Disappointing, but encouraging

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Bit of a scrappy game with not too much of the eagles new game plan on show. Good start but a match goes for 4 quarters, not 1.

But Kerr, Fletcher, Wirrpunda, Read, Gardiner, Jones and Morrison played well. The eagles predictably fell apart with the youngster, as players such as Antonowich, Haynes and co making amateur mistakes.

Luckily the players who seemed to have weakened the squad can be easily replaced by the likes of Cousins, Cummings, Kemp, Phil Matera, Jakovich, Merenda and Taylor. Unfortunately if injuries resurface this season than covering them might be a bit hard.

On the whole, a below average performance and lots of improvement needed in order to avoid a bottom 4 finish.

Go Eagles!!!

------------------
"I'm not going to waste my life trying to prolong it"

Very Optimistic Daddy_4_Eyes. A 2 point loss to a team that looks like it has got a few good pick-ups and look like they are going to do well. I actually think, from what I have seen so far, that Collingwood will push North right to the line.
Eagles were mediocre, but wait till the season.

Optimistic? I predicted a BOTTOM 4 finish and you call that optimism? If thats optimism, what do you call pessimism?

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------

I thought we played quite well considering our stars were still out. We started great but faded away. Im just glad we didnt have another second half slip away. It looked like it might happen midway through the third but the boys kept there heads up and finished out the game well. I think enough has been shown to suggest that we will do reasonably well this year. Prolly not finals footy but i dont see a spoon year.

Lets remember it's still pre season and we still have a lot of quality players still to come into the side (Cousins, Kemp, Braun, Jacko, Phil Matera, Cummings). Collingwood were just the better side on the day.

Another great game for Kerr and Fletcher
smile.gif

Yeah i like Fletcher a lot. Three goals from the midfield and plenty of possesions which werent wasted. I think he will be a regular for us this year.

Glass also looks very good as does Kerr. Does anyone know whats happening with Kasey Green i saw him in a few games last year and i thought he would develop well but he hasnt played any games yet. Also why is McDougall not playing?

I *think* but don't quote me on this, that McDougall is out injured or is ready but they don't want to blood him just yet, maybe wait and give him some more time in the WAFL this year.

How come Travis Gasper isn't getting any games in the Ansett Cup either? Or do you guys think the club just wants him to keep playing with South Fremantle for now?

Gaspar is out injured. He, Cummings, Phil Matera and Donnelly are the only one's officially on the injury list.

So except for our two star forwards and utility we should have a close to full strength squad for the last ansett cup game.

How unlucky for St. Kilda to have to face us just as we're getting back to strength.

------------------

I dont think Braun will be playing this week. And Cousins is still a bit sore, so we may only have Jackovich in out of the four, because Kemp wont be there either.

Yep I think Jacko is 100% ready to play this week against the Saints. It won't be an easy game, since Blighty will want to score a win in the pre-season just as much as we do!

Who to drop will be a good question...

I wouldn't be surprised if the eagles just said that so that they do not have to play them. It was basically a way of saying we can't progress in the Ansett cup, why risk such players?

Which is disappointing from a supporters point of view. i really can't stand it when collingwood supporting friends come up to me and brag that their team beat us. It's as if they are so ignorant that they don't realise how many players we were missing, and yet only lost by 2pts.

I just hope they play better in rnd1 then they did against the pies. You gotta admit, apart from the 1st and 4th quarters the eagles did not play all too well.

------------------

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes:
The eagles predictably fell apart with the youngster, as players such as Antonowich, Haynes and co making amateur mistakes.

Is Antonowicz ever going to make the grade in the AFL? Don't forget he played his first AC game with Phil Read.

carneagles

I heard Antonovich is being groomed for CHF. But so are Gaspar and McDougall. As well as Wilson and Sierakowski capable of playing there. So it will be tough for him.

But if he can get just one good game before june he might just be able to retain a regular spot and then his career could really kick off. On the other hand the same could be said about Gaspar and McDougall. So things aren't looking too good for him.

------------------

Also how quicky has this forum picked up with postings....it used to be a graveyard in here but now you can be pretty sure that theres a few new posts. Maybe we should get some of the "better" poster on the WC site to join bigfooty?

Vis, it's great isn't it! The more posts on the Eagles board means the real season isn't too far off and we can discuss more about the best team in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back