Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, Chi Bears, Chi Cubs
Over at the CCSLC there's a fantasy footy league, and I've been a part of it for seven years now. Ironically enough, I wound up replacing ol' Mero...anyways, my club is the Milwaukee Robins, and the colors are navy, scarlet, cream and robin egg blue (in other words, teal), and I'll post the regular jumpers in a few days, as I haven't converted them to my new template yet...anyways, every season, I've used a two-off patriotic jumper for Memorial Day weekend and the Fourth of July, and as you see, essentially chose the least patriotic color available, hence its "Teal Glory" moniker. This year's is loosely based on the US Air Force roundel.
robinstealglory12.png

The tale behind the parrot head....well, back in 2004 I'd created concepts for every NHL team that folded before the expansion era, among them the Pittsburgh hockey Pirates. I wound up liking the parrot head I'd created for that set so much it's been my avatar at Creamer's ever since. Anyways, figured it's been a little while since I last posted anything half decent, the whole thing is based on a hockey set I never got around to posting, and I figured I may as well utilise a proper name (so Steel City AFC it was), and while I was at it, Pittsburgh-related sponsorship. Yeh, even the big parrot face jumper was partially inspired by hockey, as the now-defunct Lewiston Maineiacs MAINEiacs had a somewhat similar sweater as an alt.
parrotfooty.png

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Alright, here goes the Robins' regular set.
robins2012-1.png

The home jumper, I've used in some form for the club's entire existence, and is based on the Eagles' winged jumpers. This year is the first I'm using a red back, every season before used a blue back. The away jumper...you could argue I don't need one, but I generally choose to have one anyway. Admittedly, I've had better in past years. Lastly, the clash...I've had a hooped jumper almost as long as I've had the wings, though usually the hoops are mainly navy and orange/red, and occasionally cream/navy. Decided to try a slightly different direction this year, so I went with cream and a lighter version of the teal as the main colors.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A few more fantasy sets for ya....
Chanticleer AFC of New Orleans
cockerelfooty-1.png

Yes, I did basically model this after a hypothetical French national uniform. Fitting, as I'd designed the cockerel head years ago with the French in mind. Figured the thin diagonal stripe would be a distinct touch, and the third is modeled after an old North clash.

Jumbos AFC of Greater Boston
elephantfooty.png

Oddly enough, I originally designed the elephant head used here for an Oakland A's concept, seeing as they're one of only a handful that have a pachyderm mascot. And the fauxback jumper was originally gonna be the home. I know, purple's not exactly the most Bostonish color, but I'd wanted to use a purple/sky blue scheme for some time now, and figured now as as good a time as any. Home is basic stripes, away is lavender with purple pinstripes for the sake of being weird, and the fauxback bears more resemblance to a Victorian-era soccer shirt, with its many stripes.

Southwest Virginia AFC of Roanoake, Va.
turkeyfooty.png

Yes...this is a turkey. Yes, even by my own admission the clash and third look weird. Oh well, weird tends to be what I do. And yes, I'll have to figure something else out the next time I wanna do Virginia Tech.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Zeeland East HS (Michigan) Chix
chixfooty-1.png

Zeeland's main claim to fame is the hatchery business, hence the name Chix. No, this isn't their real logo, it's one of my own creation that I'd first thrown together several years ago when I first heard of their unusual name. Anyway, as you can see the home is a big Z. The clash is heavily influenced by the many hockey concepts I've done at Creamer's, and the third was simply worth taking a stab at it. The multicolored sash: IMO underused, much like braces.

Omegaville

Club Legend
May 8, 2010
Croydon
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg FC, Melb Vixens, Renegades
The birds remind me of Angry Birds :)
These are great though... they're clean lines and not dominated by wordmarks like most American sports kits are. Keep 'em coming.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ever since I started visting Mero's site, I've been fascinated by the old State of Origin concept, and have dabbled with US State and world City of Origin jumpers in the past. Figured I may as well give Origin a go, so here goes Texas
texassoo12.png

A hodgepodge of Texan flags inspired both sets...the home is, of course, based on the famed Lone Star flag. The clash is based on a flag that "Father of Texas" Stephen F. Austin had designed in the winter of 1835-36. The right cuff being red on both jumpers is a reference to the Goliad "Bloody Arm" flag, one of many that had been flown when Texas declared its independence from Mexico. The bit over the number is taken from the "Come and Take It" flag, which was flown in a battle over a cannon Mexico had given Texas as a gift but wanted back.

next up,Florida
floridasoo12.png

You think of Florida, you think of oranges, among other things. Loosely inspired by Victoria's big V, the home guernsey has a palm leaf vee, and a watermarked Florida map beneath the numbers. The stylized hoops on the clash are also loosely inspired by palm leaves.

