Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

What I took out from last night is that the standard of umpiring is worse then last year. They sure like to blow their whistles every minute of the game. Let the players play the game instead of picking out soft free kicks. I also hate how they don’t pay holding the ball yet pay the holding the man after the guy has dropped the ball.

Anyone got a list of players time on the ground?

What happened? Only saw a bit of the last quarter and from that it seemed we were being killed at the contest. Was it like that all night?

Scores seem to indicate another Geelong defensive game like last year. Didn’t we learn from then?

0 wins after 3 games ?
It’s possible.

Top 4 will be very difficult if that happens. Still confident we will make the finals, and win the flag from 5th or 6th.

What happened? Only saw a bit of the last quarter and from that it seemed we were being killed at the contest. Was it like that all night?

Scores seem to indicate another Geelong defensive game like last year. Didn’t we learn from then?
Yes and no

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did we get much footy out of the centre? Last year we were quite poor at centre clearances. These breaks would suite the attacker more now with the 666 😈 rule correct?

When your midfield cant find it, get beat at the contest (pendles, sidey, beams), give away stupid frees (grundy) or butcher it horribly (treloar) it is very difficult to win.

It really was a horrible performance...
and we lost by 7 points.

If they can get their stuff together they will make top 4. The question is will they.

Positives. Moore super. Roughead good. Billy is a star.

Too many ordinary/poor players to mention.

Cant see them turning it around in 6 days.

Anyone got a list of players time on the ground?
In terms of minutes:

113 Roughead
113 Moore
111 Mayne
110 Phillips
107 Maynard
105 Grundy
104 Sidebottom
104 Cox
104 Crisp
103 Howe
103 Mihocek
101 Aish
100 Pendlebury
100 Stephenson
97 DeGoey
97 Beams
95 Treloar
94 Langdon
90 Elliott
90 Thomas
86 Varcoe
79 Brown

What I took out from last night is that the standard of umpiring is worse then last year. They sure like to blow their whistles every minute of the game. Let the players play the game instead of picking out soft free kicks. I also hate how they don’t pay holding the ball yet pay the holding the man after the guy has dropped the ball.
Agree with this. It was a horrible spectacle because of the skills, Geelong's flooding, and the umpiring (both ways).

Some extraordinary melts and over-reactions in this thread.

Crisp was as rusty as i've ever seen, Howe & De Goey not match fit yet, Treloar scrappy (more than usual), JT had a downer, Beams, Sidebottom & Stephenson lacked their usual impact, and we burnt the ball in the forward half.

YET we were in either in the game OR playing the game on our terms most of the day. Maybe Im a glass-half-full kind of guy - but I don't see these players mentioned having as little impact as they did today, into the future.

All I take from this is there is so much upside, no need to panic. IF and When we are playing this way come round 8, then I will start to worry. It is round 1... Take a deep breath and stop making such extreme predictions about the whole season.

You don't make finals/win GF's in round 1. You make finals/win grand finals off a complete body of work throughout an entire season.

Plus Moore looks like an A grade key back we need, Roughead slipped in nicely, and Elliott is back. If the rest of the team lifts to their regular standard, and these players are additions to that, we're only going to get better.

Sorry about the huge message, reading the melts about one game was driving me insane. Everyone chill out, and come and speak to me about our season when we have an actual idea of where we sit - around round 12.

Simon Buckley was never that bad, always felt he was unfairly criticised. The rest were yuck though, chuck in Kirk Ugle and Danny Stanley while you're at it.
Jack Frost and Josh Smith as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back