Analysis Discussion- Our best low profile recruits.

Remove this Banner Ad

In our short history there are a few recruits that are often lauded as being super important it the clubs development that get discussed all the time. Namely the 3 youngsters up front (Scully, Davis, Ward). Followed by Shaw, Mumford and Stevie J. All super important signings that shaped the club. But I wanted to chat about the other signings that have been just as important if not as high profile.

Chad Cornes- I know he only play about 15-20 games over a season and half. But he was terrific in that first year for us. I also he is responsible in part of giving our kids a hard edge which we have always had. We had a heap of talent, I reckon he played a huge role in toughening them up when we were on the wrong end of the scoreboard.

The next 2 were huge in bridging the gap from talented kids to first a competitive side and than a real finals threat (along with the 3 we added that were more high profile)

Joel Patful- He was terrific for us and was very much one of the finishing pieces in the young talented team to finished product. He was the seasoned pro we needed at the time and was very good on the field and along with Shaw was a bit of a teacher. He is in my best all time Giants side without question.

Ryan Griffin- He was a big signing at the time, but I reckon his influence isn't as recognized as the others, maybe cause he missed a lot of footy at the Giants. He was the final piece for us. He was clearly a very good player when he got he, and he going into the middle made us an AFL standard midfield. He took the oppositions best player to him allowing Shiel, Kelly and Cogs to develop in there a bit quicker and got us to the level we needed to be. Him missing so much footy in 17-18 played a big role in us not cashing in during that period for me.

Would be great to see what others thought of as key signings as well as thoughts on these guys.

De Boer - delisted by Freo and made his way across the country to eventually reinvent himself as one of the most feared taggers in the game. He also moved his way up to join the leadership group. I think his presence amongst the playing group and the effect he has will always be understated but from what I can see he offers just as much off the field, if not more, as he does on the field.

Last edited:
You could throw Dylan Addison’s name into the mix here - not so much on field at AFL level but as to the role he played in the NEAFL shepherding through the young kids for a couple of years and then his influence off field after. Would he be our Welfare Guy if we didn‘t recruit him as a player?

Also - Sam Reid - took a while and a retirement and some delistings and relistings but for the past couple of years he’s been a mainstay and very much earned his spot in the 22.

btw. agree with both above posts re Patful, Griffin and de Boer

De Boer - delisted by Freo and made his way across the country to eventually reinvent himself as one of the most feared in the game. He also moved his way up to join the leadership group. I think his presence amongst the playing group and the effect he has will always be understated but from what I can see he offers just as much off the field, if not more, as he does on the field.
I agree with his importance, and the only reason I didn't include him because he was drafted not recruited. not that it really matters, he was the same as a recruit for all intents and purposes, but didn't want to confuse in the OP and have everyone throw in our best draftees which are kind of separate.
He has been great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back