Prediction Disappointment at the draft

You can't just turn on courage as if it's a tap.

I think you can. (Tho maybe then it stays on.)

If he has sense of pride about himself then the fear of letting himself down again will drive him not to in future. I'm thinking of the courageous players we've seen squib it a bit early in their career then never do it again.

JeanLucGoddard reckons he even saw Stevo do it once in his career v.early on.

Shaw sounds like the sort of people person who might be able to coach that out of someone.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Tarryn as well. Someone posted something today about rotating Ziebell, TT and someone else, maybe Cam Z thru the midfield and forward line and bench.

Its that sort of idea. Could stick Jed thru there too, he can take a contested grab as well.

Small forwards are flavour of the month. Teams will be or already are structuring to defend against them. Medium forwards who can mark, especially with Larkey and Brown as decoys could really take advantage of that. And once we get worked out they're the decoys for Larkey and Brown.

What a potential headfu** for opposition coaches.
Yep I’ve said for a long time once the rotation cap came into play, the day of the full time stay at home small forward was over. Need to be able to rotate through the middle or up the ground unless absolutely subliminal ie/ Lindsay Thomas quality!

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not trying to be too negative but with Father sons and Academy players our earliest pick at 26 will most likely be a pick 30-31- unless we trade up, but then why did we trade pick 8 to begin with.
At this point most/all of the household names we've been hearing about in the draft will be taken so be prepared to wonder who these players are that we're choosing.
It also means that we're likely getting the 'leftovers' at the draft. Obviously they may be good players and some clubs may have later first picks than us but apart from that the majority of the league is at least picking 1 player before north. In essence for key position fillers such as small forward, tall forward, tall defender and pacey mid we're most likely going to get the 3-4th best player in that position who's been overlooked by other clubs looking with similar needs to north.

I see north needing speed this draft with a replacement as tall defender for thompson's spot or at least someone to back up durdin or majak incase they get injured.
1-2 Small x factor speedy forwards, 1-2 pacey gun mids and a tall defender is what I'm hoping for come friday morning.

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts and provide conversation; please don't be abusive just because my opinion is different than yours.

I really don't understand your premise? Yes our picks will push back a little, the same players available will still be... well.... available. The easiest example is TT he was called at eight, we matched and the rest is history. Adelaide then went again. Had the rule been the we nominate TT pre-draft and he joins us and the AFL remove those picks, every club's picks move up the order and by definition are winning.

North would have a cluster of footballers they know will be available, as do all clubs. Am sure as s**t the other clubs do not bank on snaffling a top end talent from an academy ie TT.

I'm pretty sure that the other 17 clubs will all draft better than us because, hey, that suits the negative Nellies around here that like to paint us in a bad light.

So I'm not turning on the telly until Thursday because true to our form we'll draft nothing tomorrow!

tiltraise

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2008
arden street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have traded twice to get into the 25-30 range of this draft. Obviously our recruiting team think this is a hot spot to either pick from or to trade from on the night.

Personally I think the 20-25 or the 30-35 sections both provide better value but I know our guys have put in a lot more work than I so I'll back them in.

Its going to be interesting regardless and I cant wait for Thursday night.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
We have traded twice to get into the 25-30 range of this draft. Obviously our recruiting team think this is a hot spot to either pick from or to trade from on the night.

Personally I think the 20-25 or the 30-35 sections both provide better value but I know our guys have put in a lot more work than I so I'll back them in.

Its going to be interesting regardless and I cant wait for Thursday night.
How is 30-35 better value than 25-30?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I think you can. (Tho maybe then it stays on.)

If he has sense of pride about himself then the fear of letting himself down again will drive him not to in future. I'm thinking of the courageous players we've seen squib it a bit early in their career then never do it again.

JeanLucGoddard reckons he even saw Stevo do it once in his career v.early on.

Shaw sounds like the sort of people person who might be able to coach that out of someone.

Oh I most certainly did see it. Others here have backed it up.

Or to ask recently drafted players if they're disappointed the club they've been edrafted to "missed a big fish".

I'm sure they'll ask Finn Maginess this re Coniglio right.

Right?

What do you reckon about the idea that Stevo was disappointed in himself and as a result resolved to never do anything like that again?

I reckon that's exactly what happened.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Or to ask recently drafted players if they're disappointed the club they've been edrafted to "missed a big fish".

I'm sure they'll ask Finn Maginess this re Coniglio right.

Right?

Or some bumbling twit, let's just randomly say Sarah Olle, can interview Finn and sidetrack his excitement at being drafted into discussing whether Tasmania should have a team or not.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure why we've got so much whinging going on here about trading out our first pick. Plenty of exciting talent towards the top end next year regardless of the compromised nature of it.

Names like Thilthorpe, Hollands, Phillips and O'Driscoll look like excellent prospects at this stage and there's still another full year of development in a bunch of other names that might rise leading to those guys hopefully falling to us.

Check out the Future's game from before the Grand Final which you can catch on YouTube. If we decide (and I hope we do) to hold on to both first round picks for next year we can really set ourselves up for sustained success with 2 quality youngers (in addition to those we pick up this year that end up making the grade)

Back