Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, Chi Bears, Chi Cubs
New batch from the factory...leading off, East Carolina
ecufooty.png

I figure they thought "East North Carolina" would be too much of a mouthful. In any case, hoops just make me think of pirates.

Seton Hall
setonhallfooty.png

Best known for basketball, and making people wonder what a Seton is...in any case, I was looking around Historical Futbol Kits a few days back, and noticed a certain Nike shirt many English clubs have adopted recently. The home and clash are based off of that. Vintage parrots pre-VFL North. And the lettering on the fronts is meant to be kinda like those older logos on the sash of Essendon's 140th anniversary one-off, you'd see it close up but it'd be out of the way from most distances.

Three for free, Lehigh
lehighfooty.png

I figured one thing...for some reason, a lot of folks like FC St. Pauli. Those guys made two-tone brown work, I figured I'd go that route here, and for the hell of it make an all gold version as a one-off.

Cleanup hitting, Fresno State
fresnostatefooty.png

Fresno State's colors are red and blue. So why the green V? To represent their home area, the San Fernando Valley. The green jumper, the blue portion was loosely based on a concept I remember from over a decade ago when I frequented a few NHL series mod boards.

Louisville...going Lastdiculous
louisvillefooty.png

Home is your semi-standard WCE knockoff, and with the substitution of black for navy and the semi-BS inspiration of a cardinal's face, the clash is an inverse Dees. The third is loosely inspired by U of L's old mascot logo, a mad cardinal whose white sweater bore a huge red L and two stripes on the right sleeve. Since I've never bothered with a long sleeve template, I place the stripes on the right side of the collar.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New batch...first up, the ramblin' wreck of Georgia Tech and a helluvan engineer...
gatechfooty14.png

The home and clash both use an admittedly stereotypical hive pattern, intended to be rather subtle. The vintage set, essentially is one part 1890s chamois reinforcing, one part Olde English soccer with the thinner-than-modern hoops...the abbreviated Ga. Tech is somewhat of an anachronism, but in the era when baseball teams began wearing city names on their jerseys, some of the longer cities tended to get abbreviated (the full word "Philadelphia," for instance, has never appeared on either a Phillies jersey, and has only appeared once on a Sixers jersey [that gradient mess they wore in the early 90s]), in this case I figured it'd have been more likely for "Georgia" to be abbreviated.

From the hometown of that Lebron guy, Akron
akronfooty.png

Akron's teams are called the Zips, which was originally short for Zippers. Naturally, their mascot is a...kangaroo? Yes, a kangaroo. Why, you may ask?
Marc's Collection of Mascots said:
"Zippy" the kangaroo was officially declared Akron's mascot on May 1, 1953. The "Zips" name was adopted in 1925. A committee to suggest a mascot recommended the kangaroo and it was approved by the student council. At first much resentment and apathy surrounded the decision, which was made without the benefit of a campuswide vote. Defenders of the kangaroo countered with, "it is an animal that is fast, agile and powerful with undying determination - all the necessary qualities of an athlete."

For the whys of the designs, the first choice's circular stripes are meant to be the outlines of a tire, given Akron's historical association with rubber in general, and tires, especially Goodyears, in particular. The clash is gold, with an off-center road that a roo is crossing. The fauxback jumper was initially going to simply be navy/yellow stripes with no quirks, but then I decided to see about perhaps tracing a zipper. Wouldn't have been a sporting first, as zipper-front baseball jerseys were rather popular in the 40s and 50s, but a nice break from the laces usually used in such instances. Turns out the Zips gridders had the same idea, having used a zipper helmet stripe this past season, and as luck would have it, I found a jpeg of it rather quickly. Much like the laces on damn near every heritage jumper, though, the zipper's merely printed here.

Deep in the heart of Texas
texasfooty14.png

For the most part, U. Texas teams tend towards traditional, or at least understated, uniforms, due in large part to using a distinct shade of orange. Others may call their own orange "burnt," but ask most Americans, "burnt orange" is what Texas wears, anybody else's shades (Virginia Tech, Clemson, the Chicago Bears, et al) are largely indistinguishable from normal orange. With this in mind, the home is basically all orange, only adorned with a big longhorn. Braces, a criminally underused striping pattern, are used on the clash. Like GT, the fauxback uses chamois reinforcing, though in this case the shoulders are cowboy-flavored. An idea I got from some older baseball jerseys makes its way here, with a customized pocket on the left chest.