third up, Nevada
nevadasoo12.png

Nowadays, best known for being the state Las Vegas is located in. May as well explain the color choice: gold and silver mining are among the state's largest industries, and I like hoops. Alternatively, the silver is also in reference to Nevada's nickname, the Silver State, while you could interpret gold for Vegas. The clash is solid blue, a nod to its state bird, the Mountain Bluebird...hey, it works for Norwood. Above the numbers is Nevada's other nickname, Battle Born, as it became a state during the Civil War.

last for now, home sweet home
wisconsinsoo12.png

The flag, as mentioned, is simply a concept flag a comrade from CCSLC designed a few years ago, as our real flag is simply a blue field with the state's seal in the middle, WISCONSIN on top and 1848 on the bottom. Something I wouldn't shed any tears over were it retired today. Anyways, the shield on the flag, which is also on the home jumper and used as a number plate on both, is used on our state highway signage (without the stars, of course). The blue represents Lakes Superior and Michigan, as well as the numerous small lakes within the state, while the green represents the forests. The diagonal's direction represents the state motto, Forward. The stars represent Wisconsin's major industries: tourism, agriculture, transportation, health care and manufacturing; the thirty points also represent Wisconsin's status as the 30th state.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
More Yank Origin for ya...
The Last Frontier: Alaska
alaskasoo12.png

Alaska's flag is rather simple, yet damn cool, as it simply features the Big Dipper, a prominent part of the constellation Ursa Major, and the North Star. That considered, the home jumper was a no brainer. The clash....well, Alaska's known for being cold as hell, hence the white and light blue. The hoops are curved slightly, and appear to be rising, a small nod to a phenomenon known as the Midnight Sun.
Number significance: 49-Alaska was the 49th state admitted to the union...technically, it's tied with Hawaii, but they go by alphabetical order in case of a tie.

Where damn near everybody goes for a vacation: Hawaii
hawaiisoo12.png

The home jumper is based on what has been claimed to be King Kamehameha III's personal colors, from back when Hawaii was a kingdom, and honestly, it just seemed more fitting of a Hawaiian selection. The clash is based on the state flag. An Adelaide-style template felt like the best fit.
Number significance: 9-there are 137 Hawaiian islands, but only 9 are inhabited; 50-Hawaii is the 50th US state

Where a boatload of folks move to after retiring: Arizona
arizonasoo12.png

Both jumpers use a dark blue vee yoke featuring an inner V based on the Arizona flag. The home jumper is copper, in homage to the copper mining industry. The clash is turquoise, as where you find copper, you'll often find turquoise.

Rocky Mountain High...Colorado
coloradosoo12.png

Colorado is best known for the Rocky Mountains, which run through a good chunk of western Canada and the western US, and in certain lights, the Rockies appear purplish (for any baseball fans out there, if you ever wondered why the Colorado Rockies are the Rockies, and why they chose purple, now ya know). That in mind, I figured a purple jumper would be the best fit here, seeing as I'm almost never in the mood to make white a first choice and I'll be doing plenty of blue jumpers, may as well tread off the beaten path a bit.

Omegaville

Club Legend
May 8, 2010
Croydon
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg FC, Melb Vixens, Renegades
Your version of Hawaii's jumpers are probably what I should have ended up using for the FFL comp. Well, the home jumper, anyway.

Loving the use of the road-sign font for the numbers.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gone for a lil while, back in action. Rhode Island
rhodeislandsoo12.png

Lil' Rhody's first choice is dark red after its state bird, the Rhode Island Red chicken. The striping pattern was based on an old ice hockey team, the Providence/Rhode Island Reds, who played until the late 70s IIRC. Freo was the muse for the clash, as Rhode Island's flag features an anchor, and to keep the nautical theme afloat, signal flags spelling "RI" are on the chest and shorts, while flags spelling HOPE (RI's motto) are above the numbers.

New York
newyorksoo12.png

New York the state is frequently overshadowed by New York the city. In any event, the color and striping choices are based on two NY state symbols: the red home and light green clash are common apple colors (state fruit), while if the striping reminds you of a beaver, it should, as the wood-addicted rodent is NY's state mammal.

Pennsylvania
pennsylvaniasoo12.png

Combining Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (black for Pittsburgh, light blue for Philly, both share gold). A St. Kilda style home jumper seemed to be the best choice, and the Saints influence continues on the clash, though modified so that the gold portion resembles a keystone (the Keystone State is Pennsylvania's nickname)

And now I bring you something a bit different: City of Origin, starting with Amsterdam
amsterdamcoo12.png

Triple X...Amsterdam has used the triple X as its civic symbol for centuries, long before it became known for...well, you already know. Home is basically an inverse Essendon with x's, clash has a big X outline, and the third gives ya a small nod to lace-up guernseys, as well as shadow x's all over.

