Division 1 2018 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are Just about due for a Rodney Eade article it’s been 2 weeks!! Or the football manager whinging to the leader about injuries again.

Plenty of issues D1 football if you guys are struggling to find something to talk about.My gut feeling is there are only 3 of you guys on this site any way,lol

1 Doncaster loss to Blackburn.
2 Vermont v Knox 1's playing at 12.00 followed by the senior girls match,have both clubs got that one right schedule wise
but well done to them in promoting womens football.
3 Knox 2's forfeiting and no U19's is a worry as no one likes to see senior clubs struggling like this.
4 East Ringwood loss to Montrose,does this mean no more ER in the top division which I think would be first.

And I continue to look at the clubs that will be the powers of the D1 or Premier division in the short term future looking at the current ladders 1's,2's and U19's and they will be Vermont,Blackburn and Norwood as they have put the hard work in developing their juniors who are the most important part of any senior football club.

Last edited:
Amazed that Rowville who in my opinion have a list of home grown players as strong as any seem to get minimal recognition for this. I have little idea on the set-up of most junior clubs but in my area I would have thought Rowville are amongst the strongest.

I would agree with that and would be in the top 6 I would think.There was a list brought out last season and I think was shown in the EFL 2017 annual report.

PS As a follow up to that I have just checked the annual report and this only shows senior EFL clubs with junior sides in the EFL I think and if we go by boys sides only Vermont and Blackburn head the list.But a real surprise to me is Lysterfield who are nearly as big as both.But these figures can be mis leading as there are
a few clubs out there like Park Orchards who have many junior sides in the Yarra Junior F L and these are not counted in the annual report.

Last edited:
Just a casual observer of this site now (once a huge advocate... ) but interesting to hear Knox forfeited their 2s. Being involved in qld footy you would often get the assumption from anyone who moved north that the football Mecca called Victoria can do no wrong as far as football decisions go. If I had a dollar for every time I hear “wouldn’t happen back in Victoria” I’d be a wealthier man...

Damo I know you have a foot in both camps now and just so you know rolled your div 1 side on the weekend in a Mud heap but your boys were not disgraced and importantly saw quite a few plus brett over at the clubhouse post game (hasn’t been the case with every side this year!) so interested to hear your thoughts. Knox forfeiting 2s would be the equivalent of a qafl side doing this here which would be unheard of and if it did then there would be all hell breaking loose about the state of qld footy, generally from people who have been involved for about 5min.

My thinking is, is that footy all over the country is pretty much the same, every club battles to get sides on the paddock, convincing colts to continue on is a Challenge, convincing juniors to play colts is a challenge, convincing blokes to play for minimal $$ and appreciate that they are bleeding a sport dry in their personal quest of one upmanship as to who is paid the most is a challenge. Getting volunteers is a challenge. Not sure any of it I see unique to a particular part of the country’s. It just is. Good clubs will cultivate a great environment and if that mean something having to be “flexible” in allowing blokes to head on their summer European trip then so be it. More and more the decisions tha5 are made at club land will affect the progress of that club going fwd from executive level down To coaching.

Just so you guys know, there would be nearly a Dozen qld blokes that are FIFO for Victorian clubs right now getting paid up to $1500/game. Complete and utter madness.

Just a casual observer of this site now (once a huge advocate... ) but interesting to hear Knox forfeited their 2s. Being involved in qld footy you would often get the assumption from anyone who moved north that the football Mecca called Victoria can do no wrong as far as football decisions go. If I had a dollar for every time I hear “wouldn’t happen back in Victoria” I’d be a wealthier man...

Damo I know you have a foot in both camps now and just so you know rolled your div 1 side on the weekend in a Mud heap but your boys were not disgraced and importantly saw quite a few plus brett over at the clubhouse post game (hasn’t been the case with every side this year!) so interested to hear your thoughts. Knox forfeiting 2s would be the equivalent of a qafl side doing this here which would be unheard of and if it did then there would be all hell breaking loose about the state of qld footy, generally from people who have been involved for about 5min.

My thinking is, is that footy all over the country is pretty much the same, every club battles to get sides on the paddock, convincing colts to continue on is a Challenge, convincing juniors to play colts is a challenge, convincing blokes to play for minimal $$ and appreciate that they are bleeding a sport dry in their personal quest of one upmanship as to who is paid the most is a challenge. Getting volunteers is a challenge. Not sure any of it I see unique to a particular part of the country’s. It just is. Good clubs will cultivate a great environment and if that mean something having to be “flexible” in allowing blokes to head on their summer European trip then so be it. More and more the decisions tha5 are made at club land will affect the progress of that club going fwd from executive level down To coaching.