Stony Brook
stonybrookfooty14.png

Stony Brook's a somewhat obscure Division 1 school, the type most folks will never post a concept for. I like the wave/wolf combo, however, so here we go. You can tell I had something like GC in mind.

Western Carolina
wcufooty.png

Like East Carolina, "Western North Carolina" probably would've been a mouthful...and what's a catamount? A cat of the mountains, naturally. Much like with Lehigh, I wound up using a second, darker purple here.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New stuff...in the world of college hockey, Boston's four major universities annually do battle in the Beanpot tournament, and for some time I'd wanted to post a footy version, so here we go.
Boston College...the first choice WCE ripoff is probably more ho-hum to Aussies than it is to Americans...though I would've given the wings more detail were I not aiming for a fauxback. To be blunt, I was hearing so damn much about this "College Vault" that I had to see for myself, and found this older BC eagle there, among others.
beanpotfootybc.png

Boston University-I figured I'd make a semi-distinct take on hoops here
beanpotfootybostonu.png

Harvard...basically, the idea of using side panels and a thick chest stripe to form a big H simply refused to go away.
beanpotfootyharvard.png

Northeastern...the diagonal split, a la Monaco...the husky on the red side would be more subtle if I had this made for real, something like what Essendon did for their anniversary jumper a couple years ago.
beanpotfootyneastern.png

and non-Beanpot, Louisiana-Monroe...the home and clash go with a thunderbolt/flight theme, as the warhawk is holding a bolt, and the third is meant to resemble a bomber jacket.
ulmfooty.png

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Thanks...These've been a while in coming, but here goes a new batch...first, I give you Murray State from Kentucky. Given their emblem is a jockey on a racehorse, the home and clash both use motifs frequently seen on jockeys: a blue and gold checkerboard for the former, and white and gold diamonds for the latter, complete with matching socks. A Croatia World Cup t-shirt I saw several months ago inspired the checker sash on the tertiary jumper.
murraystfooty.png

Next up is Idaho State, largely because I'd long felt their bengal head was kinda weird. So I decided to try some s**t. The first choice, as you can see, is what happens when you take an older variant of Geelong's hoops, a Carlton-esque monogram and an extended version of the Lions' yoke, then put the whole thing in a blender. The off center tiger on the black jumper, I simply felt it looked kinda good that way. The third is based on Geelong's first white/blue jumper, but with orange replacing blue.
idahostatefooty.png

Now up, the Uni of Texas at El Paso, which given that all of that is a mouthful, is usually called UTEP. The first choice is a shameless ripoff of GC's white/blue jumper, as El Paso is home to the Sun Bowl game (played in the Sun Bowl stadium, naturally), the clash has a miner traversing mountains, and the third is a modified take on the Texas flag.
utepfooty.png

Fourth up is a school that come June, will no longer exist in its current form, Texas-Pan American. UTPA will be merging with smaller neighbor UT-Brownsville, and the new school will be known as the U. of Texas at Rio Grande Valley, or UTRGV for short. UTPA folks wanted to at least keep their mascot, the Broncs, but Brownsville folks did not, and wanted to start anew (they weren't particularly attached to their existing mascot, the relatively recently adopted Ocelots). Much to the ire of the UTPA faithful, the board decided to start anew, so UTRGV will be known as the Vaqueros (Spanish for cowboys). I can't remember if I'd posted this one here or not, so what you're seeing here is what is likely the only UT-Pan American concept I will ever make, let alone see. On the home and clash, I'd included a chest pocket mainly for the hell of it. This fauxback, unlike those I usually favor, is intended to look like it came out of the late 60s or 70s. You can blame the horse's weird pose on Texans being weird or something :p
utpafooty14.png

Last but not least, West Virginia...figured a mountain theme would work best here, and for the heck of it, included a fauxback featuring a Yankees-like WV monogram, formerly worn by WVU's baseballers (college baseball teams having at least one logo, letter or monogram distinct from the rest of their respective schools' teams is actually fairly common.)
westvafooty.png

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Thanks for the likes...in this case, to quote Will Smith, a few posts above, old and busted. Below...new hotness.