Last for now, New Amsterdam New York
newyorkcoo12.png
The City this time...NYC's flag is a blue, white and orange tricolor, and the Knicks and Mets are strongly associated with said colors (as are the Islanders, though they generally aren't considered an NYC team despite their name). The home is based off of that, the clash is predominantly orange with blue pinstripes, a nod to the Yankees and Mets. The third is basically the Amsterdam third without the shadow x's, and in sky blue, blue and a bit of orange, as even old New York was once New Amsterdam, why they changed it I can't say, maybe they liked it better that way

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
only one tonight: Indiana
indianasoo12.png

First thing I think of with Indiana is the Indy 500, so the home guernsey is a black and white checkerboard. The away is green with a checkered V. Gentlemen, start your engines.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Alright, some more State of Origin...first, Maine
mainesoo12.png

The state of Maine has a shitload of lighthouses. The easternmost of them, which doubles as the easternmost point in the US, is the West Quoddy Head Light, the livery of which I based the home jumper upon.
180px-WestQuoddyLighthouse2.JPG

The clash is intended to resemble a pine tree, as Maine's official nickname is the Pine Tree State. Rather straightforward. The little word above the numbers is Dirigo, which is Latin for "I Guide" and is Maine's state motto.

Sweet Home Alabama
alabamasoo12.png

Alabama has a pretty simple flag, white with a red saltire. While I felt I could base the clash off of it, I figured something else would have to be the first choice. Why? Because as a general rule of thumb, if you're a sports team in the state of Alabama, it's in your best interests to not resemble either the Alabama Crimson Tide or Auburn Tigers in any way. After junking several ideas that never even made it to paper, I decided to base the home on Bama's state bird, the yellowhammer...and to clarify, in most places, this is a yellowhammer. The yellow is obvious, the "hammer," not so much.
250px-Emberiza_citrinella_-New_Zealand_-North_Island-8.jpg

In the American South, however, this is a yellowhammer, otherwise known as the yellow-shafted flicker. The yellow's not as obvious when it's not flying, but the hammer is rather obvious, what with being a woodpecker. Its western cousin is known as the red-shafted flicker, or redhammer (the most notable difference, naturally, replace all the yellow with red. Males also have a red mustache, as opposed to the yellowhammer's black stache).
yellow_shafted_flicker2.jpg

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Some more origin...first, the Commonwealth of Kentucky
kentuckysoo12.png

The Richmond-like home jumper is based on the racing silks of the legendary thoroughbred Man o' War, who won all but one race before going to stud, but never ran in the Kentucky Derby as his owner disliked racing there and felt Man o' War was a bit too young to handle a race of that length at the time. The clash uses a checkered racing stripe on the right side, in homage to another famed racehorse, Triple Crown winner Secretariat (the silks associated with him used full blue/white checkers on the torso, but I decided against that as it'd look too similar to Indiana's home).

California
californiasoo12.png

The Bear flag was first raised in defiance against Mexico, as dissidents in what had been known as Alta California took over the Mexican garrison of Sonoma and raised a homemade flag to symbolize their taking control. While very few people actually knew the revolt had happened, with a few tweaks over the years, that homemade flag lives on, and is what both jumpers are based on. Sadly, the particular species of bear depicted, the California grizzly aka the golden bear, has been extinct for 90 years.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
had to step away from concepts for a little while, but here we go with Tennessee
tennesseesoo12_zpsa6a80647.png

Tennessee is known as the Volunteer State, and the stars within the roundel on its flag make a V (the Tennessee Titans have the stars in both their flaming thumbtack and sword logos, but have it upside down and never bothered to get that part right.) As for the jumpers, I figure I could've gone with V's if I wanted to, but figured a racing stripe would do the trick just fine.

And now here we go with Georgia
georgiasoo12_zps32743d63.png

Historically, Georgia does peaches. I figured two-tone peach would be fitting here...who but Georgia? I figured green would make for a good complement, but struggled with the shade for a bit before deciding on the Philly Eagles' green.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Like the players, I took an offseason break. Damned if I remember why I did. Anyways, I may as well just have one thread like normal people..here go my latest collegians...first, Wichita State
wichitafooty.png

Wichita State, rather unusually for an American university, is best known for its baseball prowess, though they've fallen off a bit in the last decade. "Shockers" refers not to electricity here, but to wheatshocking. There's plenty of wheat in Kansas. Thus, plenty of shocking to be done. Anyways, the first jumper is based on Wichita's city flag, a rather distinct looking piece of work. The third jumper, I'd actually thought up first, and stop me if you've heard this one before, I was inspired by a rather obscure hockey jersey. The clash incorporates the wheat into stripes.

