Coaching Staff Discussion on coaching panel 2020 Who stays, who goes

Remove this Banner Ad

If this years draft is a taste of what we can expect from Dalrymple then I’m ecstatic. Really early days of course but our draft selections as a group are wonderful choices. I really hope that the chatter about Beatson leaving is off the mark because I think with both their skills that our recruitment will be in good hands.

If this years draft is a taste of what we can expect from Dalrymple then I’m ecstatic. Really early days of course but our draft selections as a group are wonderful choices. I really hope that the chatter about Beatson leaving is off the mark because I think with both their skills that our recruitment will be in good hands.
Yep. 2 new skilful mids coming for sure next year. Taking a good strategic approach. The trade ins are good gap fillers in the right age group. For sure not everyone will make best 22 but that's life. There'll be healthy competition for spots.

Beatson & Darymple have the potential to form a very good recruiting duo for us. They have great track records in different areas (Darymple with classy juniors, Beatson with diamonds in the rough)

Still too early to tell so far but it’s good that he’s sticking around. Only a fool would deny what an asset he’s been for us.

Recruiting team:
In case people missed it here's the latest list of our main recruiting team and their roles

Stevie J looks like the likeliest to be cut from the coaching panel atm.
Is our forward line a mess because of Stevie J or because of our midfield?

I don't know what's best for our club moving forward, but I do think our next in line for coaching should 100% be from outside the club (although I wouldn't mind Cox being given more responsibility).

Wouldn't mind Kennealy back, but I have no clue how to judge each coach separate from the other.

Stevie J looks like the likeliest to be cut from the coaching panel atm.
Is our forward line a mess because of Stevie J or because of our midfield?

I don't know what's best for our club moving forward, but I do think our next in line for coaching should 100% be from outside the club (although I wouldn't mind Cox being given more responsibility).

Wouldn't mind Kennealy back, but I have no clue how to judge each coach separate from the other.
I don't have any stats to back this but would have thought our scores per inside 50 to actually be pretty high. Last 2 weeks we've been getting inside 50 and not scoring but before that we seemed to be going pretty well in that department

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the NEAFL merging with the VFL and the likelihood of smaller list sizes and thus smaller reserves, I'm guessing one or two of Kirk, Perris, or Laidler will be going. I'd tip Laidler to stay simply because he's doing the press for the 2's and seems to be more prominent in the team. I don't have any evidence beyond that to back up my suspicion.

I think Cox is staying, in fact I'm tipping him to replace Horse at the end of Horse's current contract.

I'm not sure about Stevie J, McVeigh, or Kennelly. I could see one of them going, but I have no idea who that might be.

With the NEAFL merging with the VFL and the likelihood of smaller list sizes and thus smaller reserves, I'm guessing one or two of Kirk, Perris, or Laidler will be going. I'd tip Laidler to stay simply because he's doing the press for the 2's and seems to be more prominent in the team. I don't have any evidence beyond that to back up my suspicion.

I think Cox is staying, in fact I'm tipping him to replace Horse at the end of Horse's current contract.

I'm not sure about Stevie J, McVeigh, or Kennelly. I could see one of them going, but I have no idea who that might be.

Think I remember it being reported McVeigh signed a 4 year deal or something with the club as a coach. Can't imagine he'll be getting the chop.

EDIT: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...aims-for-one-last-hurrah-20190801-p52cs6.html

Last edited:
You don’t like that he was contracted as a coach? He was virtually coaching the side as a player so is a natural progression. Personally I’m glad
It's been proved that the best way to learn as a coach is to go to another club and get fresh ideas , look at the stars that are failures . Tim Watson, Nathan Buckley, Michael Voss etc. All he has ever seen is Roos/Horse. Kevin Sheedy always freshened up and Hardwick improved by doing the same thing. He would have been good going to Geelong or Richmond eg. The club is there for the old boys. Pointing is not coaching.

It's been proved that the best way to learn as a coach is to go to another club and get fresh ideas , look at the stars that are failures . Tim Watson, Nathan Buckley, Michael Voss etc. All he has ever seen is Roos/Horse. Kevin Sheedy always freshened up and Hardwick improved by doing the same thing. He would have been good going to Geelong or Richmond eg. The club is there for the old boys. Pointing is not coaching.
With all due respect Bedders, the only one saying that Macca will be the next coach is you.
It's highly likely he will move away as a next level assistant with another club rather than coach our club right after Horse, & I base this on the very points you raised in your post. I agree with you but not with the bit about Macca taking over from Horse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back