Akron...I've had the idea of whitewall tires in my mind's eye for a minute, and felt the fauxback needed a tweak so the zipper looked more believable, so I did both. Akron, whitewalls edition.
akronfooty15.png

Broncs out, Vaqueros in. As they say, yippe yi ki yay!
utrgvfooty15.png

TGDesigns

Senior List
Oct 20, 2014
Melbourne, Vic.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd, Colts, Bulls (NBA)
If there was American college football (Australian rules), they would be awesome concepts. And an American state of origin AFL style would be an interesting concept too.

Keep up the good work, Discrim!

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I give you the North Texas Mean Green
northtexasfooty.png

I could've taken the easy way and used black and white as secondary colors. This, however, is three tone green: their usual kelly green, an almost black shade of green as the second green, then finally an almost white green as the lightest shade.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Well, back to the factory...first up, Loyola Marymount (Los Angeles)
loyolamarymountfooty.png

Second up, one of the more obscure schools in Division I, Longwood (Farmville, Virginia)
longwoodfooty.png

Next up, I give you UAB (Birmingham, Alabama)
uabfooty.png

Might as well explain the #FreeUAB hashtag...in a nutshell, the University of Alabama board of trustees shut down UAB football, and everything about it seemed shady (among other things, it seems like nobody's even trying to maintain cavernous Legion Field, which is why UAB wanted to build a smaller on-campus stadium instead. For some reason, the boys in Tuscaloosa saw that as a threat, so they've long blocked UAB from doing so. Like I said, shady). Almost FIFA-level blatant. A few days ago though, they announced that the Blazers will take the gridiron again, re-starting next year. The whole thing is weird.

Anyway, last but not least is the first Canadian university I've ever done...the Carleton U Ravens
carletonfooty.png

The seemingly random red is often used as a trim color by Carleton's teams

edited because I'd accidentally posted before I could actually finish writing

Last edited:

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Here goes Southern Miss, the alma mater of one Brett Lorenzo Favre
southernmissfooty15.png

I didn't want just another WCE ripoff...but then I sort of did. The third was inspired by some of Puma's futbol shirts, and I used faux gradient for the stripes (I mainly call it faux because I stopped using fill in gradients years ago)

Here also goes San Diego State
sdsuaztecsfooty15.png

The first choice, I've arranged Aztec spears like goal and behind posts; given the colors, something Bomber inspired seemed like an appropriate clash. The vintage is something I imagine would've been in use during the early 90s, given I based the striping on what Marshall Faulk wore in his time there.

Hey man. Loving the stuff here! Just a question, what's the footy league? I'm a member over there.
Over at the CCSLC there's a fantasy footy league, and I've been a part of it for seven years now.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
To answer the question, the WAFA (World Australian Football Association)...I might find myself in charge of it for next season, I'll admit you if I am, and will put in a good word if I'm passed over (and I'm honestly hoping for the latter, given I've run my team rather poorly the last couple seasons, and have never run a league...but I've been in the league the longest, and I don't think anybody else will nominate themselves).

in any event, I give you the UCF Knights...the diagonal is modeled after a knight's lance
ucffooty15.png

Drake University...their claim to fame is the Drake Relays, and that largely inspired the home/clash design.
drakebulldogsfooty15.png

Xavier University...the lone major X school, thus the letter X is pretty prominent. Especially in using two sashes to make an X.
xavierfooty15.png

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
We run concurrently with the regular season, with our finals in August, and we're using Ultimate Footy (one member used to do our scorekeeping, though he left a few years back, and we went to UF out of convenience before this past season). After we get who the CEO for next year is sorted out, we'll probably be looking for 2-4 new members, that'll be early December at the latest I think.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Well, I am not the new CEO of my fantasy league, fumbler still is. To celebrate the successful failure of my campaign, some new s**t.

Dayton Flyers
daytonflyersfooty15.png

U. of North Florida (UNF for brevity) Ospreys
northfloridafooty15.png

California-Irvine (UC-Irvine for brevity) Anteaters
ucirvineooty15.png

Mormon U, aka the Brigham Young Cougars
byufooty.png

Most clubs are honest about what their colors are. BYU, by this standard, is in fantasy land. About 15 years ago, BYU started wearing navy blue. Thing is, they claimed they were still wearing royal blue, simply the "darkest shade of royal blue." Riiight...and when Carlton wears a clash, they're in the palest shade of navy blue:rolleyes:

Well, I am not the new CEO of my fantasy league, fumbler still is. To celebrate the successful failure of my campaign, some new s**t.