Then, for you college basketball fans out there, Gonzaga
gonzagafooty.png

Much like I figure most folks still call the Western Bulldogs Footscray (dumbest name change ever), officially Gonzaga's sports teams are the Bulldogs, but everybody calls em the Zags. You can take a wild guess what inspired my ode to the zigzag. Figured the clash and third would be good times to sneak in some specialized nods to their fellow Dogs. May have taken it a bit far, but heh, it's what I do.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
...and here goes an Origin set I thought I'd posted here but didn't, Washington D.C.
washingtondcsoo12.png

George Washington's family coat of arms, off of which DC's flag is also based, inspired this one. I would've used black shorts for the home, but when I finished the clash, they no longer fit in, really. The clash colors of buff and blue were used by the Continental Army, and are a nod to Washington continuing to wear his general's uniform even after becoming the first U.S. President.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
meant to have this one ready for St. Pat's, but anyways, hope yall weren't too hungover. Here goes Notre Dame...first, beige clash version
notredamefooty.png

Next, basically the same, but mint green clash.
notredamefooty2.png

Both pale hues are a shoutout to former ND basketball coach Digger Phelps, who was known for changing his team's uniforms every couple years some of em more out there than others (most famously a gold uniform with a big shamrock on the right chest, blue numbers, and matching blue/green Chuck Taylors with gold laces...nearly as infamously, a lime green/navy number that so horrified ND's higher ups that they purged nearly all evidence of its existence-only one of that jersey set exists, the rest were destroyed). In this case, in the late 70s, Digger'd been told that pure white didn't look good on the TVs of the time, and he apparently agreed, first rolling out mint green home uniforms for a few years, then beige for a few years after that. I mainly wanted to see what both colors would look like substituting for white.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Been away for a minute, but here I go again. Not sure where else to put this one, but here goes an actual club: Queanbeyan

honestly, I kinda wish I'd saved the home jumper's idea for a Richmond clash. That said, what's done is done.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Michigan

The vintage is based on that explosion of stripes they wore against Notre Dame a few years back, complete with throwback M. Home combines a vee and stripes to mimic gridiron's famous helmet design. Clash inspired by one of the lesser known Green Lantern characters, Guy Gardner.

Wisconsin

Because the world needs more Bucky

Nebraska-Omaha

Because the braces I used in the Notre Dame concept, I thought would make a good first choice for somebody else. UNO was that somebody else.

Michigan Tech

The gold bit on the home jumper is a map of Yooper Upper Michigan.

IUPUI (Indiana-Purdue Indianapolis is a mouthful, hence Ooey Pooey IUPUI)

Figured a harlequin design would work well as a third here.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I don't do crossovers very often, but I was bored a few weeks ago and this is the result.
cowboysfooty13.png

Seeing as the throwbacks are based on the early 60s uniform, it'd be a nice touch to use period appropriate sponsor logos. Couldn't truly accomplish this with AT&T, as they were still going by Bell back then, but eh.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
As the old saying goes, I've been gone for a little while, but I'll always be back...anyways, have you ever heard of the same two teams contesting every Grand Final or championship match seven years in a row? I have. The only reason I didn't say nine in a row is because my old school had a down year in '12 and missed the playoffs.

Anyways, while the major colleges will be trying to get into a four-team playoff next season, the smaller schools (divided into 1-AA/FCS, Div. 2 and Div. 3) have been holding larger playoffs since the 1970s. Oddly, D3's title game is the only one with a cool name (Stagg Bowl, named after pioneering coach Amos Alonzo Stagg). A peculiar thing has happened in the last decade, though: a two-school dominance rarely seen at any college level. A probable record, the aforementioned 7 Stagg Bowl meetings in a row,and including this year, 8 out of the last 9.

Here goes Mount Union...
mountunionfooty.png

The purple team with the longer spell of dominance, as they've won 11 national titles and 22 straight conference championships. The home purple, I opted for a UMU monogram I'd whipped up, and the hooped clash jumper utilizes a much smaller UMU. The black jumper is based on what I liked to think of as Mount's gridiron tradition of wearing black during the playoffs, and the roundel I used on the front is based on a similar emblem that graced their shoulders.
pierre_garcon_2007_11_30.jpg

And now I present to you my former school, five time D3 football champion University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
uwwfooty.png

Yeah, I very well know whose logo ours looks like. Anyway, I went with a double W motif on all three, as the main feature of the purples and blacks, and as side panels on the white clash. And just like Mount, to mimic real life, there's a black jumper.

Back