Nostradamus Lives Disharmony at the Kennel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higgens will most likely leave as well but that's more of a money issue than McCartney

Of our top 13 in the B&F, 7 of them are 22yo and under (including the winner, the runner up and the 4th placegetter). Perhaps some of the senior players were reminded of this fact and weren't too thrilled about the comparison.

I heard of a rift between McCartney and the senior players at the start of the year. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

FWIW, Damian Barrett wrote this in his Sliding Doors last week: (what a credible source :drunk:)
IF the Crows and the Suns have acted this week when made aware of significant player unrest against the coach... THEN the Bulldogs will be thinking about doing the same.

There's a few clubs where the tail is wagging the dog and I reckon it's a causal effect from the introduction of free agency.

If the rumour is true and it's Minson against McCartney, then I'd be putting Minson out and backing McCartney in. McCartney's the man down there for now. A bit like Scott. Questions over whether or not he can truly be an elite coach but seems to be an excellent teacher and motivator of young men.

I wouldn't back McCartney in.
If McCartney doesn't have the respect of the playing group it's probably because they haven't seen him play football.
Non playing coaches don't make good coaches IMO - and even more so in an environment where the tail is wagging the dog.
Coaches need to be respected, sometimes even feared, that type of coach wouldn't of been pushed out at Adelaide.

If McCartney doesn't have the respect of the playing group it's probably because they haven't seen him play football.
Non playing coaches don't make good coaches IMO
Why? Being a coach has little bearing as to whether you have played football at the highest level or not. Look at all the players who were great AFL players and mediocre coaches the list is massive, Voss, Hird, Buckley & (Hardwick just quietly) just recently have all been trash, Hird has ruined Essendon but he still gets a pass from the supporters because he was a good player when in reality he has done more damage to the club than any good he bought to it as a player.

Non playing coaches don't make good coaches IMO - and even more so in an environment where the tail is wagging the dog.
Coaches need to be respected, sometimes even feared, that type of coach wouldn't of been pushed out at Adelaide.
Why wasn't Voss respected at Brisbane? He was one of the greatest players of all time.

Ross Lyon, Al Clarkson and Ken Hinkley all played about 130 largely forgettable games at 2 different clubs, the least of any coaches besides Alan Richardson. Yet they are 3 of the best 5 coaches in the AFL. So does it follow that if you didn't play AFL you can't coach? But if you played AFL you are a better coach if you were just an ordinary player?

Why wasn't Voss respected at Brisbane? He was one of the greatest players of all time.

Ross Lyon, Al Clarkson and Ken Hinkley all played about 130 largely forgettable games at 2 different clubs, the least of any coaches besides Alan Richardson. Yet they are 3 of the best 5 coaches in the AFL. So does it follow that if you didn't play AFL you can't coach? But if you played AFL you are a better coach if you were just an ordinary player?

Voss was respected, that is why he had free reign to do as he pleased - a little too well respected.
It was Vossy's trading which shot him in the foot.

As for Clarkson, Hinkley and Lyon, all servicable players on their day.
The way Clarkson played football he demanded respect - which is similar to his coaching style.
Hinkley and Lyon were servicable, they did all the one percenters to make it as footballers - which reflects in their style of coaching.
There aren't really any reference points for McCartney, the players don't respect him.
Non playing coaches will never have that respect, they are talked up by people outside of football by people who don't know football.

yeah I found that a bit strange. Caro said there were riffs between some senior players and the coach, but amazingly between senior players and the young pups as well. If true, sounds like a few egos need to be put back in their place. Maybe this is why the club dropped badly in the last 2 months of the H&A season.

They bonded by playing Guitar Hero? :p

There aren't really any reference points for McCartney, the players don't respect him.
Non playing coaches will never have that respect, they are talked up by people outside of football by people who don't know football.
:$

And if that actually is the case football is backwards in a big way.

Look at sport all over the world

Wenger, Mourinho, Ferguson, Klopp etc.

Numerous NBA coaches

many weren't the best at playing but it doesn't mean they aren't great coaches because of that, in a lot of instances they are better at coaching than coaches who played and excelled at the highest level.

Even playing 1 game at the highest level puts a coach on a different level as far as perception. I like McCartney and hope he succeeds but that is just the reality. Especially when so much of the motivational aspect is about sacrificing your body for the team and willing yourself to the next contest no matter how stuffed you feel. It's simple human nature that a guy who has played 200 games will be rolling his eyes even slightly and thinking "Who is he to tell me that?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have read elsewhere that Will Minson and coach McCartney had a bit of a row during their post-season meeting.
?

Mark Stevens tweeted about half an hour ago:
Will Minson agreed in a chat with @7NewsMelbourne he deserved to be dropped, no issue with tough review .. Trade talk nonsense .. Needed!

They don't make up crap.

It'd be legit. Somebody would have stuffed up somebody's lunch order I reckon.

DISHARMONY!
I'm pretty sure Big Will nicked Ben Hudson's MISSION lunch 5 years ago.

Expect a mass exodus.

Hawthorn players would have seen Alan Jeans play???

Richmond players of seventies wouldnt of seen Hafey play and if they did it wouldnt have blown thier mind as to his rep as a player.

Both these guys had modest playing records.

Last edited:
V
As for Clarkson, Hinkley and Lyon, all servicable players on their day.
The way Clarkson played football he demanded respect - which is similar to his coaching style.
Hinkley and Lyon were servicable, they did all the one percenters to make it as footballers - which reflects in their style of coaching.

Hinkley was far better than that. Dont let his modesty fool you, he was one of Geelongs most important players in those Blight days. Not anywhere near a plodder but rather good attacking defender.

Dont think I would be going overboard if I put him in the champion class as a player.

Hinkley was far better than that. Dont let his modesty fool you, he was one of Geelongs most important players in those Blight days. Not anywhere near a plodder but rather good attacking defender.

Dont think I would be going overboard if I put him in the champion class as a player.
Was just going to say it was a bit unfair to lump Hinkley in with the other two. Even Lyon was a level above Clarko.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a football journeyman at the highest level. I and plenty of others with a lot more talent and dedication would have been happy with half his career. (The North Melbourne half personally).

Do people still read those? He probably writes them in his lunch break.
I read it every week, always good for a laugh. I make a game of guessing which of his strong opinions he's completely back flipped on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back