Dayton Flyers
daytonflyersfooty15.png

U. of North Florida (UNF for brevity) Ospreys
northfloridafooty15.png

California-Irvine (UC-Irvine for brevity) Anteaters
ucirvineooty15.png

Mormon U, aka the Brigham Young Cougars
byufooty.png

Most clubs are honest about what their colors are. BYU, by this standard, is in fantasy land. About 15 years ago, BYU started wearing navy blue. Thing is, they claimed they were still wearing royal blue, simply the "darkest shade of royal blue." Riiight...and when Carlton wears a clash, they're in the palest shade of navy blue:rolleyes:

You can be CEO if you want and i'll just help out, i am going to be pretty busy now i'm captain of the Furies again.

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
There's a lot of new stuff I worked on over Christmas and the new year...a few days ago, my internet provider was crapping out, then a few days after that, the cable/phone went out, and then my focus has been elsewhere, but here we go.

Bulldogging...like them Georgia Bulldogs...dog bones were the main theme I went with here.
georgiafooty16.png

Cal State-Fullerton Titans...a sunburst is incorporated within the first choice's stripes.
fullertonfooty16.png

Arizona Wildcats...I might redo the home jumper of this set, but if you've ever seen the home shirt of Dutch soccer club Willem II, this is basically a hoop version of that. The away is mainly copper, and the vintage is basically the home with thinner hoops.
arizonafooty16.png

Arizona State Sun Devils...pitchfork diagonal for the home maroon, the main clash is a golden sun over maroon...and then the third jumper uses a sun in a different manner.
arizonastatefooty15.png

Baylor Bears...Baylor just seems like the kind of school whose XVIII would go with stripes as its main jumper, so first choice is a green back, second choice is a gold back. Went Montreal Canadien style for the black third.
baylorfooty16.png

more in my next post...

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Now for Part Deux, starting with the Canisius Golden Griffins
canisiusfooty16.png

Arkansas Razorbacks...figured I'd go in a direction that I could imagine an AFL team trialing as its clash or training design...and yet, much like the Alaska SOO's curved hoops, one I don't think I've seen IRL.
arkansasfooty16.png

LSU Tigers...basically white and gold hoops bordered with purple for the home, and a white/gold striped sash on purple for the clash. The vintage jumper has a thinner purple-gold-purple sash, and uses an older tiger head (which itself has a pretty interesting history, from back when a lot of this stuff wasn't taken as seriously...apparently, much like with Richmond's old tiger, enough people saw Occidental College's tiger and liked it enough to use it for their own schools, most notably Auburn, Princeton and LSU here)
lsufooty16.png

Fairfield Stags...used pockets for the first time since UT Pan American, and these jumpers basically use very thick hoops.
fairfieldfooty16.png

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders...aint every day you see tricolor stripes on a jumper, or any with a diagonal slant cut off the top. It's meant to evoke a wave, as is the diagonal striping of the third. The clash utilizes a tiki mask and a not-WCE design.
texasamccfooty16.png

finally, the Montana State Bobcats...one half of the Brawl of the Wild (the other half being their arch rivals, the Montana Grizzlies, who'll be coming in a day or two)...decided to go with straightforward stripes for the first choice, and candy stripes for the third. The clash is a Brisbane-style number, but with the yoke rendered in a faux gradient.
montanastatefooty16.png

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Montana...along with Montana State, the other half of the "Brawl of the Wild" rivalry, I decided on pinstripes and a UM monogram for the home guernsey, and sort of a barcode half for the clash. The harlequin jumper uses Montana's old colors, copper and gold, alongside their current maroon and silver colors.
montanafooty16.png

Illinois...a rare occasion: I'm unveiling this one here instead of CCSLC...anyways, based the home and clash on their crest-style logo, and the third is an homage to their old chief logo (the white central striping resembling a breastplate).
illinoisfooty16.png

Discrim

Senior List
Aug 27, 2005
Racine, Wisconsin, USA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fantasy footy's getting started, and it was time for me to roll out my club's jumper set for the '16 campaign. So watch the Robins fly up...
robins2016.png

Been using the WCE-style wings as the first choice for the club's entire existence, bar one season (so 10 out of 11). I tried a red back a few years ago, but prefer a blue back. My clash is usually hooped, though I've never used hoops like these (nor, honestly, have I seen them IRL, to be honest). A hockey-inspired teal number rounds out the regular set, and I'll be unveiling a patriotic jumper in May.

Back