Unsolved Disappearance of Jake Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Baffling

20yo Jake Lyons disappeared on Monday, August 25, 2014.

Jake was last seen by his father, Rick, in the morning at their home in Scullin Street, Dandenong North. Rick left for work, leaving Jake at home alone.

Rick returned home from work around 5pm to find the house unlocked and the gas stove running. Jake and his car, a 2006 Holden Astra, were gone.

Jake had dismantled his mobile phone and computer and left them at home.

The car was found six days later, parked at Warner Reserve, Springvale South, about six kilometres from the Lyons’ home.

There were no signs of a struggle, or that Jake had left the vehicle in a hurry.

The car was locked and the keys were placed underneath it.

Police were later able to ascertain that Jake had stopped at a Springvale Road supermarket, where he purchased a drink and some snacks, and withdrew $50 cash.

His bank account has not been accessed since.

Police conducted line searches of Warner Reserve and also searched and dredged nearby drains and waterways. Nothing of interest was found.

Rick said that his son had been depressed and had received counselling. He had spoken at times of starting a new life, perhaps in the military or working in the outback. He had not communicated any concrete plans to anybody, however.

Police believe Jake may have met somebody at the park, however there is no evidence to suggest this is the case.

Investigations into Jake’s personal life uncovered no clues to suggest he was ever in any serious trouble or involved in any illegal activity. To his family’s knowledge, he had no access to any significant sum of money or the means to travel.

I live in Melbourne and I’ve never heard of this case until I read it just now.

I vaguely recall hearing of it, I think, but it wasn’t jogged in my memory until recently when I happened across a FB post from a family member on his birthday, telling him to get in contact or come home. I was staggered that no trace of him had ever been uncovered.

It has some hallmarks of suicide but… withdrawing cash doesn’t really fit with it. And of course… where is his body?

The dismantling of his computer and phone, as though he perhaps didn’t want to leave any clues… or was that just a coincidence and he was just tinkering around with them?

Perhaps what seems to make the most sense is he was simply going for a walk at the park… and he has somehow been the victim of a random violent attack, or got into an argument with somebody which turned violent. But zero trace? Did he get into a car with somebody?

There’s some chance he disappeared himself I guess… but how realistic is that? Some kind of Breaking Bad vacuum repairman situation? I don’t see it.

Going only off the report above I lean towards taking his life as the most likeliest

A couple of questions though - what do they mean by dismantled? Unscrewed and parts taken out or smashed and unable to be accessed? ( or just everything unplugged and packed neatly , battery and sim taken out of phone) How much fuel was in the car? Were the empty snack wrappings found in the car?

Police were later able to ascertain that Jake had stopped at a Springvale Road supermarket, where he purchased a drink and some snacks, and withdrew $50 cash.

There is bus/tram/train access quite close plus bigger places a walk away ie Churchill Park.

My thoughts from the above.

Jake had depressive episodes and had made a decision . Dismantling his computer and leaving his phone behind indicates a desire to put things behind him ( the gas stove is baffling - maybe a last coffee?) snacks and drinks indicates 'last meal' - cash out can mean a bus or tram ticket

The keys under the car are a strong indicator of a desire to disappear. You dont leave keys under the car if you are going for a walk.

As to where? I wonder how much of a search police conducted and he could still be in the water somewhere?

Going only off the report above I lean towards taking his life as the most likeliest

A couple of questions though - what do they mean by dismantled? Unscrewed and parts taken out or smashed and unable to be accessed? ( or just everything unplugged and packed neatly , battery and sim taken out of phone) How much fuel was in the car? Were the empty snack wrappings found in the car?

There is bus/tram/train access quite close plus bigger places a walk away ie Churchill Park.

My thoughts from the above.

Jake had depressive episodes and had made a decision . Dismantling his computer and leaving his phone behind indicates a desire to put things behind him ( the gas stove is baffling - maybe a last coffee?) snacks and drinks indicates 'last meal' - cash out can mean a bus or tram ticket

The keys under the car are a strong indicator of a desire to disappear. You dont leave keys under the car if you are going for a walk.

As to where? I wonder how much of a search police conducted and he could still be in the water somewhere?

The public transport is an interesting thought that I hadn’t considered.

I’d figured he was in the car so wherever he was ultimately going, he would’ve driven. But that’s not a given.

I’m 99% sure there’d be CCTV at every train station so although Sandown Park station is close by, I doubt he made his way there without being caught on camera. Bus is a an interesting thought though. Not sure if buses have CCTV.

What bushland?

When combined with the adjacent Lysterfield Park, the two parks comprise 1,668 hectares (4,120 acres) in the Dandenong Valley and the Dandenong Ranges that are a haven for native birds, mammals and reptiles, and provide recreational opportunities.[2]

When combined with the adjacent Lysterfield Park, the two parks comprise 1,668 hectares (4,120 acres) in the Dandenong Valley and the Dandenong Ranges that are a haven for native birds, mammals and reptiles, and provide recreational opportunities.[2]

Yeah nah… that’s a three hour walk thru the suburbs in the opposite direction to which he drove. Doubt it

Yeah nah… that’s a three hour walk thru the suburbs in the opposite direction to which he drove. Doubt it
Not knowing the area I looked at a map of Warner Reserve and started looking for other areas he may have gone to - if they havent found the body in WR

The Churchill National park - by my eyes - looks to be no more than 4km away - ok maps say 14km by car 12.4 by foot.

data=3Uujc9UxppqrSlGLvYLYpetBWE87MbKViEo1nxRUwFrji5SYUHtjpDzHZconPQMBrkoFMpDQ6RDRUFX176oYhMJWHg17-jJ7U8uCrXN-nQEZRYj16K4u7R0S_G1rkQYWyRs9tim_pRlP9othFIJAldXri5qtdzKLNHVLKy_d,RI1WPO4O6Gm-604YDEQ6qURizOfPLGS0g-uFtFGn_djp8w29TQKqkiIKZzZMjFH_Fuxk73c8vO4AmVA0jvtxEaxtZZbZT3L9wiGlRcalT_N4ykAebqF8pYmzYkNIxI2ro3hz5LVLDiYR7z7M3HSeE4Vn_eBpecXNJla3Q0tPd07saN0_KpsmZiMaFZP26qW4c3DsSBhJuFHcA8jcAkMuPk5UU62fB2Xfwe4jK0H5wuRbHQQdw_DCD9mL3GOoQ7_1oLlBa-A0Wbz7-Y852DxWVYRMqQZlt0sgL2lVHVml58KIPqU3LS6KnBZWzwVNid8gzx3kxY4fiUR1P_8lnaj660g2CvRGJOodLpEU_VC7uxhWQ0JSY1YC6gp5vtswdyEqNYda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back