Coaching Staff Discussion on coaching panel 2020 Who stays, who goes

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some of us, certainly me, infer how an Assistant is going by looking at the part of our game where they have major input.

Few of us can mount a case that our midfield delivered adequate performances across the year. Yes our midfield lacks class personnel. This was compounded by the absence of a big competent ruckman. Yet the extent to which we went backwards opens the question on how well Kirk is performing.

Conversely our backline held up well despite the loss of three star defenders. Personnel or the influence of the Assistant coach? Despite being often starved of regular supply and missing a fit Buddy, I thought the forward line was effective. Kudos to Stevie J.
Sad to say I don't agree on Johnson. And/or perhaps the chemistry between Kirk and him. Probably the biggest improvement in the forwards came from the better delivery from Dawson and Jones.
Stop and think for a moment about recent ex-player styles.
Johnson - chaos ball and trying to get others to pass to him in no better position. Kicks around the corner.
McVeigh - superbly organised, classic kicking, cool as a cucumber.
Who would you expect to be better suited to coaching?
Agree 're Tadgh and Cox has done OK too.
Will be interesting to see which role Macca gets.

Sad to say I don't agree on Johnson. And/or perhaps the chemistry between Kirk and him. Probably the biggest improvement in the forwards came from the better delivery from Dawson and Jones.
Stop and think for a moment about recent ex-player styles.
Johnson - chaos ball and trying to get others to pass to him in no better position. Kicks around the corner.
McVeigh - superbly organised, classic kicking, cool as a cucumber.
Who would you expect to be better suited to coaching?
Agree 're Tadgh and Cox has done OK too.
Will be interesting to see which role Macca gets.
I get what you’re saying but it doesn’t necessarily follow that a person’s personality/philosophy as a player equates to their personality/philosophy as a coach.

I get what you’re saying but it doesn’t necessarily follow that a person’s personality/philosophy as a player equates to their personality/philosophy as a coach.

Yep. Roosy played as an often unaccountable defender yet accountability is part of his mantra seemingly as a coach and certainly as a commentator.

Coaching panel announced by club

some changes on roles within the group

Kirk out of midfield & into new Development role is probably the biggest move as Kennelly & McVeigh take the over reigns

How is shifting Kirk into a development role grooming him to take over from Longmire?

From all the changes, surely you would have to think it is Cox's expanded role that looks most like preparation for taking on the senior role.

Kirk is getting a taste of so many areas, shifted over from freo , bet he is next up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough old swans on the panel

Clearly grooming Kirk to take over next too not sure why

My reading was the opposite. He has been moved out of midfield with a soft fall to working with the kids.

A defender looking after our midfield. Should be great. No point having a forwards coach the ball is never down there. Club needs look outside of our past players coaching. It's the same vomit year after year.

My reading was the opposite. He has been moved out of midfield with a soft fall to working with the kids.
Some coaches are great man managers but not great tacticians, some are terrific assistant managers but terrible as the head coach. Eade is a brilliant assistant coach & tactician from all reports but not a good head coach.

They might not have been thrilled with Kirk's performance but realise this falls on their shoulders too for appointing him in the role when he wasn't suited

Some coaches are great man managers but not great tacticians, some are terrific assistant managers but terrible as the head coach. Eade is a brilliant assistant coach & tactician from all reports but not a good head coach.

They might not have been thrilled with Kirk's performance but realise this falls on their shoulders too for appointing him in the role when he wasn't suited

You raise a number of very good points.

A defender looking after our midfield. Should be great. No point having a forwards coach the ball is never down there. Club needs look outside of our past players coaching. It's the same vomit year after year.
Swans has already stated they have difficulty attracting coaching staff because their primary targets won’t move out of Vic. They‘ve already raised this with the AFL when talking about equalisation and $ to attract coaches.

We have Cox & Stevie J, and since SJ was already up here with GWS it’s only Cox who is interstate.

Its disingenuous to think we simply choose only NSW ex players because we feel like.

Swans has already stated they have difficulty attracting coaching staff because their primary targets won’t move out of Vic. They‘ve already raised this with the AFL when talking about equalisation and $ to attract coaches.

We have Cox & Stevie J, and since SJ was already up here with GWS it’s only Cox who is interstate.

Its disingenuous to think we simply choose only NSW ex players because we feel like.
Blakey too. Half of the assistant coaches didn't play for us.

Harley has tried to get the AFL Commission to understand that the challenge for the non-AFL states is not only attracting and retaining players but also attracting and retaining coaches. I have no doubt that the Swans would like to bring in successful assistant coaches with wider experience.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kinnear Beatson: Manager, Recruiting and List Strategy. Going to Carlton if the reports are true. Can’t imagine either club will be pleased its leaked before completion of this years Draft

Dalrymple is our National Recruitment Manager.

Part of Beatson’s role was Trade, while Dalrymple has the Draft.

Spot opening up at the Swans. Will be interesting if the expand Dalrymple’s role or bring in someone else.

Kinnear Beatson: Manager, Recruiting and List Strategy. Going to Carlton if the reports are true. Can’t imagine either club will be pleased its leaked before completion of this years Draft

Spot opening up at the Swans. Will be interesting if the expand Dalrymple’s role or bring in someone else.
This all appears to have been a planned transition from Beatson to Dalrymple. I suspect if Beatson goes Dalrymples role gets expanded to the equivalent of Beatson's previous role.

Seems such weird timing given the draft is a few weeks away.

Carlton leaks like a sieve, SP. I don’t believe they wanted this public until after draft
We've traditionally run quite a tight ship when it comes to "leaks" so I'm looking straight at Carlton here... That club is run like a part time hobby farm IMO. Just reeks of self interest, self promotion and individuals protecting their positions before the club. The opposite of what I'd expect from our staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back