Prediction Disappointment at the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at the positives, nothing can be worse then:

1) Drafting 3 KPD's with our 1st, 2nd & 3rd picks in 2014

2) Drafting 2 unknown Qlder's with 2nd round picks in 2016

Thank god Joyce and Scott are no running the show...

FYI Picks 16, 25, 34, 36 & 36

3 Delisted
1 Constantly Injured
1 5 years on still an unknown of if he will make 100 games

2015 draftee Mitch Hibberd, according to Williamstown coach Andrew Collins.

Andrew Collins said: “One of the most, if not the most, professional kid I’ve coached, and that’s saying a lot. His training methods, his self-discipline around his training methods, he’s got a real life balance — he can be a cheeky little larrikin at times — and playing as midfielder rather than a half back, he’s very much in the mould of a Sam Menegola. He surprised the hell out of me. He’s a tackling beast. He just loves to hit blokes, loves the physical element of the game, whether it’s the contest or the running capacity. He’s our highest GPS runner. He could make an impact (in the AFL) straight away.’’

2015 draftee Mitch Hibberd, according to Williamstown coach Andrew Collins.

Andrew Collins said: “One of the most, if not the most, professional kid I’ve coached, and that’s saying a lot. His training methods, his self-discipline around his training methods, he’s got a real life balance — he can be a cheeky little larrikin at times — and playing as midfielder rather than a half back, he’s very much in the mould of a Sam Menegola. He surprised the hell out of me. He’s a tackling beast. He just loves to hit blokes, loves the physical element of the game, whether it’s the contest or the running capacity. He’s our highest GPS runner. He could make an impact (in the AFL) straight away.’’
Lets get him back ala Daniel Pratt.

I'll never forget the year we got Atley and Harper.

'We were gonna take Harper with the pick we took Atley with, can't believe Atley slid, and then Harper slid too, what a steal'.

Man I was excited about the future back then.

These days, well, can the kid speak well? Does he come from a good family?

Perhaps I've been Bradss Scotts'ed.

I'll never forget the year we got Atley and Harper.

'We were gonna take Harper with the pick we took Atley with, can't believe Atley slid, and then Harper slid too, what a steal'.

Man I was excited about the future back then.

These days, well, can the kid speak well? Does he come from a good family?

Perhaps I've been Bradss Scotts'ed.
Not happy with Atley? At the risk of raising Groin Guru's ire, Steve Saunders ruined Harper. The kid did play 40 games in his first two seasons and nobody was complaining then.

Not happy with Atley? At the risk of raising Groin Guru's ire, Steve Saunders ruined Harper. The kid did play 40 games in his first two seasons and nobody was complaining then.
Atley has come good, I'm sure most on this forum would agree with that. Took him a long time but he is best 15, maybe even best 10 at times now.

As for Harper, I'll never forget that length-of-the-ground run and goal against a then-hapless Richmond.

Boy how things have changed since then.

As an aside, imagine if Cyril or Buddy did that. The channel 7 commentary team would lose their s**t.

Atley has come good, I'm sure most on this forum would agree with that. Took him a long time but he is best 15, maybe even best 10 at times now.

As for Harper, I'll never forget that length-of-the-ground run and goal against a then-hapless Richmond.

As an aside, imagine if Cyril or Buddy did that. The channel 7 commentary team would lose their s**t.

Remembered for the s**t commentary, as much as the goal itself. Disgraceful.

I'd be a lot happier with Atley if he was best 15, maybe even best 5 at times.

He was this year when we were shite, to his credit. I don't understand the knocks on Atley to be honest. He doesn't drop his head or stop trying. Is consistent, alot harder than people think and has good skills. Lots of the crap about his rabbit in the headlights moments probably come from lack of fellow quicks. (Tho i reckon he's lost a yard or two.) Often when he needed someone running with him there was no one up to it (or allowed to maybe) running in lines at that speed is good.

We had moments last season when Ats linked up with Hall, LDU, TT and Polec or more than one of them in a run and it was great. Not enough of it tho. It was like Scott was trying to do the run in waves and break lines thing but just didn't understand it ... so they'd set off and run 3/4 of the way across HBF (at right angles to the goal!!) linking up then go forward. In one of those passages of play ATs had three of four possies and didn't cross half back. It was bizarre but we did score iirc.

I reckon that's exactly what happened.

Thinking about this a bit more I wonder if it was all Stevo or also the influence of Pagan. Dunno if Scott was that sort of coach but I think Shaw might be. In that context I'm not so worried about LDU. I did see a few of the things people mention but also enough of the opposite (and alot more of it) that I think he's not a squib. I think fitness will help too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is this Steve Saunders you talk about? I can only recall a Steves Saunder at the club. :stern look

And have a collective crank whilst at it. :stern look

I'm not sure what to think with the draft. Either the recruiting team absolutely ballsed it up or everyone on Big Footy has no idea about this year's talent because s**t we were way off on what was wanted versus picked.

Look at the positives, nothing can be worse then:

1) Drafting 3 KPD's with our 1st, 2nd & 3rd picks in 2014

2) Drafting 2 unknown Qlder's with 2nd round picks in 2016

Thank god Joyce and Scott are no running the show...
Yeah otherwise if both were still there after the draft Tonight we would become the outright favourites for the spoon

Well I'm very disappointed.

I have no idea who any of our recruits are.

I'm sure draft "experts" on other boards have killed it.

Every club has killed the draft.

Sliders, bargains it's like going to a Supermarket. Everything is excellent until you try it.

Yes. I'm now rapt.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Who they picked: 31. Charlie Comben (Gippsland Power), 34. Jack Mahony (Sandringham Dragons), 35. Flynn Perez (Bendigo Pioneers)
ROOS' DRAFT HAUL Highlights and bios of your club's newest players
What the club says: "We felt the draft was really even and it gave us a great opportunity to pick a few different types. To pick a tall (Charlie Comben), (then) we've got Flynn (Perez) who can play a bit of half-back and wing, then Jack Mahony can play multiple roles, we think they're really versatile players for us." - North Melbourne national recruiting manager Mark Finnigan
Verdict: In an even draft, the Roos approached it wanting to bolster different areas: key-position depth, small forward depth and speed. Tick, tick, tick. The Roos' first pick ended up being Comben, a ruck/forward who has sticky hands and a lot of upside. Todd Goldstein has a stranglehold on the ruck role at North for some time, but Comben can develop as a forward, with the cupboard not full of tall targets in attack. North moved back a spot down the order and got a future second-round pick for the swap, which was a great result, before drafting Comben. Mahony shapes as a clever and crafty small forward with tidy skills, while Perez's pace and ball use off half-back made him an appealing option for the Roos. With three picks within five selections, the Roos were able to target the trio and confidently land who they wanted at this stage of the pool. - Callum Twomey

Clean up on aisle 4.

...sob

I thought we were on our way to a Flag that day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back