Unofficial Preview Discussion, Changes? Round 22 v Cats @ Gabba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Many years ago I respected the likes of J.Selwood and many of the other Geelong players and their club. I then watched them at the Gabba and I never saw a bigger bunch of sooks in my life and ever since thought of them as entitled little pricks. Thus hope we put them back in their place this Saturday afternoon.
Time to bully the bullies.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have booked a Melbourne hotel for the Grand Final on Punt Road. Yes that is a little confident but the deal allows you to cancel the room at no cost right up to the week of the game when the teams are decided. No changes this week, McCarthy and Rayner do so many little things you really only see in a live matches. The Cats this week is a good test but the are not the team they were in the first half of the season and we are a much better team than we were in the first half. I think with our multiple goal kickers we have so many attacking weapons teams have to out-play us, not try to stop us. We are like a balloon full of water, push you hand down in one place we pop up in another, put you hand on it and we come up the other side. Go Lions.

Our biggest improvement in second half appears to be getting the ball into our forward 50 and strangle the living daylight out of the opposition. Regardless of whether it's 5 6 behinds or out on the full, everyone sticks to their task and continues applying the pressure. I was one of those who earlier this year questioned leg speed from defense as an issue, but team pressure beats them all. Fantastic work by coaching staff.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have booked a Melbourne hotel for the Grand Final on Punt Road. Yes that is a little confident but the deal allows you to cancel the room at no cost right up to the week of the game when the teams are decided. No changes this week, McCarthy and Rayner do so many little things you really only see in a live matches. The Cats this week is a good test but the are not the team they were in the first half of the season and we are a much better team than we were in the first half. I think with our multiple goal kickers we have so many attacking weapons teams have to out-play us, not try to stop us. We are like a balloon full of water, push you hand down in one place we pop up in another, put you hand on it and we come up the other side. Go Lions.

That's confident. I'll only start booking it after week 1 of finals. Hope we do well

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
I'm only typing out my usual "heads down, tails up, work hard" post because I'm scared the footy gods will smite us if I don't.

But hey, it's fact that hard work and focus are winning us games. That and our legendary Charlie Gardiner.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I for one am happy that we will probably have no changes. It's good having a settled best 22. It shows the coaching staff have certainty and faith in the players, and motivates NEAFL players to really push themselves to make the leap.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just been on the Geelong board, mighty respectful lot on there.

I know! Thought I was on a Lions board for a second. They're a good bunch and a professionally run club. Plus it helps we have a bunch of their ex-players. Looking forward to the game on Saturday! Excited to see a fully packed out Gabba between the top 2 teams in the AFL

SonnyBoy1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can not remember the last time when everyone was happy for constant no changes to the lineups and we didn't have a major whipping boy in the 22, thank you Fagan.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Make sure you pop into the Royal Hotel in Punt Road for a pre-game drink. Warning........dont take the kids 💋

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Predicting a low scoring game 10-12 goals each.

I think we have a few more options forward but are still more prone to turning it over in our backline. Can’t afford too many eases misses.

Andrews vs Hawkins will be huge and our ability to limit the influence Dangerfield and Kelly has will be important.

Predicting a low scoring game 10-12 goals each.

I think we have a few more options forward but are still more prone to turning it over in our backline. Can’t afford too many eases misses.

Andrews vs Hawkins will be huge and our ability to limit the influence Dangerfield and Kelly has will be important.

I wouldn't be surprised if we played Adams and Hawkins and use Andrews purely as an interceptor. Either way, huge game. Bloody exciting!

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

They're genuinely worried about this game. Rightly so.
Have no doubt about that. I would have said a 50/50 game, but the home ground advantage swings it 5%.

Huge respect for the Lions and the way they are going about it. My son lives in Brisbane so I'm flying up for the game. Should be a cracker.

Games last year i think was

Thursday
Friday
Sat Twilight
Sat Night

Doubt we would get either of the the first 2.

So long as it's Saturday and not WA I'll go. Would be incredibly exciting regardless of where it's played!

I'm nervous about the game because the stakes are high and Geelong are an excellent footy team, with a perfect record against us in recent seasons.

But there are good reasons to be confident. Playing in mid-20s sunshine on the wide Gabba will surely help us keep the game at a high tempo, which we're more comfortable with than the Cats. I feel like we match up pretty well in most parts of the ground, while they'll struggle to find a suitable opponent for Cameron (Bews I guess gets first crack).

And we're in really good form, and taking full advantage of this fit, stable team we've got.

The biggest worry is probably that we lose the clearances badly enough that the Cats are able to control possession and dominate territory. But we might only need part of the game to be played on our terms in order to outscore Geelong by enough; that's how we win most of our games.

From what I can see we're mostly paying about $1.70 for the win. I think that's a little long.

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
PS. I haven’t read the Melbourne Board, but I bet they used to have these sort of conversations about Jack Watts.
Apart from being number 1 picks, there is no comparison.

Rayner is not seen as our saviour like Watts was for Melbourne and Schache was for Brisbane.

He is a talented kid brought in to do a role, who just happens to be a #1 pick. Out of the 2017 draft he is still the one I would of picked, even though Stephenson has had a better start.

He'll have a long career, hopefully a one-club player. And just because you are picked first does not mean you are the best player from that year. Expectations on #1 picks are seriously overrated.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Over the pre season I got told that the the playing group had "pencilled" in this game against geelong after they gave our players a bit of lip at our last encounter so hoping for a big game from the boy's this week.
After reading your post I started twitching, salivating & was temporarily blinded. I didn't think this game could offer any more by way of pre game excitement.
Lordy lordy! Now you've thrown "GRUDGE MATCH" into the mix! You bewdy!
Thanks for your post bear3. I'm going outside for a smoke now.

So long as it's Saturday and not WA I'll go. Would be incredibly exciting regardless of where it's played!

Following on from this, it was

Thursday night:
First qualifying final (1 v 4)

Friday night:
First elimination final (5 v 8)

Saturday twilight:
Second elimination final (6 v 7)

Saturday night:
Second qualifying final (2 v 3)

In 2017 though, both qualifying finals were held on Thursday & Friday night, with the elimination finals on the Saturday. I'm not sure what their logic is - giving interstate teams time to get back and not have short turnarounds maybe? But it seems a pretty even likelihood we could be in any of those four spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back