Analysis Discussing some of the biggest AFL trades - who won?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're the crows, at least 6 years.

Brodie Martin, 6 years and 35 games (17 in his last year)
CEY - 8 years, 39 games
Sam Shaw - 6 years, 24 games
Shaun McKernan - 6 years, 34 games
I remember Sam Shaw showing promising signs in his 1st year of being a good AFL player before injuries got the better of him

He's a 22 year old KPP. Usually players in his position don't hit their peak until mid 20s. If he hadn't been taken at Pick 2, I doubt he'd get even close to the amount of scrutiny that he does.

As you said, his contested marking is woeful, but his field kicking and tank are elite. I think there's potential for him to pave out a career as a 3rd tall or role player where he fits within certain game plans, but his ceiling isn't the 60+ goal per year forward that some thought he would be when taken at Pick 2.

If he plays the full year this year, he should be pushing for the 30 goal mark (accounting for there only being 16 more games). I'm not saying he's going to be a huge success, and may not even make it, but I also don't think it's fair to label him even close to a bust just yet. Give him a couple more years of not improving on his game or establishing himself in the 22, and then I would agree with you

I hope he can become a Jack Gunston type for you guys. Or Adelaides Tom Lynch. Just needs a little more killer instinct, but has the rest of the attributes to become a similar player to those two.

I don't think he can become a Franklin or Jack Riewoldt though.

You are correct. But that doesn’t make him a bust like others would say.

Think people have to forget he was a pick 2 pick for a second.

You blokes paid #25 and #40, so basically a second and an early 3rd. Is his output more than a second round KPP? I would say it's more than adequate. I'll use a bloke from my side in Sam Reid. No reason why Josh can't have a similar output. Brisbane made a mistake taking him at 2 (but lets be real every cub would and he's not the first or last junior footballer to be a terrible first rounder)

And fairly lazy analysis on the Stringer trade. We got two picks for stringer, 25 and 30. We sent pick 30, along with 28 and a 2018 second rounder, to Carlton for pick 16 and 40. Then we used pick 25 and 40 on Schache and drafted Richards with 16.

as for Essendon being a long way ahead, and Stringer apparently playing so well- that’s more laziness. Just buying the hype. In the prime of his career Stringer has yet to make the top 10 in Essendon’s best and fairest, while he has two leading goal kicker trophies kicking 33 goals and 30 in a side that missed the finals one year then just scraped in the eight the next after being belted by 100 points by the team that finished seventh a couple of weeks from finals. Apparently has an impact up the ground but that’s pretty sporadic, just twice at Essendon he’s got 20 or more touches in a game and he’s pretty hit and miss with his disposal. Makes a lot of clangers too. Just because a lot of his goals are “freakish” it doesn’t make him a star. He’s still a low percentage, inconsistent player.

He’s no better than Stewart Crameri was for Essendon, so well done to the Bombers for getting one back on us. If you look at how Stringer has played since 2016 his value is just about right. He’s had one elite season and even that was five years ago.

Meanwhile Schache is still very young and nowhere near his prime but has shown some good signs, and Richards is another good kid on our list

Hard when some of the delivery is piss poor

Think people have to forget he was a pick 2 pick for a second.

You blokes paid #25 and #40, so basically a second and an early 3rd. Is his output more than a second round KPP? I would say it's more than adequate. I'll use a bloke from my side in Sam Reid. No reason why Josh can't have a similar output. Brisbane made a mistake taking him at 2 (but lets be real every cub would and he's not the first or last junior footballer to be a terrible first rounder)

People need to remember he is a young KP player who was always going to take time due to his build and play style. He played like Alistair Lynch in the juniors and was never going to be able to do that early in the AFL. Some players adapt quickly but Schache was never going to be that IMO. Add to that he has had the mental health issues and he is about where I'd expect him to be.

I think he has plenty to give at the top level and to be honest, if he can kick 30+ goals a year and provide that chop out ruck option for the Doggies he has more than justified his trade value for them and as an AFL player. Has all the upside IMO.

The 2017 trade period has worked out quite well for us
Smith, Saad and Stringer comfortably top 10 players. If Mozzie comes on, that's a bonus from the 3rd to 2nd upgrade we also got.

Picks ended up being Bonar & De Koning.

The Saints would be happy with their 2016 Hawthorn trade. Gave up picks 10 and 68 (ultimately part of O’Meara trade) for pick 23 and 36, plus next year’s 1st.

They resulted in Ben Long, Josh Battle, and Hunter Clark; 3 very important young players. Clark, especially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mean the trade. Think it's unlikely he does much more with the rest of his career since he's a 199cm player that can't take contested marks. Kicking 24 goals last year doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. You can talk about his age and I think his kicking and passing skills are excellent but I don't think he has the requisites to be a best 22 player in a successful side.

Trade worked out okay for the Lions- used the Dogs picks to trade up to 17 and drafted Zac Bailey who is now best 22 with a stack of potential

Listening to the AFL Exchange Podcast brought up this one:

Pick 6 to the Suns for Steven May and Kade Kolodashnij to Melbourne.

Pick 6 got the Suns Ben King, May has been good pick up for the Dees and poor Kade is probably never going to get a proper run at it with his concussion issues.

Pick 6 got the Suns Ben King, May has been good pick up for the Dees and poor Kade is probably never going to get a proper run at it with his concussion issues.
Not sure you can say May has been a good pick up. Spent almost the entire time at the Dees so far either injured, suspended or fat. Showing some signs recently but needs to make up a lot of ground to turn this trade in to anything half decent at the moment.

Made sense at the time, but that deal hasn't been great for the Dees yet
They're crying out for a talent like King at the moment.
And could probably have made do if May & KK weren't there.

This week will show why Stringer for 25 + 30 was such a good deal for us. Will lose all semblance of forward structure.
With a game in hand, Stringer was looking good on the Coleman board too. :(

Made sense at the time, but that deal hasn't been great for the Dees yet
They're crying out for a talent like King at the moment.
And could probably have made do if May & KK weren't there.

This week will show why Stringer for 25 + 30 was such a good deal for us. Will lose all semblance of forward structure.
With a game in hand, Stringer was looking good on the Coleman board too. :(

He became toxic at The Dogs, and it was only this season that Stringer was starting to put together his 2016 Premiership year form.

Was very impressed with your Devon Smith and Adam Saad trades, Dodo got great value there

He became toxic at The Dogs, and it was only this season that Stringer was starting to put together his 2016 Premiership year form.

Was very impressed with your Devon Smith and Adam Saad trades, Dodo got great value there
That whole trade period was excellent

Smith, Stringer & Saad for a 1st, 2nd & future 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back