Ibbotson, who was also very late to the
game.
Logue should be an upgrade on Ibbo or Sutcliffe, maybe in the future he can replace Johnson?

I just don't see Ibbo as a natural leader and isn't very authoritative. Dawson, I think, will be in and out of the team and eventually out by season's end. Weller could very well develop into a leader but that's still a long way off IMO. First he has to make a position his and then play some consistent good footy. MJ you're right, although this could very well be his last season. So assuming Ibbo, Dawson and MJ aren't on the list next year, there really aren't any leaders left in the backline, which is why Spurr is crucial for the transition between Dawson, MJ and Ibbo to Hamling, Collins, Logue, Weller. Spurr has been one of our more durable players.

Ross is an extremely calculating individual.
Most unlikely in my opinion if the comments he made regarding Griffin Logue do not have exactly the affect they were designed to produce.
Whether that is to motivate him,to take the pressure off him,to completely fox the industry about the club's assessment of the guy,to let Griff know something esoteric or very direct I wouldn't have a clue.
I believe that RTB is a master motivator and manipulator and very difficult to get an unguarded statement out of him to do with his players.Can't imagine him saying something about the players he is so protective of which would have a negative impact on their confidence or development.He's too pragmatic and cluey.
Might not be saying much more than he's still adjusting to our system and structures.

Ross is an extremely calculating individual.
Most unlikely in my opinion if the comments he made regarding Griffin Logue do not have exactly the affect they were designed to produce.
Whether that is to motivate him,to take the pressure off him,to completely fox the industry about the club's assessment of the guy,to let Griff know something esoteric or very direct I wouldn't have a clue.
I believe that RTB is a master motivator and manipulator and very difficult to get an unguarded statement out of him to do with his players.Can't imagine him saying something about the players he is so protective of which would have a negative impact on their confidence or development.He's too pragmatic and cluey.
Might not be saying much more than he's still adjusting to our system and structures.
I think the answer is 'all of the above.' If we were to play him round 1, I fear the media would be placing huge expectations on him as he was probably the most physically mature from last year's draftees and the one touted as most ready to play straight away. Combine that with a team that only won 4 games and they would've portrayed him as our saving grace.

I think the answer is 'all of the above.' If we were to play him round 1, I fear the media would be placing huge expectations on him as he was probably the most physically mature from last year's draftees and the one touted as most ready to play straight away. Combine that with a team that only won 4 games and they would've portrayed him as our saving grace.

They still might.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back