I would think a real concern to the EFL is the gap between D1 and D2 with the premiers of D2 the last 2 seasons just out of their depth when promoted.A number of reasons for that and lets hope 5 divisions next season and of cause the points system can help solve this problem.In Knox's case it seems to many of the 2017 premiership team have decided D1 football is not for me and lower division football is the way to go.Also important to remember Wynd ,Slater and co EB legends at Knox who have decided to return to EB who were struggling and taken a few of the Knox boys with them."Good clubs will cultivate a great environment" is a interesting comment as I am sure Knox had that but their leaders returned to East Burwood and a few of the Knox boys have followed.PS Back to the comment "Good clubs will cultivate a good environment" would this perhaps be the reason why 2 senior teams no junior club on a 50 plus losing sequence and Nunawading continue to field 2 senior teams every week.

Last edited:
I would think a real concern to the EFL is the gap between D1 and D2 with the premiers of D2 the last 2 seasons just out of their depth when promoted.A number of reasons for that and lets hope 5 divisions next season and of cause the points system can help solve this problem.In Knox's case it seems to many of the 2017 premiership team have decided D1 football is not for me and lower division football is the way to go.Also important to remember Wynd ,Slater and co EB legends at Knox who have decided to return to EB who were struggling and taken a few of the Knox boys with them."Good clubs will cultivate a great environment" is a interesting comment as I am sure Knox had that but their leaders returned to East Burwood and a few of the Knox boys have followed.PS Back to the comment "Good clubs will cultivate a good environment" would this perhaps be the reason why 2 senior teams no junior club on a 50 plus losing sequence and Nunawading continue to field 2 senior teams every week.
You have just answered your own concern. Knox for some reason lost most of their list so were never going to compete. That’s nothing to do with any gap between tge divisions. Bayswater weren’t “out of their depth “ !! They pushed several top sides and recorded wins over Rowville and Montrose in the run Home . They’ve come back with a similar squad and are sitting 7 and 5. So hardly pointing to this supposed huge gap . You have ignored Doncaster North Ringwood Montrose and Rowville as the preceding promoted teams who have performed admirably in the higher level. 3 of those sides having played finals in Div 1 over the past 4 years .

You have just answered your own concern. Knox for some reason lost most of their list so were never going to compete. That’s nothing to do with any gap between tge divisions. Bayswater weren’t “out of their depth “ !! They pushed several top sides and recorded wins over Rowville and Montrose in the run Home . They’ve come back with a similar squad and are sitting 7 and 5. So hardly pointing to this supposed huge gap . You have ignored Doncaster North Ringwood Montrose and Rowville as the preceding promoted teams who have performed admirably in the higher level. 3 of those sides having played finals in Div 1 over the past 4 years .
Agree with this.
Good management, player retention and smart recruiting doesn't hurt

Agree with this.
Good management, player retention and smart recruiting doesn't hurt
Not sure what happened at Knox. Luke Williams leaving wouldn’t have helped player retention. I’ve heard their budget is way under the cap which wouldn’t have helped . On that note the other likely demoted team for 2019 East Ringwood also haven’t the cash to match it with most other Div 1 clubs .

Not sure what happened at Knox. Luke Williams leaving wouldn’t have helped player retention. I’ve heard their budget is way under the cap which wouldn’t have helped . On that note the other likely demoted team for 2019 East Ringwood also haven’t the cash to match it with most other Div 1 clubs .

And lets look at the current D2 clubs,how many of them are ready to take the step into D1/Premier in season 2020.Lilydale/Park Orchards definately on the right track with their junior development program where the points system so important and perhaps lets add UFTG where the cash will not be issue if they keep all these promising juniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And lets look at the current D2 clubs,how many of them are ready to take the step into D1/Premier in season 2020.Lilydale/Park Orchards definately on the right track with their junior development program where the points system so important and perhaps lets add UFTG where the cash will not be issue if they keep all these promising juniors.
Yes Lilydale and Park Orchards best placed . Donnie East seem to have the cash to recruit the top end players needed but may struggle for junior talent and depth . Upper have plenty of young talent but lack the 25 to 30 age group to drive it . Hard to see any others making an impact . Park Orchards should be the next Rowville.

Spot on with Knox - budget well below all clubs in the Division.

An exodus of players hurts even power clubs - Noble Park, I believe they have done extremely well to be as productive as they have & I have been through a similar set of circumstances in a particular year. Very tough.

