Unofficial Preview Discussion, Changes? Round 22 v Cats @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the bye
Lions WWWWWWWW
Cats LWLWLWLW
Cats due to Loose again :)
Cats won 3 games at home and one in Sydney since the bye. Lost all the other games away from Geelong.

Not just lose, the Cats are owed a flogging after reading bear3's revelation that they were lippy to our players last year. This is a grudge match!

Since the bye
Lions WWWWWWWW
Cats LWLWLWLW
Cats due to Loose again :)
Cats won 3 games at home and one in Sydney since the bye. Lost all the other games away from Geelong.
this the big issue since the mid season bye. I'm reading a lot in to this game regarding our potential finals success.

I'm nervous about the game because the stakes are high and Geelong are an excellent footy team, with a perfect record against us in recent seasons.

But there are good reasons to be confident. Playing in mid-20s sunshine on the wide Gabba will surely help us keep the game at a high tempo, which we're more comfortable with than the Cats. I feel like we match up pretty well in most parts of the ground, while they'll struggle to find a suitable opponent for Cameron (Bews I guess gets first crack).

And we're in really good form, and taking full advantage of this fit, stable team we've got.

The biggest worry is probably that we lose the clearances badly enough that the Cats are able to control possession and dominate territory. But we might only need part of the game to be played on our terms in order to outscore Geelong by enough; that's how we win most of our games.

From what I can see we're mostly paying about $1.70 for the win. I think that's a little long.
I think Cameron will be picked up by Stewart as he will out mark Charlie n is a bit of a wiley customer.

I think Cameron will be picked up by Stewart as he will out mark Charlie n is a bit of a wiley customer.
my suspicion is that Cameron will be picked up by Bews. Bews is just a shut down player, but quite effective. We need Stewart's creativity, which would be lost if he is assigned to a match winner like Cameron.

If we use Charlie like we have been using him the Cats have no one that can go with him, no need to worry about him being out marked because we wont bang it long on top of his head, Charlie on the lead in open space can not be contained and Charlie on the ground can not be contained. Play smart and Charlie will tear them apart.

If we use Charlie like we have been using him the Cats have no one that can go with him, no need to worry about him being out marked because we wont bang it long on top of his head, Charlie on the lead in open space can not be contained and Charlie on the ground can not be contained. Play smart and Charlie will tear them apart.

To think some thought we overpaid with pick 12 - not me of course,always thought it was a steal :moustache:

my suspicion is that Cameron will be picked up by Bews. Bews is just a shut down player, but quite effective. We need Stewart's creativity, which would be lost if he is assigned to a match winner like Cameron.

Bews seems to make the most sense for Charlie, Stewart is the one we need to keep honest. What are your thoughts on the the likely match-ups ?

I’m assuming Blitz will be moved back, Hipwoods agility might be a worry for your other KPD I’d imagine.
Id be thinking something like

Blitz - Hipwood
Henderson - McStay
Kolo - Martin / Oscar
Stewart - Rayner
Bews - Charlie
Tuohy - Christensen / Linc

Yeah, the keys for Geelong are:

1) Stopping us from opening up space in the forwardline for Cameron and others to run into.
2) Applying pressure up the ground so the mids are delivering the ball under pressure
3) Maintaining possession and not giving us quick counterattacking opportunities.

They don't have anyone who can match Cameron one on one.

Not that he's likely to win the game off his own boot. It's really more about us being able to play the kind of footy we want to play, and knowing there's someone up forward who's a good chance to capitalise on it.

I really hope Linc plays well this weekend after a couple down weeks. I am slightly worried that he may try to do too much to show the old mob up.

One thing I have noticed is that we don't necessarily need to win the center clearance to be dangerous, our work off half back has been really impressive. There have been a few times in the last month where the opposition has gotten on top in the middle but we have setup our plays really nicely from defense. Something that has been sorely missing over the last few years.

Bews seems to make the most sense for Charlie, Stewart is the one we need to keep honest. What are your thoughts on the the likely match-ups ?

I’m assuming Blitz will be moved back, Hipwoods agility might be a worry for your other KPD I’d imagine.

Blitz - Hipwood
Henderson - McStay
Kolo - Martin / Oscar
Stewart - Rayner
Bews - Charlie
I think that's fairly close to it. Looking forward to seeing McCarthy, I thought that he was going to be someone special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's fairly close to it. Looking forward to seeing McCarthy, I thought that he was going to be someone special.

He’s been a great pickup for us, has had some really nice moments at different stages.

I knew he had decent potential (how long you stuck by him, is a testimony to that) My geelong supporting mate talked him up hugely, reckons he was one of the strongest marking smalls, which weve been able to witness this year.

Where I was really suprised was when he started to get some midfield rotation, been a great rotation option for us lately

Blitz - Hipwood
Henderson - McStay
Kolo - Martin / Oscar
Stewart - Rayner
Bews - Charlie
This is the two fold advantage of having someone like Charlie. Stewart provides their main pace and run now out of defence which is such a pivotal part of today’s game. If Bews can’t stop Charlie they will be forced to play Stewart there, and we instantly remove a large part of their attack out of defence. I was one questioning Charlie’s worth of a twelve pick, and still stand by that it was debatable on what he had done at the Crows. As suspected I would be a terrible list manager. Having chatted to him a few times and seen him with kids and family, he is a genuine bloke and my new man crush.

He's been very impressive when played through the midfield in spurts this year as well. Thought he was just a small forward but with more continuity and fitness he's added new dimensions to his game this year.

He’s been a great pickup for us, has had some really nice moments at different stages.

I knew he had decent potential (how long you stuck by him, is a testimony to that) My geelong supporting mate talked him up hugely, reckons he was one of the strongest marking smalls, which weve been able to witness this year.

Where I was really suprised was when he started to get some midfield rotation, been a great rotation option for us lately
MCCarthy is just a pure footballer.

His talent is all natural.
It's a shame we just couldn't get him right. Although it now appears we did get his last op right.

I'm on with him kicking 6 this week.

As long as no one else kicks a goal :)

I read this and thought you meant lionbear :$

I am genuinely excited about this game, it is great to see my old team back fighting at the top of the ladder and I think this gives Geelong a real reading on whether our post game form is loading or actual form loss.

When I made the decision to change this situation was something I considered as we all knew the Lions would be back on top, if it cant be the Cats, I would love to see my old team win it although being an outsider.

Much talk about how we haven’t beaten a top 4 side yet. Look at how the dogs obliterated Essendon on the weekend and we were 43 points up against them the previous week, port Adelaide are smashing teams now and we beat them fair & square on their home turf. A chance to silence everyone for good this Saturday🤫

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back