Unofficial Preview Discussion, Changes? Round 22 v Cats @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Time to move on quickly from the Massacre On Grass v the Suns, I'm sure the boys minds will have turned to this game already as well.

There wont be any changes unless there is an unforeseen injury.

This is a true litmus test of our premiership credentials and a win would secure a top 4 berth and a possible top 2 berth.

Pretty simple game plan to beat them IMO, just keep doing what we have been doing for the majority of the games over the last 8 weeks, if we bring our intensity and pressure around the contest for the whole 4 quarters we will win.

I can not wait for this game, sellout, it is going to be magnificent.

Definitely no changes but a lot of work on centre clearances especially for the first quarter
Teams get on a run against us in that area of the game, one of our few weaknesses, although when we win it it is a massive strength, we are so difficult to defend with the 666 set up.

It’ll be interesting to see what Fagan does with Rayner. In the easiest game of the year, I thought he put up one of his worst performances of his young career. Bit of a dangerous move putting him out there V a powerful Cats midfield.

Who’d come in though? That’s the issue. Keays?

It’ll be interesting to see what Fagan does with Rayner. In the easiest game of the year, I thought he put up one of his worst performances of his young career. Bit of a dangerous move putting him out there V a powerful Cats midfield.

Who’d come in though? That’s the issue. Keays?
Honestly he didn't look horrible IMO. Spent a bit of time on ball and looked ok, in a supporting role.

Honestly he didn't look horrible IMO. Spent a bit of time on ball and looked ok, in a supporting role.

That kick into the man on the mark that led directly to the Suns first goal was pretty awful. Complete lack of spacial awareness. Took the mark but also took far too log to make a decision what he was going to do with it. And when he botched it, it didn't really come as a complete surprise. It just looked like he was going to fluff it

Happened on centre wing right in front of where I sit.

I'm a Rayner fan but he's got to be better than that.

Last edited:
Hmm, just felt like he had a shocker of a game where nothing went right. He did make that one good pass which lead to a goal. Honestly, 13 touches at 52% and zero goals is uninspiring. His 14 pressure acts mostly came from corralling which are pretty ineffective unless translated to tackles.

That kick into the man on the mark that led directly to the Suns first goal was pretty awful. Complete lack of spacial awareness. Took the mark but also took far too log to make a decision what he was going to do with it. And when he botched it, it didn't really come as a complete surprise. It just looked like he was going to fluff it

Happened on centre wing right in front of where I sit.

I'm a Rayner fan but he's got to be better than that.
Yeah but how many players have done that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe you could've also mentioned his kick from the centre and follow up handball to Bailey for his goal later in the first? That was a great effort.
He's a kid trying trying his guts out. :thumbsu:
I love Rayner and think he will be a star in the future but right now i have no doubt there are 3-4 others playing NEAFL that can value add to our 22 much more than him. With finals just around the corner, Its close to the time we pick our best 22 instead of our best potential 22 and for me that means Rayner plays NEAFL.

I love Rayner and think he will be a star in the future but right now i have no doubt there are 3-4 others playing NEAFL that can value add to our 22 much more than him. With finals just around the corner, Its close to the time we pick our best 22 instead of our best potential 22 and for me that means Rayner plays NEAFL.
Who would you play instead of him ML?

Matheson was bog yesterday. Keays always pulls his weight, Starc does his bit each week, Cory Lyons continues to rack up posessions, Taylor racked up 21 posessions also.... there are plenty of options
It would be a huge step up going from an extended run in the NEAFL to games v the Cats and Tigers.... and finals.

Personally I can't see there being any changes unless it is through injury, I think we have a pretty good idea who the match committee view as our best 22 and Cam is a part of it.

It would be a huge step up going from an extended run in the NEAFL to games v the Cats and Tigers.... and finals.

Personally I can't see there being any changes unless it is through injury, I think we have a pretty good idea who the match committee view as our best 22 and Cam is a part of it.
[/QUOTE
I agree its hard to see them make any changes based on recent history and persisting with him unconditionally but really, no one can justify him holding his place on form.
Most players i have mentioned have played NEAFL and Seniors several times throughout the season so i dont see what it would be a problem next week.
I would love Rayner to have a game we all know he is capable of but honestly there are other potions available that can contribute more at the present time

Plenty.

But I don't think many of them have been #1 Draft Picks
Simply by virtue of there only being one of those each year you're absolutely correct, but I'd bet plenty of #1 draft picks have kicked into the man on the mark at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back