East Ringwood - similar in that as stated budget restraints have hurt. That said I believe they are a strong chance to return to the top grade in the near future if they can get back their VFL players. Tough situation for them, they have some home growns that have rarely been seen at EFL level this season that we know can play at this level. They also 'recruited' some others in the VFL system but they also have been rarely seen in 2018. This is part of the perils of tracking down this path.

I would also argue that Bayswater were not at the required level in 2017 & have had conversations with some at that club in regards to this. They were aware that this was the case but you can only recruit what you can afford. If you win a 2nd Division flag & come up you need to add some top grade talent around 6 players to what you have while retaining the current side. Baysie retained well but were unable to add the necessary top end talent.

Unless you have exceptional home grown talent (Rowville) & lot's of it you will not cut it in the top grade. There is still a reliance on external playing assistance at pretty much all top grade clubs. The best positioned clubs are those that are a hybrid. I struggle to see current sides below at this point that are in such a position, but they do have until 2020 to get there.

Spot on with Knox - budget well below all clubs in the Division.

An exodus of players hurts even power clubs - Noble Park, I believe they have done extremely well to be as productive as they have & I have been through a similar set of circumstances in a particular year. Very tough.

East Ringwood - similar in that as stated budget restraints have hurt. That said I believe they are a strong chance to return to the top grade in the near future if they can get back their VFL players. Tough situation for them, they have some home growns that have rarely been seen at EFL level this season that we know can play at this level. They also 'recruited' some others in the VFL system but they also have been rarely seen in 2018. This is part of the perils of tracking down this path.

I would also argue that Bayswater were not at the required level in 2017 & have had conversations with some at that club in regards to this. They were aware that this was the case but you can only recruit what you can afford. If you win a 2nd Division flag & come up you need to add some top grade talent around 6 players to what you have while retaining the current side. Baysie retained well but were unable to add the necessary top end talent.

Unless you have exceptional home grown talent (Rowville) & lot's of it you will not cut it in the top grade. There is still a reliance on external playing assistance at pretty much all top grade clubs. The best positioned clubs are those that are a hybrid. I struggle to see current sides below at this point that are in such a position, but they do have until 2020 to get there.
Agree with most of your comments Bobby . Not sure about the Noble Park situation. 4 wins to date is a very poor return from a once power club . Have an inkling the culture of the club has deteriorated. Recall after a poor showing in 2014 their first year coach was moved on rather unceremoniously after 14 or so rounds . Back in comes a favourite son and really what’s changed ? His second coming is a abject fail. I’m hearing you re East Ringwood but really they have been going nowhere in Div 1 for a number of years and their body of work over this period says they needed to go down and restock. The points system has evened things up and as long as you can pay near the salary cap you have a chance to be competitive.

I’m OS Rich, so would love your take. TBH with some of our outs I didn’t expect this. Was getting regular updates & sounded as though we had blown our early chances.

Obviously thrilled to beat a side we hugely respect.

Sounds like a ripper of a game if you are a Doncaster supporter,only in front for 20 seconds of the game and the important part the end.Balwyn's loss and Montrose's win other big results especially for Montrose as it now looks like they are safe from relegation and East Ringwood will join Knox in D1 next season.

Sounds like a ripper of a game if you are a Doncaster supporter,only in front for 20 seconds of the game and the important part the end.Balwyn's loss and Montrose's win other big results especially for Montrose as it now looks like they are safe from relegation and East Ringwood will join Knox in D1 next season.
You would be pleased to know dogga curtis was at the game today and the song wasnt sung until he joined in.very touching moment and im sure dogga enjoyed it .

You would be pleased to know dogga curtis was at the game today and the song wasnt sung until he joined in.very touching moment and im sure dogga enjoyed it .

G - your old mate Dogga had his mother pass away from a cancer battle in the last 36 hours.

Means a lot to win one for the family. Love that family.

From myself and I am sure a few of us Mitcham boys when we won a D3 flag in 2015 on a Sunday and Doncaster won a D2 on a Saturday will remember Luke turning up at our G after going home after 24 hours and spotted the lights on and I might join the Mitcham celebrations.A great a guy and thoughts are with him and his family.

From myself and I am sure a few of us Mitcham boys when we won a D3 flag in 2015 on a Sunday and Doncaster won a D2 on a Saturday will remember Luke turning up at our G after going home after 24 hours and spotted the lights on and I might join the Mitcham celebrations.A great a guy and thoughts are with him and his family.
Pretty sure he rang a pizza shop one time from mitcham fc ordered a home delivery walked up to the pizza shop and got a lift home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back